Homedics 415 digital scale with etched glass

Options
Ok, so I bought this scale today, it is a Homedics 415 digital scale with etched glass. It doesnt do anything fancy just shows you your weight. I have been weighing myself at my job in the nurses office before lunch and subtracting about 2 pounds for the weight of my clothes depending on what im wearing. Last time I weighed myself at my job I weighed 137.5 with clothes on and took off 2 pounds getting me to 135.5. So I weighed myself with my clothes on with the new scale and weighed 141.2 then I weighed myself naked and weighed 147 at first! Then I moved it around the floor (which is a hard wood unfloated floor) and eventually weighed 137.2. Curious, I weighed myself in a different spot with the same clothes back on and weighed 138 with my clothes on. This is very frustrating and I am debating whether or not to take it back. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    All scales will have a difference and if they are not on a balanced floor will also read differently.
    I weigh different on the carpet than on the hardwood with the same scale.

My weight at the gym on a balance scale is different from the balance scale at the doctors office and then at home.
    As long as you are weighing consistently on the same scale it will show the changes consistently.
  • lhurtubise
    lhurtubise Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    In my experience the old school scales are more consistent. I want to throw my digital scale out just about everyday because I weigh way too much, but when I get on my old school scale its always the same!
  • Aps123
    Aps123 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    my scale does that even if i have it in the same spot. usually only a pound or two difference. i just step off and on about 4 times. and whichever it puts me at the most i use. annoying. ive debated going back to the old scales instead of digital bc of that.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Get hold of an absolute known weight and try it on the scales - for example 1 litre of water weighs exactly 1 kilo, so you could get a bucket and check it empty then put say 5 litres in it and check the readout..?
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I bought a Weight Watchers one from Walmart and its pretty consistent with the one I use at the gym.
  • glitterbell23
    glitterbell23 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yeah its weird cuz it was in the same spot and I weighed different weights. Its weird. I dont know. I just bought it today, I might take it back and get an old school scale. Thats what I wanted in the first place but they didnt have any.
  • RoySaffold
    RoySaffold Posts: 7
    Options
    I have a Taylor model that got very good ratings from Consumer Reports. It just gives you your weight (like your Homedics) in 0.2 lb increments. My personal belief is that weighing first thing in the morning on a scale that is in exactly the same spot each morning is the best approach. Oh, and only look at the difference from when you started. Most (not all) scales will do a decent job at getting the small differences. Absolute accuracy requires a well constructed balance beam scale and a level floor, and the price is ~$150 and up.
  • glitterbell23
    glitterbell23 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yeah mine is 0.2 difference as well. Thank you I will try.