New and Nervous

Options
Hello all,

I'm trying to lose about 40 lb, but slowly is fine with me as long as it's consistent. I'm afraid to tell anyone in my life that I am trying to lose weight, so I'm hoping that writing here will help. I would love to hear back from anyone. When I was younger I terribly skinny. It caused a lot of problems in my family and the idea of actually trying to lose weight was shameful (and still is, hence my nervousness). However, I became depressed in high school and I ended up gaining all the weight I lacked and then some mostly through binge-eating. Now I have been overweight for almost five years, and all I want is to be healthy. Thankfully, my relationship with food has been relatively normal for the past year or two, but I slightly overeat on a regular basis out of habit and I am very uncomfortable with feeling hungry (drilled into me throughout childhood). Sometimes I have a lighter day of food and then become so anxious because I am hungry at the end of the day that I overeat significantly right before bed. Other times I just eat bad food because it is available at my dad's house (I don't know why I do this, as I prefer the healthy food I buy). Another thing to add is that I have been vegetarian since I was six years old for ethical/animal reasons, and I have been vegan (even in the binges) through most of my adolescence and still today at 21 years old. I would say that at least 95% of what I eat is incredibly healthy (whole food, vegan, organic); I just eat too much of it too regularly. Mostly I just want to lose weight slowly and healthfully by cutting the frequent overeating and occasional junk food without starving myself, either. And I need to learn to exercise, too, which will be difficult with my leg injury and busy work schedule. But these things must happen because I could enjoy life so much more with a more healthy body. I know I will need the support of others to make this happen.

Here's to Day 2!

Lucia

Replies

• fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Welcome
  • joek5637
    joek5637 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    well hello if you need a friend here Iam :)
  • BlueEyedRedhead
    BlueEyedRedhead Posts: 5,169 Member
    Options
    Welcome! This is a great resource, and people are quite helpful and supportive.
    Good for you for wanting to get a handle on things at such a young age! :)
    Best Wishes!!
  • brundell88
    brundell88 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • shani_fitness
    Options
    Hello!

I'd happily become a motivation friend (:
    Feel free to ask for advice, I also have experience with eating issues....

Welcome, and good luck!
  • Taajsgpm
    Options
    Welcome , youre on your way, this year IM 47 , so I understand, Ive finally quit smoking and eating right go for it, you wont regret it at all and congrats
  • RyanMatthewHarrell
    Options
    Welcome welcome and feel free to add me if you'd like. I face a similar problem with not wanting to tell anyone I'm working out and using this site as an outlet but for a different reason.
  • KLangleydoula
    KLangleydoula Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Hi Lucia! Thanks for sharing your story! I would love to be friends!
  • into_fitness
    into_fitness Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    hi welcome! great job at making a step in the right direction with your health. don't worry... your secrets are safe on here with us!
  • Rodman72
    Options
    Welcome! We're all on here with the same goal in mind, drop a few lbs and stay healthy. I am sure we all have different stories, different goals, etc, but we all can use some support and motivation. Feel free to include me!
  • stopdropandlose
    stopdropandlose Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Welcome :) Feel free to add!