cutting out soda

Options
I drink a lot of soda. Usually at least one 20 oz bottle of Mountain Dew at work plus soda when I get home. I did it before and it lasted a few months. I went right back to drinking soda though when I got off track.

I decided for the month of May that I was going to cut out the soda again and stick to drinking a lot of water and maybe a fruit juice once in a while.

Today being the first day I had my last soda last night and it's been about 20 hour since. I can tell that I have not had the caffeine today. I am getting a headache and just feel off.

How long will it take for my body to adjust? I don't recall from the first time I stopped drinking soda how long it took to feel normal again.

Replies

• RadicalCharlie
    RadicalCharlie Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a caffeine withdraw when I stopped drinking soda.

I think it's because I found something so delicious and low cal that I just kind of forgot about soda.
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My brother suffered for a couple of months when he stopped drinking coke. He ended up at the doctors thinking there was something seriously wrong because of how awful he felt but it was just caffeine withdrawal. On the other hand I didn't notice anything when I stopped drinking it.
  • irishkiss
    irishkiss Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I drink coke zero...still has the caffine but no calories. I used to drink up to 4 barqs a day. Now I drink one zero and water with mio. I didnt like the headaches. And I still love soda for dinner.:smile:
  • gardea
    gardea Posts: 75
    Options
    I gave up pop in early March. The headaches lasted a few weeks. I haven't had any in a while though. I gave it up for lent to begin with. I did have a diet coke on Easter sunday, but nothing since then and no headaches this time.
  • shawnae2
    shawnae2 Posts: 105
    Options
    I cut out soda. I do drink a Pepsi max every now and then but for the most part gave it up cold turkey. I got the headaches a little but I took excedrin migrane which has some caffine when they got too out of control and that seemed to control it. I have also heard taking midol will help with the caffine head aches. Best of luck to you! I know I feel so much better now that I don't drink it all the time. Water just tastes so much better now!!
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    I cut out soda about 6 weeks ago. I had headaches for about a week. Excedrin migraine helped me through it. Yesterday I drank some Diet Coke (because there wasn't another sugar free choice at the time).....and it tasted EXTREMELY sweet to me. I couldn't even drink it! It's very interesting how my taste buds have definitely changed!
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Do you have Diet Rite where you are? It's got nothing in it - literally. Maybe it will help you ease off the sodas. Won't help with aany physical addiction you have to caffeine. You could try one glass of unsweetened tea a day and taper off. I loce my soda, so I totally felt like I was being deprived when I started cutting back. Good luck.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    When I stopped drinking soda it took me about three days for the headaches and sluggishness to go away. It may be different for different people though. Also, I don't drink coffee or tea, so soda was my only source of caffene. I went from drinking about 32 ounces of full sugar soda a day to having only two diet sodas in the last two months.
  • kelleyandrews87
    Options
    I stopped one time and had a migraine every day for a week. my current goal is to just drink one for the day and substitute the rest with coke zero or water. i have been told by several people that their caffeine withdrawal headaches are usually over by the end of a week.