Binge eating. Shall I try this method to overcome it?

Options
Hello, mfp! I've been struggling with binge eating for quite a while and because of it, I gained 45 pounds in less than a year. Almost nothing fits me anymore, I go to school wearing sweatpants and large t shirts and I always feel so ashamed about myself. However, I can't seem to stop the binges and sweets are my weaknesses.
I thought about something and I would like to read your opinions on this. My schedule is like this: I have breakfast in the morning, I go to school (sometimes I'll have some fruit while there), I come back and my parents are at work so I'm home alone and I binge like crazy. They come back at around 6 and I have dinner with them as well, but I eat healthy food in normal quantities because I never ever binge in front of them, or anyone else. So I thought that If I tell myself that I can only eat when people are watching me (so I won't binge), I'll avoid stuffing my face with all this crappy food, but that would mean not having lunch at all.. I know you may say "have a light and healthy lunch" but I can't do it, when nobody's watching me I lose control, I can't even recognize myself.
So, any thoughts...?
Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Get a job to occupy your time, win win.

Rigger
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Go play a sport in that time between you being home and your parents being home. Don't do what I did when I was a teenager.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Sounds a little on the disordered side, but then again, I don't enjoy the company of others so I guess I'd just have to live with being fat.
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    maybe the problem isn't your binge eating but something mental/emotional that is making you binge eat. have you thought about therapy? they can really be helpful in figuring out what issues you have and working on your confidence and image. then i think once that falls into place, you will have better control of your binges.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I think you should talk to your doctor or trusted adult about your binging issues. Hiding your eating is not a normal relationship with food, and telling yourself not to do it may not be enough, especially when you say you feel out of control when it happens. Please get some help and support to help you deal with this issue.
  • audie1122
    audie1122 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    At some point you just have to cultivate self control. I used to eat secretly as well, but after I started working out regularly and seeing results, it was quite obvious what a binge would do to my body. So I stopped. I also have a cheat meal once a week (or a cheat day at holidays) where I not only get to eat something super satisfying to my cravings, but I make myself have a longer, harder workout on those days to balance it. I find that pre-portioning helps a lot too. If I hit the end of the baggy/container, that's the end of the eating! You can overcome this. Mind over matter!
  • elenanxs
    elenanxs Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies, it means a lot! I understand that this is a quite serious disorder but it's not very common here, in my country, to say that you're dealing with such things, so that's why I try to keep it for myself and find a solution on my own.. You can't understand how disappointed I am with myself, I remember those times when I was 120 lbs and happy and my goals were to get fitter and now I simply don't recognize myself, it's terrible.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Get the junk food out of the house.
    Start working out or get a job
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I think you should talk to your doctor or trusted adult about your binging issues. Hiding your eating is not a normal relationship with food, and telling yourself not to do it may not be enough, especially when you say you feel out of control when it happens. Please get some help and support to help you deal with this issue.

This. It's not something you should be trying to deal with all on your own.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    If you can find a way to do so, talk with your parents about it. If you can get their support that can help a lot.
  • nuvimi
    nuvimi Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I mean this in the nicest way possible: you should really consider talking to a professional about this and letting them help you. A behavioral psychologist would probably be a good place to start.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do that. As a binge eater myself, I've tried so many methods to stop. I've even tried what you've mentioned above, but to me, it just led to over thinking, self deprivation (that led to later binges) and self sabotage. My binges are becoming few and far-between, and really, I think it's because I've been able to occupy my time. Sometimes it's hard to rip yourself away from the cabinets, but when I have that trouble, I just remember how bad I feel after a binge (especially physically) and keep occupied. Also, try not to wait until you're starving to eat. In my experience, that can lead to overeating.
  • lolly715
    lolly715 Posts: 106
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Talk to your parents. I'm assuming that they're buying the food, so would be aware of the quantities you're eating even if they don't see you do it. You don't have to specifically mention binging if you're not ready to talk about it, but you could say that you're trying to be healthier and all the extra food in the house isn't helping.

When my binging was at its worst, I completely cleared out the cupboards of all my binge foods and only kept a few days worth of meal food on hand at a time. I've only recently reintroduced snacks, and they still have to be in portion controlled packs. It's definitely a work in progress.

ETA: If you're buying it yourself on your way home from school, you need to break the habit. Perhaps leave your money at home if possible?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you can, discuss it with your parents. They probably already know, since they see you gain weight and they buy the food, so it won't be a surprise.

Join a sport. Do some exercise. Walk, run, swim, whatever.

If possible, talk to a therapist. Smart people consult experts when they need help.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    How old are you OP?
  • javba2
    javba2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Binge Eating is the most common eating problem in USA, its hallmark is over consumption with a sense of loss of control over eating, not even tasting while eating, and feelings of guilt thereafter. Please do seek help - and aim for eating more protein - try 200 calorie and under 200 calorie boluses separated by 20 - 30 min intervals to allow your body to absorb it an example would be 1/4 cup of Soynuts. Spread your daily caloric intake over 5 meals daily. Avoid Carbs it's the fall of blood sugar that triggers hunger. Use low GI Fruits - Apples. But Above all seek help specifically with someone who works with people having eating problems.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    It may be time for you to look into a 12 step program. Google OA and see what you come up with.
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    c4rtr4t wrote: »
    maybe the problem isn't your binge eating but something mental/emotional that is making you binge eat. have you thought about therapy? they can really be helpful in figuring out what issues you have and working on your confidence and image. then i think once that falls into place, you will have better control of your binges.

^^^This. I have depression and when it's really bad, I binge too. It's like I'm trying to fill a void with food. I keep track of my calories no matter how much I eat. It really does keep me in check so that I don't overdo it.
  • missability
    Options
    c4rtr4t wrote: »
    I agree with this ^^^ 100%...I was told once that I needed to "Face My stuff, and NOT stuff my face"...I already knew that stress and arguments within the home, along with a lot of thoughts about the emotional and sexual abuse as a child triggered my secret binges...I was bad...had it down to a science, even with juggling the check book, inserting fake expenses, having the cashier ring up the "house food", then ring up my stash separately, etc...so that my husband didn't know....I went to a place called "The Caron Foundation" in Wernersville, PA. Spent a week there doing experiential group therapy.... sadly it worked for about a year, then I allowed some unforeseen "stuff" be my "reason" to binge again. I was 35 yrs old at the time. I finally reached bottom in September of 2012, @ 304 lbs. I found MFP in January of 2013. and have lost more than my ticker says. I am currently @ 174. But it is still a struggle most days, not to let the "stuff" creep back in...I have recognized the fact that unlike many people I will have to log my food the rest of my life in order to stay on track. Just like an alcoholic really needs to stay out of bars...I feel that, for me anyway, it truly is a sickness, but as long as I stay on top of it, log my food, and keep myself accountable, I can keep it in remission...I also believe that sugar in the form of processed foods is also a trigger...the less of those things I eat, the better my day goes, and when I don't eat any of that stuff, but stick with raw and frozen fruits, veggies, fish, poultry, etc..I literally have no cravings at all and seem to be able to handle the day to day stress without caving....I am not looking for any debate, it's just been my personal experience and I wanted to share...Good luck to you!
  • elenanxs
    elenanxs Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm 18 years old.
    My parents don't specifically buy unhealthy food, my mom even cooks me healthy recipes like all kind of soups and fish and all of that. It's just that, for example, we buy a lot of bread and when I binge, because I don't have chocolate or anything sweet that I crave, I put bread in the toaster and eat it with honey (and not a teaspoon of honey, it's the entire jar), or homemade jam. Then I crave something salty and I go for almonds, nuts and pistachios, then I go back to something sweet and I can barely stop, it's a vicious circle.
    I did buy food on my way home (especially bars of chocolate), but I haven't done that in over half an year now.
    I realise that I obsess to much over food and I wish I could just look at it and not be afraid of it.