Post Pregnancy Belly Tightening?

Options
Hello. I'm new here. I'll give you a bit of my story and my questions. I'm 26, 5'5" and weight 138. I gained the normal amount (25 pounds) when pregnant. Everything is like it was before except my belly. I only got bigger in my belly while pregnant. I was literally "all in front". lol My skin stretched so much that it hurt and my doctor told me that my skin was at it's max. I have never worked out. I'm just one of those people that hasn't really had to so I have no idea where to begin. Like I said the rest of me is fine, it's just my stomach. I have about 2 inches of fat from about an inch above my belly button down to my c-section scar. It doesn't go the entire width of my belly, it's about 2 inches in from each side of my stomach. lol So weird. It's just the complete middle section of my belly and it looks like a deflated balloon. It's just squishy fat. lol Where do I start? Do start with cardio to burn the fat or do I start with stomach exercise to build muscle? I don't want to build muscle on top of fat. I don't belong to a gym or own any gym equipment. I don't plan on joining either. Suggestions on how to get it somewhat back to normal? Oh and I eat a balanced healthy diet. I don't eat or drink junk. I'm still breastfeeding so I drink a lot of water and eat very healthy. Thanks!!

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Your doctor was being silly. There's no such thing as skin being stretched to its max, AFAIK...at least if 400, 500, 600-lb. people are any indication (and they do exist). Their skin doesn't split open with their innards falling out. :lol:

Now...are you sure it's fat and not just skin? You're back down to your pre-pregnancy weight now?

If it's just skin...well, I have that extra skin permanently. I had it back down to 105, with working out. For some people it's "forever." For other people, not.

How long ago did you have your baby?

You won't build muscle on top of fat...though it's possible to build muscle under fat.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Your stomach sounds like mine after I had my baby. I'm willing to bet it's not all fat, and some of it is just your skin. I did nothing but cardio for 3 months and my belly shape never changed. My waist got smaller, but it still had the same appearance. Once I started to do strength training, the shape of my belly finally improved. I think the workouts combined with the time it took for my skin to heal is what finally made it better. I have pictures of it on my profile if you'd like to see what I look like now.
  • scoop3go
    scoop3go Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How long ago did you have your baby? Your body has been through a lot after pregnancy and labor and it takes a while (most likely months) for it to start to look close to normal again.
  • Southern_Doll
    Options
    My baby is 15 months. :) I haven't worked out at all yet because it effects my breastmilk supply so much. :( He's starting to wean a little bit so I thought I would start looking into what I will need to do. Maybe add some workout equipment or dvds etc to my christmas list. lol I may be able to take a picture of it and attach it on here.

Also, I know people can get huge and their skin not bust but it was different. It was super hard and thin and hurt for me to even run my fingers across my belly. I didn't have any stretch marks until 8 months. I was pretty small for awhile and then boom! beach ball. lol
  • Southern_Doll
    Options
    I also have that dreaded overhang from a c-section. My doctor pretty much told me "yeah, that's not going away. I still have mine" and shes like a size 0 and 90lbs. lol Other moms have said the only way to get rid of it is a plastic surgeon.
  • Southern_Doll
    Options
    Ugh I hate to even post these. So embarrassing but it will help y'all understand. :-\mujz8uy128ht.jpg
    vdwfmxfsu2lm.jpg
    g3fbwufs0v4j.jpg
    I also have that dreaded overhang from a c-section. My doctor pretty much told me "yeah, that's not going away. I still have mine" and shes like a size 0 and 90lbs. lol Other moms have said the only way to get rid of it is a plastic surgeon.

• Southern_Doll
    Options
    No one?? :(
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I would encourage you to begin to workout. I have no children so I can't relate to all of THAT, but certainly everyone needs to work out for HEALTH not for looks although it helps in that dept too. I say that because you mentioned you were "one of those people who....doesn't have to workout" well we ALL have to exercise. Start weighing and logging your food, start with sime exercise that you enjoy-- like walking , biking, swimming... Work your way up. If nothing else you will start to tighten and tone.
    Exercise (cardio and weights) will help you feel better about your body if nothing else. :smile: