Want to live my life again

Options
Hi All,
My name is Chris and I am new to the MFP community. I have struggled with my weight for most of my life and have finally decided to really take charge of it. As I get older, I find myself having more difficulties with my joints and with other health issues, some of which are at the very least exacerbated by my weight. I also have a lot of obesity in my family, with both of my parents and my older sister being morbidly obese. For me, this journey is really not that much about what size I am or how much I weigh, but more about the things that I am able to do. I used to love to hike and did not used to have any issues with it even at my current weight. However, as I get older, I find that my stamina is decreasing and my cardio health sucks. I am a belly dancer who currently has severe arthritis in my knee as well as a torn meniscus, both of which are made worse by the fact that I am carrying around extra weight. So, in order to save my joints and to allow myself to do those things again that I used to enjoy so much, I am changing the way that I eat and care for my body.
This is not a diet, as I don't believe that diets are the answer. This is a major life change, with the goal of making my life better in the long run, because I am worth it! I deserve to be healthy and it is up to me to make health my new reality.
I am glad to have friends who will offer me support and encouragement along the way and to make new friends along the journey.
So, here we go!

Replies

• digitalcanuck
    digitalcanuck Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hey Chris. You are totally speaking my language. Too many people focus on the scale and have specific numbers in mind. ARG. It is so frustrating because it is all about learning about your own body and discovering a new lifestyle that allows you to do and enjoy what you want to. You need to feed your body what it needs to be vital and strong. Loosing weight is always a fantastic by-product of that. "Quick-fixers" don't understand that. Congrats on understanding that you are not dieting.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I like to post videos and info to my timeline about new information I find. Those who are just focused on numbers ignore them. Those focused on learning and evolving their lifestyles love it.

Great to meet you Chris.

Lisa
  • ankdworak
    ankdworak Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Happy to help in any way I can. Feel free to add me. ankdworak