Lose weight, then eat it back

Options
I've been on here a while and while I'm not that overweight, I want to lost 10lbs. I feel like every time I lose about 4lbs I make my way to eating it back. Like I'm rewarding myself (WITH FOOD!) for losing weight. This is nothing new to my life, I just know how much I love food. I try to reward myself with manicures, etc....but I have to be very honest with myself and realize that I just totally enjoy eating badly.

Also, I don't know about anyone else, but when I 'fall off track' and say, for example, eat more than my regulated calories, I tend to 'give up' for that day and figure I'll be better tomorrow. There's the landslide. Weeeeeeee.....

If you have advice for getting over that hump and not turning to food to reward yourself, please share. At this time I'm having more overeating days than normal and I want to be my skinny jeans for the summer....

Thanks,
Nicoco78

Replies

• music_lover_103
    Options
    i've been doing the same thing! just wanted to let you know that you're not alone.

it's especially hard for me since im not overweight (like you, i just wanna lose 10 lbs), so when i start overeating, i think "well, i didn't really need to lose anything anyway."

i want to make healthy eating into my lifestyle, but its so hard!
  • elsohypes
    elsohypes Posts: 30
    Options
    Thats literally exactly what I do, and its soo annoying. I ate that viscious loop :(
    I'm trying to plan out exactly what I eat everyday, so that I know thatll i have something to eat every few hours , and i know how many calories I'm eating.
    And also when I lose the weight i feel thinner and dont put so much effort into losing the weight even though i know a couple of pounds isn't a massive difference :(

I hope that i manage to learn to eat properly, i want to be healthy and just lose a bit of weight healthily

Good luck :)
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Both of you ladies have hit the nail on the head.

It's your mindset. Change your mindset. Don't think, "oh, I just wanna lose 10 lbs..." or whatever. You have to THINK about being healthy for a lifetime and THINK about what every bite you are putting in your body is going to do to it. Are you fueling your body, helping your muscles grow, or are you damaging your arteries and spiking your blood sugar through the roof only to have a crash later?

Just think, think, think! Soon it will become habit!
  • simonjstevens
    Options
    Go to the supermarket pick up a bag of sugar its 1lb then hold as many bags of sugar as you have lost per pound. Then think about how much better you feel. Then imagine how much lighter you will feel if you keep picking up the sugar!!. YOU WILL ONLY NEED TO DO THIS ONCE!! ;-) If you do this in the supermarket you will see how quickly your brain changes what you buy.

The other thing i can suggest drink water like crazy, bottles of the stuff. You will soon loose your hunger pangs.
  • RadicalCharlie
    RadicalCharlie Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I used to be like that too.

I just constantly stay in communities like this to keep me on track. I've lost 10 lbs and haven't gained any back less than a month.
  • music_lover_103
    Options
    nicoco78 and elsohypes, do you think we could start a sort of accountability on this thread? help each other for a couple weeks so that eating healthy becomes a habit? i know it would really help me : )
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    It looks like you might be set to lose 1 pound a week. Try changing it to 1/2 pound a week so you can eat a little more each day. Might be that having it set to eating fewer calories is causing you to need more... kind of a panic thing.

Knowing what causes you to do what you do is the first step of the battle. Now you need to make a plan of attack. For exampler, next time you eat 3 slices of pizza for dinner but meant to eat just 1, instead of saying I may as well go ahead and have a soda or cookie or salad caked in dressing, say to yourself... I ate much more than my body needs...looks like I'm having water for dessert.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    When you fall off track, log everything you eat that day anyway. There's a temptation to think "oh well, I've failed today so I might as well give up and start again tomorrow," but you can also (especially if you have the phone app) track your weekly stats: if you're a little over today, you can make up for it over the course of the week to keep your weekly calories on track, but if you go wild, that's harder.

Try to get out and get a lot of exercise once in a while (e.g. go for an all-day hike in the hills), and then you can let yourself eat badly for a treat on those days (or the day after, if you don't have time on your exercise days).