Eye opener.

Options
Hi I am Valrie. New here. been at it two days and it is already an eye opener. My doc sent me here to help me. I did good so far with calories and such. But then today, I had a breakfast burrito.. eggs, sausage, cheese, a little mayo and my coffee.. 666 calories!! what the heck.
Unbelievable. How do you fill up and not use half your daily calorie goal in one meal?
should I drink fiber with every meal? For someone who thinks I know it all.. I don't. Any advice will be appreciated. thanks.. Val

Replies

• chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Welcome, I find that there are some foods I refuse to cut out so instead I will just eat a smaller portion.

For your bekkie, less eggs, half a sausage or just 1 if you had 2 etc etc. Maybe make that 666 cal meal and cut it in half, and save it for tomorrow.

I find when I get back on the MFP band wagon I will try and do a couple of days of pre diet eating but log it just to see where all the cals comes from.
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Hi Val and welcome, oats is good and keeps me going, i often have a pear too :)
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    It's an ongoing learning process, seeing what you like that also fills you up for less calories. I like egg whites and turkey sausage for breakfast, and can have quite a bit for fewer calories than real bacon and real eggs (although sometimes I do that too!)

To make my egg whites go further, I add in cottage cheese to make them fluffy, because cottage cheese is low-cal too.
  • Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Hi Granny :D . If you don't want to give up your burrito, don't!! Try using a low carb, high fiber wrap (Ole' makes them and they are only 90 calories) and 86 the mayo. You'll likely rid the burrito of 200+ calories just by making those small changes.

I'd like to share with you the 'meal plan' that helped me lose 78 lbs. Maybe it will help give you some ideas:

BREAKFAST:

*Pair a carb w/ a protein (any combination)

CARBS:

¼ c. oatmeal

¼ c. cream of wheat

1 piece of toast

1 mini whole-wheat bagel

1/2 banana or small piece of fruit

2 c. grapes

1 slice ezekeal bread (Trust me, you want to toast this!)

1 whole wheat waffle or pancake

PROTEINS:

1 egg + 2 egg whites

6 tbsp. egg beaters

2 slices turkey bacon

4 oz. turkey sausage

1 boiled egg w/ 1 boiled white

Any type of omelet w/ veggies (made from egg whites & lean deli ham or turkey)

2 slices of Canadian bacon

-OR-

1 serving Kashi cereal (protein) with 1 cup of skim or almond milk (I really love the vanilla almond milk).

-OR-

1 whole wheat English muffin sandwich (egg white, 2% cheese, & one of the lean meats listed above)
    SNACKS:

* Try not to eat over 20g carbs in snacks & try to pair with protein

Any kind of raw veggies w/ Ranch Greek yogurt dip (tastes just like traditional ranch)

Light string cheese + 10 nuts (almonds, cashews, ect)

Sugar free jello or pudding w. lite cool whip

No sugar added hot chocolate (with skim milk or almond milk)

Yogurt/fruit/ granola parfait

Any type of fruit or veggies

150 cal (or less) protein shake

Baked tortilla chips w/ salsa

10 crackers + hummus (I really like the sundried tomato or roasted red pepper kind best)

LUNCH:

* Pair any carb, meat, and veggie of your choice

*Whole wheat wrap (chicken, turkey, lean beef, fish, or tuna w/ any veggies, 2% cheese, ¼ avocado, light dressing or light mayo)

½ sweet potato or ½ c. brown rice or ½ c. wheat noodles

4 oz. any type of lean meat

Broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, carrots, spinach, salad, frozen veggies, edamame beans, yam patties, green beans, peas, turnips, zucchini, squash

Half sandwich on light wheat bread with a can of light soup

Lean cuisines etc (Try not to go over 35g carbs)

DINNER:

* No Carbs!!!!
    4 oz. lean meat + green veggies or salad

Good luck!! You can do this!
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Just skip sausages. They are not healthy. High in calories and probably the source of most of the calories you ate at breakfast time.

As you go along, you will have to eat more vegetables and choose vegetables more often.

Don't be tempted to go low fat. Just moderate your fat and try to choose healthy fats most of the time.

Eat less takeaway food. Most of it is high calorie low satisfaction.

But to answer your question how to satisfy yourself without overdosing on calories.

Choose vegetables, high protein and lower carb foods. Also fruit and dairy.
    Eggs are good but avoid or reduce bacon and sausages. If you must have meat at breakfast, have lean meat.

Bulk up all your meals with fruit and vegetables. They are very low in calories.
  • DianneLB1953
    DianneLB1953 Posts: 13
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Part of this journey is changing our habits that caused us to get where we are. For some people that means making small changes. There are lots of great ideas above. I was a real carb breakfast lover. I looked for new recipes and found a couple of pancake recipes that have no flour. I use one egg, some egg white, a bit of cinnamon and a mashed ripe banana. Mix well. Add to a hot pan sprayed with Pam and you have pancakes. The texture is different and you have to like bananas. The other recipe is an egg, egg white and 1/4 cup pumpkin purée (not pie filling). Add spices as desired - I use pumpkin pie spice. I have also added half a banana mashed into this. Tasty but different.

Make some changes slowly but stay on the journey and log all your food - it is the only way we know exactly where we need to make changes. I am still working my way through this journey. I only recently joined MFP but had been following WW. I find calorie counting easier than points and this site is free!

I am encouraged by the help available here and how people want to help and share with others. Please keep logging and evaluating how you can make those small changes that will make a difference
  • grannyoftomany
    Options
    Hi Granny :D . If you don't want to give up your burrito, don't!! Try using a low carb, high fiber wrap (Ole' makes them and they are only 90 calories) and 86 the mayo. You'll likely rid the burrito of 200+ calories just by making those small changes.

I'd like to share with you the 'meal plan' that helped me lose 78 lbs. Maybe it will help give you some ideas:

BREAKFAST:

*Pair a carb w/ a protein (any combination)

CARBS:

¼ c. oatmeal

¼ c. cream of wheat

1 piece of toast

1 mini whole-wheat bagel

1/2 banana or small piece of fruit

2 c. grapes

1 slice ezekeal bread (Trust me, you want to toast this!)

1 whole wheat waffle or pancake

PROTEINS:

1 egg + 2 egg whites

6 tbsp. egg beaters

2 slices turkey bacon

4 oz. turkey sausage

1 boiled egg w/ 1 boiled white

Any type of omelet w/ veggies (made from egg whites & lean deli ham or turkey)

2 slices of Canadian bacon

-OR-

1 serving Kashi cereal (protein) with 1 cup of skim or almond milk (I really love the vanilla almond milk).

-OR-

1 whole wheat English muffin sandwich (egg white, 2% cheese, & one of the lean meats listed above)
    SNACKS:

* Try not to eat over 20g carbs in snacks & try to pair with protein

Any kind of raw veggies w/ Ranch Greek yogurt dip (tastes just like traditional ranch)

Light string cheese + 10 nuts (almonds, cashews, ect)

Sugar free jello or pudding w. lite cool whip

No sugar added hot chocolate (with skim milk or almond milk)

Yogurt/fruit/ granola parfait

Any type of fruit or veggies

150 cal (or less) protein shake

Baked tortilla chips w/ salsa

10 crackers + hummus (I really like the sundried tomato or roasted red pepper kind best)

LUNCH:

* Pair any carb, meat, and veggie of your choice

*Whole wheat wrap (chicken, turkey, lean beef, fish, or tuna w/ any veggies, 2% cheese, ¼ avocado, light dressing or light mayo)

½ sweet potato or ½ c. brown rice or ½ c. wheat noodles

4 oz. any type of lean meat

Broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, carrots, spinach, salad, frozen veggies, edamame beans, yam patties, green beans, peas, turnips, zucchini, squash

Half sandwich on light wheat bread with a can of light soup

Lean cuisines etc (Try not to go over 35g carbs)

DINNER:

* No Carbs!!!!
    4 oz. lean meat + green veggies or salad

Good luck!! You can do this!
    vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

thank you... I am on a carb watch. I am type 2 Diabetic this is good info. some I know I can use.
    Val
  • grannyoftomany
    Options
    thank you all for your kindness and suggestions.
    DianneLB thank you I made banana cakes for my granddaughter once. I will try them. and I love pumpkin. will try that too. and I will take your advice on going slower. I am one if I get overwhelmed I am done. I will be watchful for that.

when I get groceries again I will be buying more turkey meats. I already bought the turkey hotdogs. not bad.
  • erichegwer
    erichegwer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I hear you loud and clear. Breakfast Tacos are my weakness, too. So I had to change my eating habbits. Every morning I make a protein shake - 4 simple ingredients:
    1. Whey Protein powder (1 scoop)
    2. 1 Banana
    3. 1 serving lowfat greek yogurt (flavored or not, your choice
    4. one serving of fresh fruit - (strawberries, or blueberries, or even spinach
    That gets me through the morning. It's high in protein, has some fat, and not to heavy on the carbs.
    Which brings me to Macros. I have learned that at different times of the day I need different things. Protein and fat in the am, and more carbs in the PM. But everybody is different. Just log everything you eat, and then try to make choices to bring down the sodium, or up the protein, or whatever. You can totally do this!
  • grannyoftomany
    Options
    thanks.. speaking of sodium... WOW I dont add salt to my food. I'm a pepper and granulated garlic girl. my sodium levels on here are high. I now have to watch the ingredients for sodium.. I had been looking at calories and carbs..
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    My breakfast burrito consists of 1 egg scrambled, 1 small flour tortilla, a sprinkle of grated cheese- about 225 calories. You can throw in a slice of bacon for about another 50 calories, but I gave up sausage when I started trying to lose weight.