The day after you mess up...

Options
What do you usually do the day after you mess up?

I ate 3,000 calories yesterday (whoops!). I was having trouble deciding between eating 200 today to make up for it, or eating my usual 1200 calories.

Replies

• Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Eat the usual. In the Grand Scheme that is The Weightloss Journey, one day doesn't skew you too bad. As long as it stays at one day and doesn't become a habit.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yesterday is over, log it and move on.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    From your pic you already seem skinny. Why are you eating 1200 calories only? How much more do you want to lose? You should up the amount of calories so that you don't binge again. Your body is asking for food cuz you're feeding it too little.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

This.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    At 1200 calories, chances are you weren't eating enough anyway. Eating 200 calories on any day will more than likely result in another 3000 calorie day for you. Set your profile to a reasonable weekly weight loss goal. Although one day isn't going to hurt, you still have to eat properly on the other days.
  • AllAboutThatPace
    AllAboutThatPace Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    In the past, whenever I messed up, I used that as an excuse to give up. For example, if I splurged at breakfast, I just figured the whole day should be a bust. This time around, I don't think that way. We all mess up, just start over! And don't be so hard on yourself!
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Yeah, eating only 200 calories for the day to "make up" for the day before is not going to end well. Just continue on as normal. I totally overate on Friday and Saturday (Friday was planned, Saturday not so much) and Sunday I just got back to logging as per usual.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Well, that will be my tomorrow! I will eat my normal calories but try to keep them as clean as possible. The occasional oops! day happens - sometimes we have to clean it up throughout the week as opposed to the daily upkeep!
  • abcmommyx3
    abcmommyx3 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It's hard... I know I made some mistakes yesterday :( but that was yesterday. Last night I got a good work out in after I may or may not have eaten several things that I really should not have. This morning I woke up with a clean slate to start over again. If you try and only eat 200 calories to fix it you might just be setting yourself up to be so hungry you might binge and accidentally do it again.
  • abcmommyx3
    abcmommyx3 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Luckie519 wrote: »
    In the past, whenever I messed up, I used that as an excuse to give up. For example, if I splurged at breakfast, I just figured the whole day should be a bust. This time around, I don't think that way. We all mess up, just start over! And don't be so hard on yourself!

This was me in the past as well. Happy to move on from this
  • WildOkapi
    Options
    I've only gone over my TDEE once since I changed my diet in May. Other than that, if I go over my daily calorie goal one day, I don't cut back the next day. As long as there's a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.
  • erichegwer
    erichegwer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I had a whoops day today too. Gonna try to get through tonight and wake up with a fresh start. Great advice.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Plan better next time. It is one day. Log it and move on.
  • starrynight1929
    starrynight1929 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I ate a normal amount today.

I want to be 120 pounds and am 131... at least that's how much I was before I binged.

I want to lose one pound a week.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Agreed.

If you make a choice to indulge, do it, enjoy the hell out of it, then move on. :)
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I don't mess up, but prior to MFP, I would fall completely off the wagon, which is what landed me on MFP in the first place. Since being on MFP for nearly a year though, I have not "messed up" once. I'm too busy focusing on my overall health to mess up now.

Like previously mentioned, one day of overeating won't hurt you in the grand scheme of it all; HOWEVER, don't let one day turn into multiple days, months and years. Eat balanced meals within your calorie range the day after and exercise if you can.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? If you are only 131 and your picture is any indicator, you are already at normal weight. It's unlikely you'll lose at the rate of 1 lb. a week. Aim for a more reasonable goal, like .5 a week, since you don't have much to lose.
  • starrynight1929
    starrynight1929 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6. I only burn 1700 calories a day, that's why I eat 1200
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Uh yeah, I'm 5'6" too, and I eat almost 1,700 calories a day to lose. I also suspect I'm a bit older than you as well, which means your BMR would be higher than mine.
  • mchouav
    Options
    If I ate too much the day before, and I usually work out 3x a week, then I add in another workout day to make up for all those extra calories. Don't beat yourself up for it. Life goes on :)