Ate a whole pint of ice cream- HELP!??!

Options
skyfitz
skyfitz Posts: 1
edited November 2014 in Food and Nutrition
So last night my grandma came home with 4 (yes, 4) pints of ice cream. I usually never eat ice cream and was about to pass when I saw Haagen Daz's Vanilla Swiss Almond. I'm a lover of all things vanilla and almond so I thought I'd try a tiny spoonful. BIG MISTAKE. I ended up eating half the carton that night even though I had finished off a large meal for dinner! I regretted it last night when I went to sleep but then I ate it again for breakfast this morning! Then when I got back from school I finished off the whole carton of the ice cream as well as eat a spoonful of the Coffee flavored ice cream as well. I'm so worried about gaining weight from this and I regret this so much now. My stomach is already bigger when it was completely flat and toned two days ago and now it looks like I'm almost pregnant. I've been eating basically junk food for the past three days and am so worried because I hadn't had time to exercise all week. I'm not a very active person either, I'll pretty much jog for 30 minutes 3x and do some cardio a few times but that's it. How much weight will I gain from this and how can I get back on track??

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way: The carton of ice cream is done and gone. Don't buy another one :) Go to a friends place and bring the remaining flavours to share. Sometimes, you need to just forgive and forget, just move on ;) Or make smaller changes again. Like tell yourself, ok if this ice cream has to be here, I can have 3 scoops per week. Or something like that!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should learn to practice genuine moderation instead of eating a crapload of calorie-dense food in a short period.

You'll gain a few lbs of water weight. Stop freaking out.
  • trekkie_bbs
    trekkie_bbs Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I agree with ana3067. However I myself have done the same thing and know your aggervation so I feel for you. I as much as it stinks follow VeryKatie's suggestion and just don't buy it.

As far as your stomach getting bigger as ana3067 said stop freaking out it is more than likely water weight and will pass. For me this was true.
  • erichegwer
    erichegwer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat with VeryKatie - if it's in my house, I'll eat it. Get rid of it - Toss it, give it to a friend, heck hand it to a homeless guy. Get it out of sight and temptation.
  • the_great_unknown
    the_great_unknown Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It will take you 3500 extra calories to gain a pound. From what I remember, those pints are about 1200. You might slow your losses, but I don't think you're in danger of gaining unless you were already over your calories by a lot.

Hopefully you enjoyed it and you'll think long and hard before doing it again and definitely, don't make it a habit.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I've ate a whole pint a few times throughout my weight loss & get this I still lost weight, because I fit it into my daily calories & measured it on a food scale.

There's nothing wrong with eating junk food, but learning how to eat it in moderation can take a little time. If you have a few foods that you can't eat in moderation at this time then I would either gift them to someone or stop buying them until you can learn moderation.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    tomorrow is a new day...carry on.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    You binged. I understand. stay far, far away from the trigger foods, you'll know which are yours. Don't even take the first bite because as you saw, if you do then you're gone. Work out harder this week and just take it as one of those lessons we learn during the journey.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    _Log it_. Whatever's over your TDEE, carry over into the next day. Work around it. No big crisis. But try not to do that again.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Tonight I went over my calorie limit by 2,000 calories because I was stressing from grad school and have been training very hard at basketball and in the gym. I had chips, cookies, and chocolate milk until I wanted no more of it.

MFP tells me that my body needs about 2800 calories a day, but once in a while, my mind and soul need a bit more. o:)

Relax and move on. You are going to be alright.
  • LettingTheSmallStuffGo
    Options
    Get back on track and drink lots of water to flush that out.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead for the next temptation. I have ate more than I planned before. Don't let it derail you. Maybe save ice cream for a treat that you go out for so you can limit yourself to a scoop?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    The whole pint of ice cream was 1050 calories. You have a daily deficit of what? Either 1000 or 500 calories? So if you go over your calorie goal by 1050 calories, then you have wiped out your deficit for today and yesterday. You'll reach your goal a whole two days later than you otherwise would have.

Doesn't seem like such a big deal, does it? Now, if you did that every day, that would be a different story...but once in a while? No biggie.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    omg,you are going to gain 50 pounds,just wait until your next weigh in...................................... jokes Lol seriously,just get back on track tomorrow
  • Travis_2
    Travis_2 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    Wait. It took you two days to finish a pint? I thought those were single servings...
  • I went to a wine maker's dinner, ate too much and tried a lot of wine. I don't do that very often. The day after, I eat lightly and snack on apples, celery, salads and such. Do the same and I suggest as others have not keeping those trigger foods in the house. I never have ice cream or potato chips in my house because I know I would be tempted.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I also look at it this way: The day after a heavy weight session, I might as well splurge a little and go up to maintenance, because I'm more likely to build muscle then. If I'm not sore, I'm more likely to be strict.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Travis_2 wrote: »
    Wait. It took you two days to finish a pint? I thought those were single servings...

Usually 4 servings of 1/2 cup each. Even so, Ben and Jerry's comes in at 200-220 calories per serving, so that "binge" was spread out over the course of two days putting roughly an extra 400-440 calories on her day.

OP, I honestly wouldn't even sweat it in the long run.

ETA: Haagen Daz's Vanilla Swiss Almond is 290 calories per serving.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Maybe you should learn to practice genuine moderation instead of eating a crapload of calorie-dense food in a short period.

You'll gain a few lbs of water weight. Stop freaking out.

what she said. the last part.

• Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    skyfitz wrote: »
    So last night my grandma came home with 4 (yes, 4) pints of ice cream. I usually never eat ice cream and was about to pass when I saw Haagen Daz's Vanilla Swiss Almond. I'm a lover of all things vanilla and almond so I thought I'd try a tiny spoonful. BIG MISTAKE. I ended up eating half the carton that night even though I had finished off a large meal for dinner! I regretted it last night when I went to sleep but then I ate it again for breakfast this morning! Then when I got back from school I finished off the whole carton of the ice cream as well as eat a spoonful of the Coffee flavored ice cream as well. I'm so worried about gaining weight from this and I regret this so much now. My stomach is already bigger when it was completely flat and toned two days ago and now it looks like I'm almost pregnant. I've been eating basically junk food for the past three days and am so worried because I hadn't had time to exercise all week. I'm not a very active person either, I'll pretty much jog for 30 minutes 3x and do some cardio a few times but that's it. How much weight will I gain from this and how can I get back on track??

You only ate a pint of ice cream? Amateur.