The day after you mess up...

Options
2»

Replies

• kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Each day is a new beginning. If you were to try to make up for yesterday (which I do not recommend), do it gradually and through additional exercise. Personally, I'd just log it and recommit to my original goal.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    What do you usually do the day after you mess up?

I ate 3,000 calories yesterday (whoops!). I was having trouble deciding between eating 200 today to make up for it, or eating my usual 1200 calories.

3,000 calories would only be about 1,000 calories or less above your maintenance...meaning, if you're keeping a 500 calorie deficit, then you've basically just wiped out the deficit for 2 days, so you'll just reach your goal 2 days later.

But really, if you're only eating 1200 calories, then either you're very short, or you're not eating enough. I'm only 5' 3 1/2" and my TDEE is right at 2000, +/- 200 for varying activity level. So I usually eat around 1500 to lose, and I'm short, and am only losing 15 lbs.

• katherineduweck
    katherineduweck Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up, start fresh TODAY. If you can come in a bit under your daily goal or get in an extra workout that's great, but that is true of any day. By setting expectations that are too harsh or punishing yourself, you are both treating your mind and body unfairly, and setting yourself up for a fall. Forgive your splurge day and stay positive!
  • starrynight1929
    starrynight1929 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    To clarify, I think 1200 calories is enough. My BMR is only 1400.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    To clarify, I think 1200 calories is enough. My BMR is only 1400.

You want to eat less than the 1700 if you're trying to lose, not the 1200. You don't look like you have much, if anything, to lose.
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    work out harder but eat as if you didn't work out
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Um, I ate over 3000 the day after Halloween and I just ate normally for the next week. Why would you starve yourself over one day? That mindset is kind of disturbing.

For the record, I'm 5'3.5" 119 lbs and maintain on 2100 with just my day to day life. Just treat today new and move on.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    You're 5'6", so according one BMR calculator, you burn 1810 calories a day at a sedentary level. You could lose 1 lb. a week eating 1310 calories. I don't think going over one day is going to hurt anything. Also, 120 is pretty thin for 5'6", on the low end of the BMI (around 19). 131 is actually a healthy weight for your height, around a BMI of 21. It is a bit concerning that you want to starve yourself over one high calorie day when you are already normal weight.
  • zack1st
    Options
    May not be great but I have eaten 6000+ calories some days,I have still lost over 3 stone in a 150 days,that may not be amazing to some but slow and steady wins the race
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    For the record, I'm 5'3.5" 119 lbs and maintain on 2100 with just my day to day life. Just treat today new and move on.

wow I'm 5"8 149lbs and maintain on 1700

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

wow I'm 5"8 149lbs and maintain on 1700

I'm a stay at home mom, I do work part time cleaning buildings for a few hours 3 days a week but the past 8 weeks I took my weight and calorie average and that's what it comes to. I'm very diligent about weighing 90% of what I can, my TDEE is probably a bit higher than most, I'll admit.
  • Tea_Mistress
    Tea_Mistress Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    We all have different goals, I don't see a point in telling her that she doesn't need to lose weight, a lot of us don't NEED to lose weight but we have our own reasons.
    In regards to your high day, you really don't need to worry about it since you're on such a low amount of calories anyway.
    From personal experience, I feel a lot more energetic and satisfied eating at my bmr than I did at 1200 whilst still losing weight :) I'm similar stats to you - nearly 5'6 and currently 127 trying to get to 120 , just some advice :)
  • summerhaze71
    summerhaze71 Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 and eat 1200 to lose. It's what MFP suggested. I am uncertain how to do the TDEE, but now that I read this post, am concerned that maybe I am getting too few calories. It's all so very confusing!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    In the long term (life commitment to fitness) one day or one meal means nothing. If you don't feel like eating after a day of eating too much, don't eat much. Your body is a good judge. In the long term, it is important to eat what your body needs, not what it wants or what your head craves. Dieting is a way to speed up weight loss, eating at maintenance for your weight will take longer, but the end result will be the same.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I carry excess calories to the next day. Short days get cut next. That's what tracking is about: doing it.

• starrynight1929
    starrynight1929 Posts: 92 Member
    Options

I carry excess calories to the next day. Short days get cut next. That's what tracking is about: doing it.

What do you mean, short days get cut next?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Log it move on and dont react in an extreme way. The damage from worry and recrimination is far too damaging. Try better next time if you must take it seriously. I might burn a bit of it off over a week at the gym.
  • amac1072
    amac1072 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    How timely is this thread, because yesterday I had a total binge on greasy Chinese (felt it afterwards, fo sho) and didn't get my dog walk in because of the stupid really cold rain. The dog needed it, and so did I!