4 days of no exercise?

Options
So, I've been working out almost every day (i take one day off) since last year. I'm pretty slim already but i'd like to (pardon the cliche and generic phrase coming) "tone up"..

However, on Thursday I have to go out of town for 4 days and won't have time to exercise at all (besides walking, obviously) - I plan on sticking to my diet and not eating anything fattening or just bad for you in general...but do you think it's okay that my body is going to go from high intensity movements almost every day to absolutely nothing for 4 days? Will it slow down my progress or will I gain weight? Or am I being totally insane...?

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    It's totally fine. Just go back to your regular routine when you return. Try to do walking and stay generally active if you're concerned.

If you really want to get a workout in, can you do a DVD or use youtube videos wherever you're going? Hotel gym possibly?

You won't gain weight unless you eat over your maintenance. And you won't slow progress either. In fact, a lot of people take full rest weeks several times a year on purpose, myself included.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I just had nine days of total inactivity recovering from a cold. I needed to rest, so I did. I was very worried what it would do to my plan but I ended up losing four pounds! Go figure! Part of it might have been my lower appetite while I was sick. When I am active I eat about 200 more calories a day.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    You're being totally insane!! Just kidding, it's a valid concern but seriously you'll be fine. :) There will be times when you're really sick or have an injury and can't do anything for weeks (like me and my stupid knee problem right now) but as long as you keep your diet in check you will be totally fine. Depending on your level of fitness and how long you've been working out regularly, it could take a day or two to get back to where you were with HIIT workouts but honestly it's probably good to give your body a rest and just walk around. You could always do "quiet" workouts in your room too in the morning or before bed (push ups, squats, lunges, crunches/situps, etc.). Have a good trip!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    No time at all?

You're not going to lose any discernible amount of fitness in 4 days but if you're really concerned about it check out some of the videos on youtube for short, intense body weight sessions. No equipment needed and you can get a meaningful workout in 15 or 20 minutes.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine, "reversibility" actually takes a couple weeks to kick-in. If anything do some stretching while you're on vacation, that's something that doesn't take much time and will help you while you're away.
  • AniLandSmiles
    AniLandSmiles Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'll echo what everybody else says. Four days is fine- it's just a few days, not a lifestyle change. :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I just had nine days of total inactivity recovering from a cold. I needed to rest, so I did. I was very worried what it would do to my plan but I ended up losing four pounds! Go figure! Part of it might have been my lower appetite while I was sick. When I am active I eat about 200 more calories a day.

You lost cos your glycogen stores let go of the water they were hanging on to as it looked like you didn't need it :) happens to everyone when they stop exercising for a short while. When you got back to routine again you probably found you 'gained' those few lbs again? Of course you could also have eaten much less when you were ill and lost, and well done if it stayed off :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You can go about 2 weeks without back tracking significantly- you'll be sore but you won't lose a lot in 2 weeks in terms of strength.

You'll be fine. Don't sweat it.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I find when I am on holidays and 'just' walking that I expect to lose some fitness, but after 2 weeks being away when I resumed my usual jogging/strength training I hardly noticed any difference..it must take a lot longer than 2 weeks to 'lose' fitness...thank goodness lol
  • karensuegill
    karensuegill Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    If you're going away on business or vacation, most hotels have gyms. I did that this summer when we went to Branson for 5 days. I got up every morning a little early and worked out at the hotel gym and it really helped me stay motivated to eat healthy. But a few days off is never going to hurt you as long as you don't overeat. My problem is that I seem to get hungrier when I don't exercise. Maybe it's all in my head, but I swear that exercise curbs my appetite.
  • slomo22
    slomo22 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    you're being totally insane
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    It's not gonna affect you at all, but its gonna feel that way.
  • ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    could you not jog instead of walk?... either way, 4 days wont cost you very much at all, so dont worry about it
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    You will be fine. I took off a week last week because I had strep. Came back to it on Monday and PRd my squat clean.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You're being totally insane...

You don't lose your fitness or whatever in 4 days...that's not how it works.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Another topic from this OP with no follow up in the thread by them ... all of them showing a continued ignorance of basic exercise concepts.
  • watto1980
    watto1980 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    It's all good, after all 'rest' is part of a balanced lifestyle. You might get better performance results with more rest.

I just had a week off and feel awesome, no loss in performance. The only negative was the intense hamstring / glute DOMS I experienced the day after my first weight training session.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I did that once and when I came back to the gym after my 4 day break I PR'd in everything. The break will do you good.
  • Taajsgpm
    Options
    I find its ok to take a break every now and then, moderation right? We try to be health to live better lives , if taking a break resets the soul , then hey go for it