Samsung Galaxy S Heatlh Pedometer - How accurate are the calories burned

Options
Hi all,

I recently got a Samsung Galaxy S5 and have been using its inbuilt S Health app to track my daily steps while attemptin to reach 10,000 steps a day. The app seems pretty good at counting my steps but I'm worried that it is overestimating the calories burned.

According to the app when I walked 10,002 steps I covered 11.63 kms (7.23 mi) and burned 1059 kCAL (4,434 Kilojoules).

I am a hair under 6 ft and currently weigh around 94 kgs (207 pounds).

Does this seem accurate?

Anyone else who uses another pedometer I'd be interested to hear how your calories and distance compare per 10000 steps.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My LG g3 phone says I walked 3500 and burned 97 calories.
    Eta...I accidentally snuck in a two hour nap at work today, I'm 5'9" 165
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Its comparible to runtastic. Only off between the two a hundred steps. I tried map my walk but I dont find it to be accurate. I usually take the steps from runtastic and put it in a step calculator and thats the way I get my miles as accurate. Bc between the samsung walkmate and runtastic they are very close to eachother. I run all 3 apps every walk to compare miles steps and time.
  • ozzy_q
    ozzy_q Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Its comparible to runtastic. Only off between the two a hundred steps. I tried map my walk but I dont find it to be accurate. I usually take the steps from runtastic and put it in a step calculator and thats the way I get my miles as accurate. Bc between the samsung walkmate and runtastic they are very close to eachother. I run all 3 apps every walk to compare miles steps and time.

Thanks I might give runtastic a go and compare - what was the neame of the step calculator you use? and do you find the calories burned are similar between runtastic and s health?

• ozzy_q
    Options
    Eta...I accidentally snuck in a two hour nap at work today, I'm 5'9" 165

Haha awesome

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    I don't use a pedometer to estimate calories, just steps. My Galaxy S5 counts more steps than my pedometer when I have them both with me, but I don't always have my phone with me so it doesn't really work well for counting all my steps for the day.
  • ozzy_q
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    I don't use a pedometer to estimate calories, just steps. My Galaxy S5 counts more steps than my pedometer when I have them both with me, but I don't always have my phone with me so it doesn't really work well for counting all my steps for the day.

Thanks - yeah I think the accelerometer in the phone works a little differently to a standard pedometer