Eating during the holidays

Options
How is everyone planning on eating over the next 5-6 weeks? I have at least one holiday party (2 weeks I have 2-3 each of those weeks!). I only am losing 1 lb per week and don't know if I should just be happy if I maintain or cut way back on the calories on the days I don't have a party. What is everyone's opinions? I really don't want to eat like a rabbit.

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lfl0nuPiYO1qdzjnp.gif
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'm eating whatever I want on the actually feasting days, maybe maintenance on a few others. But really, who am I kidding? I haven't lost weight in weeks so I've been eating at maintenance already anyway.

Food. Glorious food.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    tumblr_lfl0nuPiYO1qdzjnp.gif

^Ermegerd, you stole that picture of me from last year's Thanksgiviiiiiing.

Pahaha. I'm planning on enjoying myself, no regrets
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat, log, move on.
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    gorge on the days i can and then try to eat as normally as possible. emphasis on the "possible"
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Fortunately I don't have much planned so I'm going to just enjoy myself and log as best I can. Do a little extra cardio if I feel bloated and pick back up from wherever I end up at the beginning of next year.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I will eat whatever I want. I'll be up ten pounds. It'll go away in three or four days.
  • Taajsgpm
    Options
    How is everyone planning on eating over the next 5-6 weeks? I have at least one holiday party (2 weeks I have 2-3 each of those weeks!). I only am losing 1 lb per week and don't know if I should just be happy if I maintain or cut way back on the calories on the days I don't have a party. What is everyone's opinions? I really don't want to eat like a rabbit.

I dont let man made systemic "holidays" fool me anymore, my health is just that "myhealth" I no longer buy into things that made me unhealthy in the past
  • Atrocity108
    Atrocity108 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I am going to eat whatever is in front of me on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and any important party. I will increase my exercise and try to balance it out, but I refuse to miss out on a feast.
  • rhileyschubbygranny
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I have 4 holidays parties to go to between December 11 and December 20th. I'm totally screwed!!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I set my goal for maintenance during the holidays. I don't go crazy, but I do indulge in moderation.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my actual holidays and do what I want...but I don't treat the entire two months between Halloween and New Years as some kind of binge fest...there's far more to this season than stuffing your face full of *kitten* day in and day out.

I eat pretty much the same as I always eat this time of year, save for the actual occasions. I eat well and exercise regularly just like any other time of the year.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm in maintenance, but last year when I was losing, I made it a point to gain NO weight during this season - I ate what I wanted during the 'feasting days', but ate at a regular deficit every other day. THIS year, I am planning on making sure I do not go over 135 pounds. If I do, I'll be right back to eating at a deficit until I hit the low end of my maintenance range again. :) Good luck!
  • bibliocephalus
    bibliocephalus Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm going to work out more, so I can eat more and still stay within my deficit, or for the big days, within my maintenance.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I would like to lose 5-10 pounds between now and 2015, but I guess I will be happy with just not gaining over the next 6 weeks. :wink:
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    You could eat at maintenance, you don't have to worry about weight gain during those weeks and continue your weight loss after the holidays... or if you want to keep losing weight, may I suggest you choose to lose .5lb/week in the meantime. :flowerforyou:
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    For me, the holidays are Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Eve and not Thanksgiving thru New Year’s Eve. This means I will not log on those three days but will continue with my weight loss routine on all other days in between.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Pretty much do what I normally do. Log/workout as usual, and just eat the special holiday dishes in moderation. For parties/business meetings/trips, I just have one alcoholic drink and skip the nibbles (they're just never worth it to me), and that won't change. The only difference is that the extra workout calories are likely to be used for things like mince pies, Christmas cake and port rather than my usual snacks, and on Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year I won't worry about the total calories.

I'll probably try and workout a bit more, but simply because I take vacation at the end of the year and I have more time to do so.

I like my lifestyle. I don't want to change it.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    how i approach holiday season is to maintain my weight. so it allows me to indulge a bit more but not over do it.

how i indulge.
    i spend my calories on things i don't normally eat at home that i like. i.e. pumpkin pie. i don't make or eat pumpkin pie at home but i love it so i eat that. i don't normally eat mashed potatoes so i have a good portion of that. i skip on bread or have a small piece of it (i can eat good bread anytime and i do). etc. strategize for those higher calorie options which ones are the most important to you and "spend" on those.

also eat on a plate, dont graze.

and once its over its over. no midnight snacks, no rolling over to the next day continuing. once the event/meal is over go back to your normal diet the next meal.

i also have lighter meals on the day I know I'm going to be indulging at an event to help balance my calories. i don't starve myself! i just don't eat a super high calorie meal.