So off track :( Don't know how to pick myself up.

Options
I always find myself cheating and can't help myself. So off track with healthy eating, I need some motivation. How do you find your motivation? Do you have any motivational quotes? or tips?

Thanks x

Replies

• pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Ack I wish I had something insightful and mind blowing for you.... but I dont. :\

The occasional treat is fine, I wouldn't worry too much about that, if it feels like a burning desire to binge, then I would worry a little more. Depends what your perspective on "cheating" is really.

I never use words like that, I either hit my cals and macros, or i don't. Tomorrow is another day etc.

From your pic it does'nt look like you have anything to lose, so I am assuming you are referring to healthier food options?

Maybe only have half of the thing you are eating if you feel it is something you would class as a "cheat" choice lol! x
  • TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I often used to get really bummed when I had a day or two of horrible eating and it would always throw me off really bad and sometimes end up quitting.

This most recent attempt at sticking with healthy eating and losing weight I tried to think a little more logically. If I had just said "screw it. I had a bad day, time to get back to it!" Every time The very next day after a crap day, I'd have long since hit my goal.

So now if I have a day where I eat horrible I just move forward and don't let it bring me down. This past week I had a few days not tracking or exercising and drank/ate a little too much and gained some weight back. But whatever, Monday morning rolled around and I'm right back on it. If I continue on I'll be at the exact same place I was 2 weeks ago, BUT I will be back on a downward trend. That's better than giving up the progress I've already made.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Draw up a list of why you want to lose the weight, print it out and stick it on the wall.
    Set realistic and attainable targets.
    One day at a time.
    Have an emergency strategy to deal with weeks like this which you can cling to.
    Whats done is done. Focus on doing things right for one day, three days a week and take it from there. I find the toughest aspect is getting myself into the gym, but if you wnat what getting to target means then you will make the effort.

Worry less about the healthy eating but start with hitting your calorie tragets each day and making sure your deficit is accurately maintained. It may be just portion control will mean you are hungry on high calorie foods, so you can then look into more fruit and veg and lean proteins. Focus really hard on each day and the week will take care of itself.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Just get back to it the next day. I've been having a lot of bad days lately but I've managed to limit the damage by sticking to it and trying to keep a bigger deficit on the days it just seems 'easier', if it makes sense (when I don't get hungry or mad cravings).
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I will go thru my diary for my really good days...duplicate one and get to the gym. I don't beat myself up I just move forward. The way I see it...everything else moves forward regardless of the circumstances, so should I.
    Very good luck to you. Just the fact you are reaching out about this shows determination.
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Being pregnant for a second time, I feel really discouraged at times. I'm 27 weeks along, and up 34 pounds because I wasn't logging until the past month. The biggest thing I have accomplished is just logging my food regularly, keeping my diary open to my friends so they can see my good days...and my embarrassingly horrible days. I have also formed a good friendship with some of these people over the months, and I genuinely care about their success and they care about mine, so it keeps me around! :)
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Just have to keep at it; you will have plenty of bad days, however, continuous effort is the key to unlocking your potential. Picture yourself how you wish to be and go after it - one baby step at a time.
  • glowgirl14
    glowgirl14 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're going about this the wrong way. One of myfavorite mantras is this: If a system continually fails, there is a flaw in the system. Motivation is a complex and personal thing. So why is your system failing? Is it what you are eating? When? How much?

I fought myself for years trying to make salads every day for lunch and eat carrots and hummus for snacks. 5 tiny meals a day. That's not how I eat. Even when I am not counting calories. I eat one big meal a day, maybe 2. Lunch was very likely to be a candy bar. I constantly craved chocolate and was frustrated by the amount of prep time involved in my life. I often forget to eat, and when that happens I want to be able to grab something I can eat while going about my day. I hated family meals where everyone else was having pasta and dessert while I had tasteless raw food.

Losig weight and sticking with my plan is so much easier when I look at these things. Having healthy nutrient dense sweet food that took less than 5 mins to prepare, and that I could eat on the go, eating light during the day so I can have a significant dinner with dessert, pre logging my food so I have a general idea of what I want to eat, and trying to leave myself a few calories for anything I might want during the day.

Take a few minutes and think about what is causing you to fail...if you are craving treats, it might be as simple as allowing yourself one every day. The point is, anyone can follow a diet for a few days...but true change is is hard, especially if you are fighting your natural rhythms.
  • buzzardsrule
    buzzardsrule Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Remember why you started this and what you've achieved so far. It's probably best if you allow yourself some of the foods you feel you're cheating with to stop yourself from feeling deprived. Lately I've gone crazy with chocolate, cake and bread. I logged it all and seeing the weight gain (as well as how crap I felt) made me realise that It's not a habit I want to go back to and I don't want to undo all the hard work I've done to lose the weight in the first place. For me it's not worth it. I know I have to work harder on keeping good habits and I will get where I want to be. You will too. Having said that I do have a tendency to overeat plain raw cashews but I don't have them all the time and I'd rather eat too much of those than chocolates, biscuits and cake.
  • Ferrous_Female_Dog
    Ferrous_Female_Dog Posts: 221 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Cheating? On what?

Here are my tips:
    1. Find a form of exercise you actually enjoy. Dancing, walking, hula hooping, rock climbing, whatever. Find a fun thing that gets you moving and do it.
    2. Do not restrict any types of food. You can have candy. You can have bread. You can have chocolate ice cream. Just have them in such a way that fits into your calorie goal.
    3. Set a realistic weight loss goal. .75-1.5lbs per week is safe/realistic.
    4. Don't tie your weight loss goal to a specific date.
    5. Set an attainable calorie goal. Unless directed by a doctor, I think 1200 is too low. Not because you'll die but because it's just damn hard to eat so few calories and still enjoy life. Yes, weight loss isn't easy, but it doesn't have to be torture. I know many women who have success in the 1450-1750 calorie ranges.
    6. Keep a journal. Don't feel happy? Write about it. Want to stuff your face? Write about it. Feel bored? Write about it. Just finished working out? Write about it. You'll begin to notice patterns over time and can use them to you advantage.
    7. Forgive yourself.

Good luck!
  • rsjohnb
    rsjohnb Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    HAHA good questions, I'm an Angel Monday to Thursday then despite my best endeavours it all goes to pot at the weekend. I suppose that's the first step, catch what your doing wrong identify when it happens and then combat it by replacing/substituting those actions...... easy to type not so easy to do...... don't worry your not alone :smile:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Only you can motivate you; no one else can do it for you. Good advice in here so far. Just a few points that I think are super important:

Start by simply logging everything you eat or drink. Eat what you normally eat just track it. After a few days, look at what you've been eating and what simple changes you can make to stay under your calorie goal. Make changes one at a time and make that change a habit before making the next change. You don't have to change your entire lifestyle in one day. Baby steps are fine and are less overwhelming. Don't let yourself get to the point where you feel so deprived that you let things get out of control. If you are always hungry, change your calorie goal. You'll lose weight a little more slowly but you'll stay on track and that's the most important thing. Don't be impatient, weight loss is not fast and it's not linear; some weeks will have a bigger loss than others.

If you have food you're "cheating" with in the house then get rid of that stuff or change your mindset. Personally, I don't "cheat", I fit things in. If I need a day off from logging, I take a day off, it's not "cheating" because I'd only be cheating myself. Why make yourself feel guilty over something like that?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    You'll stick to it when it's finally important enough to you

:drinker:
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Some motivational quotes (just for laughs, but they help me keep on track :) ):

1) Life is like a box of chocolates - it doesnt last as long for fat people
    2) Too bat b*tching doesnt burn calories
    3) Broccoli may get stuck in your teeth, but french fries get stuck on your as* (but still delicious when they fit your macros!)
    4) I cant work out today, I strained my back sucking in my stomach
    5) I cant believe its been a year since I didnt become a better person
    6) No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everybody on the couch
    7) Just because you trip on the top step doesnt mean your throw yourself down the rest of the stairs
    8) Quitting a diet because of a bad day is like dropping your cell phone accidently and then stomping on it repeatedly since its already down there.
    9) I love you with all my butt. I would say heart, but my butt is bigger (not anymore!)
    10)Tired of being fat and ugly? Just be ugly... go to the gym.
    11) Exercise - the poor mans plastic surgery
    12) A good man can make you feel sexy, strong and able to take on the world... oh sorry, that's exercise. Exercise does that.

Smile :)
  • mollyholgate
    mollyholgate Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    Some motivational quotes (just for laughs, but they help me keep on track :) ):

1) Life is like a box of chocolates - it doesnt last as long for fat people
    2) Too bat b*tching doesnt burn calories
    3) Broccoli may get stuck in your teeth, but french fries get stuck on your as* (but still delicious when they fit your macros!)
    4) I cant work out today, I strained my back sucking in my stomach
    5) I cant believe its been a year since I didnt become a better person
    6) No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everybody on the couch
    7) Just because you trip on the top step doesnt mean your throw yourself down the rest of the stairs
    8) Quitting a diet because of a bad day is like dropping your cell phone accidently and then stomping on it repeatedly since its already down there.
    9) I love you with all my butt. I would say heart, but my butt is bigger (not anymore!)
    10)Tired of being fat and ugly? Just be ugly... go to the gym.
    11) Exercise - the poor mans plastic surgery
    12) A good man can make you feel sexy, strong and able to take on the world... oh sorry, that's exercise. Exercise does that.

Smile :)

***OMG I REALLY REALLY NEEDED THIS!!! I LOVE IT!****