White rice??

Options
I had a night off my eating plan and went to an amazing thai restaurant. I ended up logging this morning and realized that white rice is super caloric! I had scarfed down bowls of this stuff over the evening. It was eye opening logging it into my log today.

Are there any foods you've been surprised about once you've logged them in the light of day?

Replies

• PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    White rice is delicious.

/thread
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Jasmine rice....yummy

Lots of food is surprising to me. It pays to plan ahead. You will find that some highly caloric food is "worth it" and other foods not so much. Informed choices....logging helps with that.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everything hahah.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    White rice is more calorie dense than I'd suspected, too. I've definitely cut down on how much I put on my plate when I make a stir fry, that's for sure.

I think the one thing that really surprised me the most is how calorie dense a peanut butter sandwich is. The first one I made after starting MFP was about 500 calories! That was 2.5 T of peanut butter, 1 T jelly and two slices of bread. Eye opening to say the least.
  • Running_In_Circles
    Options
    I totally agree. No regrets. It was just interesting to find the bulk of my caloric intake came from the rice and not the tofu curry!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I ended up logging this morning and realized that white rice is super caloric!

Are you using the uncooked weight rather than cooked weight?

It's been a long while since I have logged anything but I can't recall white rice being massively calorific...

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Several bowls would add up pretty quickly. When I had type 2 diabetes, rice was really bad at shooting up my sugar numbers; it must be screamingly easy to digest. I've switched to whole grain rice which will digest more steadily. My daughter gave me a big bag of whole grain basmati rice which is very nice.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Being Asian, white rice is a staple for just about every meal. Personally I just cut it down to about a cup a day and sometimes just none at all. But not on sushi day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AmandaPantz87
    AmandaPantz87 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love basmati rice.....sigh... :)
  • AniLandSmiles
    AniLandSmiles Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I was doing some meal planning just a few days ago, and I was shocked at how caloric plain white rice was. Funny you brought this up!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

It's been a long while since I have logged anything but I can't recall white rice being massively calorific...
    According to the un-asterisked entry in MFP, 1 cup of cooked, long grain white rice is about 205 calories. Brown is 216.

When eaten with a low calorie main dish like a chicken and veggie stir fry, the rice is by far the major calorie source.
  • Running_In_Circles
    Options
    And I ate like 4 bowls since I had such a soupy curry! The curry, which was huge was so much less of a calorie hit!
  • VegetalienPleurnichard
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with white rice, it's high in calories but is quickly digested by your body. It leaves you full for a log time so I think it's worth the calories for 1 cup to keep you full for 4 hours rather than 1/4 a cup of nuts to only keep you full for 2....
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    msf74 wrote: »

According to the un-asterisked entry in MFP, 1 cup of cooked, long grain white rice is about 205 calories. Brown is 216.

When eaten with a low calorie main dish like a chicken and veggie stir fry, the rice is by far the major calorie source.

Cheers.

I guess it is my skewed perception being a man and probably having more calories to play around with...