Getting a bit obsessed with exercise. Where do I find the right balance?

Options

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    My exercise pattern is random
    Find a structured program. Random exercising doesn't do much more than waste energy.

What are your fitness goals? Run a 5K? Lift something heavy? Climb a mountain?

• beavislong
    beavislong Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I spend hours a week exercising but then again I'm aspiring to be an endurance athlete. I also think about it all the time. It's what I do. It's my health, my social time(usually run/ride with friends, my sanity and most of all my enjoyment. I'm currently eating at a deficit to drop some unwanted weight. I don't see a problem with an exercise obsession AS LONG AS it's for the right reasons and you are getting proper nutrition.
  • BrittTomore87
    BrittTomore87 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I used to do the same thing. Now I plan out my week and what type of exercises I do for each day. I usually give myself 1-2 days during the week to rest and I try not to count my calories on those days too because I tend to under eat or try to burn off all the calories I eat that day. Weekends are my favorite days because I'll spend an hour and half to two hours doing cardio. I always think about exercising but planning out what I do throughout the week makes it less stressful and I worry a little less. With my plan I've been able to lose at least 1 lb a week sometimes a little more and other weeks none at all. Weight is a tricky thing, be kind to yourself and take care of yourself!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Your body
    mitch16 wrote: »
    I don't think it's that big of a problem, but it's pretty much all that I think about and I was on the treadmill for four hours

Four hours on the treadmill might be the first signs of a problem. An obsession with exercising is every bit as dangerous as anorexia or other eating disorders. Please talk to someone who can help you--your parents, a counselor, a therapist...

This!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    My exercise pattern is random
    Find a structured program. Random exercising doesn't do much more than waste energy.

What are your fitness goals? Run a 5K? Lift something heavy? Climb a mountain?

In a post to the weight loss forum, don't you think the whole point is to waste energy?
  • Super_sarah96
    Super_sarah96 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    I don't think it's that big of a problem, but it's pretty much all that I think about and I was on the treadmill for four hours

Why were you on going that long?

• Super_sarah96
    Options
    Just kept going and didn't stop
  • Super_sarah96
    Options
    From what I've read the high end of balance is limiting yourself to one hour of any exercise and take one day off for rest the low end of balance would be 30 minutes 3-4 times a week.

• Super_sarah96
    Options
    Can't you go longer than just an hour?
  • Super_sarah96
    Options

Four hours on the treadmill might be the first signs of a problem. An obsession with exercising is every bit as dangerous as anorexia or other eating disorders. Please talk to someone who can help you--your parents, a counselor, a therapist...

• Super_sarah96
    Options
    I'd rather not tell anyone, that's why I posted it here. But no I don't have any kind of disorder
  • Super_sarah96
    Options
    Based on my own person past experience, you are doing too much when it becomes something you won't continue after you lose weight. I like to cosume a lot of calories, so I've always looked to exercise for weight loss. The problem is I do what you seem to be doing. I go all out, exercising as much as I can. And it works like a charm. I've never failed to lose the weight I wanted in this manner. But that type of exercise is unsustainable for me and I gradually do less and less and slowly gain it all back.

So, here I am again, losing again. But this time I am working to find an exercise routine that I can stick to even after the weight is lost. I'm sure it will take a little longer to lose than before, but hopefully it will stay off longer.

• Super_sarah96
    Options
    Thank you. I'll try to balance it out more
  • Super_sarah96
    Options
    JTick wrote: »
    From what I've read the high end of balance is limiting yourself to one hour of any exercise and take one day off for rest the low end of balance would be 30 minutes 3-4 times a week.

Disagree. "Balance" is different for everyone. My long runs take 2-2.5 hours. I'm hardly obsessed with it though.

OP is 18 and her diary reflects a pattern of undereating.

• Super_sarah96
    Options
    Just curious what does my age have to do with anything? As far as the under eating, I'm working on that
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    :huh: :noway:
  • Super_sarah96
    Options

4 hours?? did no one at the gym question you? :o

edit-just realised you could have a treadmill at home...duh

• Super_sarah96
    Options
    Yes I have a treadmill at home. But when I go to the gym no one questions me.
  • Super_sarah96
    Options
    I usually shoot for an hour or two of cycling every day. When I have time, I'll put in three or four. It seems beneficial to me.

• Super_sarah96
    Options
    It he only exercise equipment I have is a treadmill but thanks for the input