Tips and Tricks to eat less

Options
So I hit a weight loss plateau, and realised it's because I was eating too much. I'm eating pretty healthy now compare to what I used to eat before, my diet include mostly veggie, fish, fruit and a small amount of carb. But my problem is I'm eating too much. Even though my snakes are nuts, fruits, and cheese, the number still add up pretty fast! So does anyone want to share how they stop themselves from snaking?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I try not to snack too much. Salsa is great, very few calories. The white part of the lettuce is also like no calories, has a nice crunch to it and goes well with salsa.

Rice cakes, if you like them.

Nature Valley Crunchy granola bars are yummy and VERY filling.

Berries are pretty low-cal. Strawberries and raspberries keep me pretty full! Strawberries are bulky and raspberries have fiber.

You should take your snakes to a Pet Psychiatrist. ;)
  • ht1211
    ht1211 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    LOL, that's funny.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ouroboros.jpg?itok=ugN7FS3y

:smiley:
    up your proteins and oils

Save calories for snackage - I like carrots and hummus, 0% Greek yogurt, Toast with cottage cheese, avocado and tomato - all 100 - 200 calories

• Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    If you're able to moderate yourself.
    1. Small, preweighed, pre kcal calculated portion sizes of the snacks you really want.
    2. More generous portions of very low kcal fillers. My go-to list are a box of cherry tomatoes, cucumber (good potassium count) and slices of kohlrabi (yellow turnip).
    3. Or find substitute snacks, like mentioned above.
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    drink water and chew gum instead
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    make sure you're getting enough calories throughout the day. I found that once I started eating enough, the want to grab and eat more went away.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    For me, logging my calories keeps me from snacking, because I hate doing it so much. If you really want something to keep you from snacking, start weighing your food. I don't think I would ever eat if I had to do that. Or make it easy on yourself, exercise enough that you always have a significant deficit and then the snacks aren't as big a deal.
  • 2boys111
    2boys111 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My big snack time is 3-6pm so I have a small shake or smoothie at 3 and then tell myself I'm in a "no eating" period until dinner time. It works for me. The shake take the edge off my hunger and then I just consider it not an option to eat until dinner. I'd find your big snack time and try something like that!
  • suzynam
    suzynam Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i can't snack on nuts because i don't find 5 almonds all that filling. :smile: i find a protein bar (pure protein or quest) and a cup of coffee does a great job killing afternoon hunger. protein really does seem to help cut down on hunger so if you can find ways to make high protein snacks, at least at times when you are really susceptible to overeating, that might help. for example, a piece of chicken and some veggies, even though that's not very snackish. another favorite of mine is roasted pumpkin. very low calories but very satisfying for some reason.
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    -i really love pickles so i get those big jars those del dixi dill pickles and eat one with a diet dr. pepper for a snack sometimes. the balance of the sweet and the sour is very tasty to me. AND it's only ~20 calories per pickle :)

-raw veggies and those single servings of hummus are nice too. that's about a 200-calorie snack right there.

-i did the HFLC diet a couple of times and found i always felt more satiated by eating mainly fats. i know you said you eat little carbs so maybe cut out the fruit from your snacking and focus on the nuts and cheese?

-or like tibby531 said, maybe put your calories more towards your main meals and try to give up snacking?
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    ht1211 wrote: »
    So I hit a weight loss plateau, and realised it's because I was eating too much. I'm eating pretty healthy now compare to what I used to eat before, my diet include mostly veggie, fish, fruit and a small amount of carb. But my problem is I'm eating too much. Even though my snakes are nuts, fruits, and cheese, the number still add up pretty fast! So does anyone want to share how they stop themselves from snaking?

Nuts and cheese are both high calorie snacks.

I snack everyday. I prelog in the mornings and eat what I've logged.
    I pack my lunch for work everyday so it's easy I have 8 hours to eat what I brought.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Cut the snacks out, and eat bigger filling meals.

IE - 500 calories for breakfast, 500 for lunch, 500 for dinner etc.

1500 right there :wink:

Fruits, veggies are great - You get a lot for not so many calories.

Make a massive salad for lunch, boil eggs, chicken slices, etc.

Big bowl of stir fry for dinner - All veggies with meat - Get more for your bang :wink: