Replies

• opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Brilliant! You can do it sir!
  • chesnity3
    chesnity3 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Incredible job! You'll be at 100lbs loss in no time!
  • rcookenc
    Options
    you. are. awesome!!!!

what an amazing job!

I too am glad you have waited on the surgery. It makes me sad so many people seem to just jump into it, it seems such a permanent fix to a temporary problem. I know it takes a lot of mental work to get out of being morbidly obese but it's not like there is not a ton of mental work that has to go into permanent success with the surgery as well. At least without the surgery you can eat a cookie without barfing. And at morbidly obese one can eat SO MANY CALORIES and still lose weight. To resign yourself to the lifetime consequences of the surgery and what it does to eating just makes me sad.

My husband has been where you will find yourself in the not too distant future and he has been losing at a good clip while still enjoying all kinds of wonderful foods and cooking and etc. He still gets to eat ice cream and all kinds of things without having to worry about horrors like dumping syndrome.

I guess for some people it is a last resort as I guess they can't lose other than to eat 800 calories a day or whatever those surgeries leave you at, but it seems like doctors are willing to do it too quickly for some. I figure I can eat 800 calories a day without having myself hacked up and not being able to eat a cookie now and again (and yes, I am at the size where I see many people getting surgery, or at least I certainly started there. And I eat way more than that I'm just saying seems I'd much rather VLCD on it's own without the surgery were that a necessity).

Sorry I am rambling, I am just so happy to see someone make the connection that if they can have such success on the pre-op diet it might be worth continuing to see if they can just keep going the way they are already having success. You are an inspiration for sure!

Thanks, and you are exactly right. If I have the surgery, I will only be able to eat a small amount and little calories. Plus there will be foods I can never eat again :( So what is to keep me from eating a small amount of calories now? Why can't I lose this on my own, without being hacked up? And after all is said and done, why can't I enjoy some ice cream in moderation? I CAN!!! It all boils down to willpower. Most people don't stay on a diet long enough to see any real accomplishment. And when you don't see results, you give up. Or some people claim they are on a diet, but still drink regular soda, eat cookies and candy bars, ice cream, and fast food almost everyday. Even if you have reduced your calories by a little-That is NO DIET. Some people are happy with losing 2-5 lbs a month. But when you are cutting it that close, it only takes one or two slip ups and you have lost nothing, or even gained-and you get discouraged. Now imagine if that person replaced all those bad foods with health, low calorie, high protein foods..... Well that is what I did, and I am enjoying huge losses right now. Do I get cravings? Of course I do. But I just think about- if I stay true to myself I can lose another 6-8 lbs this WEEK. I don't know about you all, but that gets me excited!! I don't dread my diet, I LOVE my diet.
  • rcookenc
    Options
    Thanks for all the love and support. I really appreciated it. I hope that my journey may be of some inspiration to someone else. If there is any way I can help any of you, please send me a message.
  • lilunsure
    lilunsure Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Congrats and keep up the fantastic job you are doing!
  • Jessica_Rhae
    Jessica_Rhae Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You rock!
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Best wishes. Health issues eliminated any surgery for me. In the last 12 months, I have known 2 people that opted for surgery. One = great success and the other person—sadly – weighs more than they did pre-op.

Before MFP, I felt doomed to eternal fat-dom. I said nothing to anyone (except my wife) and gave calorie counting a 1 month try and have never looked back.

It has been 1 yr. and I’m down 156…with 15-32 pounds to goal. Target = February 2015. Weight-loss can be difficult for anyone, but when we look to lose 100, 200 etc. pounds it can be daunting. Again – best of luck no matter which way things go.
  • cookiemonster_WV
    Options
    Woo Hoo! Keep it going.
  • annika2012
    annika2012 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Congrats ! You should have a party for each 100 you lose.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Great job!

Also how did the OP get flagged for spam?!
  • KellyGettingHealthy
    Options
    That's really wonderful, congrats on your hard work!
  • LettingTheSmallStuffGo
    Options
    Dance party!! B) I found out today that my assistant wants bariatric surgery. The conversation started because I commented that his shirts were looking looser. He said he had lost 69 pounds in the last 6 months and it wasn't super hard. I told him about your post and encouraged him to continue on his own (as that surgery is so permanent and not without risks) but he's pretty intent. I'm not against the surgery but with you doing so well and he's doing so well I think it's wise to try to continue on your own. YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic!!! Keep it going. You can do it!!!
  • rcookenc
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the love and support. :D
  • rcookenc
    Options
    Ceci_O_K wrote: »
    Great job!

Don't know who you mean by OP. I have not flagged anyone.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    rcookenc wrote: »
    Ceci_O_K wrote: »
    Great job!

Don't know who you mean by OP. I have not flagged anyone.

Your Original Post has been flagged by someone as Spam.

pwvpowigpux3.jpg
  • optionalsourcewins
    optionalsourcewins Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    That's AWESOME - great job!!!
  • KingOfTheBurke
    Options
    I'm crazy-proud of you, brother.
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    congrats on all your hard work and success!
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! Great news. Keep moving forward!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!