Cheat Days

Options
Hey guys! I was wondering about cheat days and how everyone feels about them when losing weight? Do you find them helpful? If so, how often do you have them?

Thank you!

Replies

• thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    I don't really cheat, but I plan for a treat. Like, for thanksgiving, I'll log a piece of pie, some stuffing and a glass of wine and then plane rest of my calories around that. I hit my calorie goal, had a treat, and won't feel cheated! Feel free to add me for support.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    When tracking, I balance weekly so that gives me a bit more flexibility, but I don't think of it as cheating. Mostly I just try to ensure that my protein and micros(vitamins/minerals) are taken care of then I'm free to eat as I please, but I'm pretty good at incorporating what I want into my micro/protein goals as well. gl.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I don't. I fit what I want to eat into my calories.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I'm of the "plan for it and fit it in my calories" school. Though, there are a couple of major holidays where it is unlikely I will choose to do that. That's two days out of 365, though, so ...
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You have 8lbs to go. Why would you want a cheat day to eat extra calories that would make you move further away from target? 8lbs you can lose in 2 months i.e the end is within sight.

I tend not to have them because id rather get to target, but if I want extra calories then I have them. I also exercise a reasonable amount so that gives me a stock of eat back calories if needed. If I want extra calories i.e a break then I try and attach it to a target and use it as a reward.
  • mustloseweight2015
    Options
    I used to have a cheat day on weekend. However, that really interfered with my weight loss. In one of the posts here I read that if you are allowed 1500 calories a day and then you binge on a cheat day and consume 3000 calories, you are effectively eating approximately 1700 calories a day....or those additional calories you consumed, you might as well has eaten 1700 calories a day. This is why, I am trying not to have cheat days. It's hard...but I am starting with accurately logging everything even if I end up cheating one day. This helps me not to binge too much, so even if I end up eating more than I should on a cheat day, it won't be something too high like 3000 calories. The ideal scenario will be to not cheat at all and work all treats into the daily calories every day....but I'm working toward that goal.
  • courtraines
    courtraines Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I guess my question is less of a cheat day where you eat whatever you want, but a cheat meal. Any advice there guys?
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    The term "cheat days" reminds me of the term "clean eating" because it means different things to different people. I don't feel the need to cheat in order to eat. I plan for the foods of my choice and if I go over my calories, big deal!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I guess my question is less of a cheat day where you eat whatever you want, but a cheat meal. Any advice there guys?

Plan ahead of time and budget calories for the food you want to eat.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I used to have a cheat day every weekend!!! If it keeps you sane - Do it!!! If your going to go over board and crazy, and it puts you back - I say don't do it haha!!

I would try and add the things you love & want to eat 'into your daily allowance of calories'

Maybe try a 'cheat meal' instead of a whole day :wink:
  • SpockAdventures
    SpockAdventures Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I exercise twice a day six days a week, and follow a very strict 1100-1200 calories a day. On day 7, I eat whatever I want and at most go for a nice leisurely walk. Week 1 I had pizza and a bacon burger. Week 2 was waffles and dessert. Week 3 I went all French and had bread, cheese and fruit, this last week was spanokopita, mini quiches and strudel for brunch and a cheesesteak sub for dinner. I have been losing weight with this built in, and it is not only a great way to satisfy my cravings, but I know that if I cheat during the week, I don't get to have that whole day of cheat. For me, it works pretty well.
  • jesslo800
    Options
    I was also trying to lose a little weight like you and didn't want to slow my progress with cheat days but after awhile i felt like i really needed them.
    So i had my own kind of 'Cheating days',i did not go over my calories but i didn't stick to macros or healthy eating on that day. That gave me the opportunity to swap some of my calories in for cookies,a drink or whatever else i was craving that day. But it only works if you have enough calories for real foods that will keep you full,if you are on a very low cal diet you are probably going to get hungry eating like that.
  • kangaroux92
    kangaroux92 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i try not to think of it as cheating, and i try not to go over my calories more than 400.

but usually i will have 1 meal per week where i indulge alittle. but i try to keep that meal under 1000 calories.

dont go cheat the whole day and eat 3000 calories. and don't deprive yourself to much during the week. that will cause you to binge.

i still have a cookie or piece of chocolate if i want. i just eat way less of what i want, and cut out things that are unnecessary.

if i want a burger i will eat it with whole wheat or no bun, and i will put less cheese/ more veggies like unions, and no condiments. this way i still get what i am craving.

moderation is key and you will find you dont need a cheat day or meal.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I wanted to lose 5 lb (maintenance), so I was going for a small daily deficit. I tried 1 "unlogged" or "cheat" day per week for 3 weeks and totally erased my deficit. Gained weight the first 3 weeks. And that was mostly overeating "healthy" stuff like nuts, cheese, fruit. It works for some people, but it all depends on how your whole week comes together. If you have 100 lb to lose and have 1000 cal daily deficit, eating at maintenance one day a week can be great. If you are lean and have a small daily deficit, incorporating treats in the weekly plan is probably more manageable. It is for me, anyway.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't think calling food a "cheat" is a good idea. That implies it's something bad or naughty, and there's all sorts of emotions attached to that. It's just a meal. It's a meal that has more calories than your average meal. Maybe it has more fat, more sugar, more whatever than you usually eat. But it's still just a meal. Eating it won't derail or negate any progress you've made. It will only delay reaching your goal, and depending on the size of the meal, probably only by a day or two.

Just keep in mind that when you go over your calorie allotment, that does cause a delay in achieving your goal. So obviously, you wouldn't want to do it every day. But if you think of it more in terms of "time til goal is reached" than "good" and "bad" then it's a much healthier and more rational approach.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    If I was craving something I ate it. I just worked out extra if it pushed me over my calories goal. I never gave up any foods I loved just extra helpings.

29509743.png
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    i find if i just have one cheat day or meal per week, it doesn't hinder my weight loss efforts (sometimes it actually helps me lose).

however if i have a cheat weekend and beyond, i'm screwed.

just test your body and see how it reacts when you cheat for a whole weekend, then day, then meal, etc. every body is different.
  • cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I don't have a cheat day. I have what I want to eat (within reason!), if I have the calories available. If I don't, I don't eat it. I try to maintain a healthy diet for the most part, but I sneak in cookies and pizza here and there. I don't want to deprive myself too much of what I like, or I will end up quitting because I will get frustrated. 26 pounds down so far since August using this method.
  • madamepsych0sis
    madamepsych0sis Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm not really into cheat days. Maybe sometimes I'll have a bad meal, but usually turning it into a full day is a recipe for disaster!
  • BrittTomore87
    BrittTomore87 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I workout pretty intensely and a majority of the time I burn off all the calories I eat for a day so to make sure I don't start to like harm my body by never really eating I don't count my calories 1-2 days a week. I've still been able to lose 1 lb a week so I don't find cheat meals a big deal. But for Holidays and stuff I would never even think of logging my calories because then I'd feel guilty instead of thankful to be around family. Counting calories and cheat days are different for everyone. I think you should just do whatever you'd be comfortable with