Thanksgiving Desserts

Options
tpcramer
tpcramer Posts: 2 Member
Anyone have any desserts (such as pies, bars, cookies, etc) that are low in fats and sugar? Looking for dessert ideas for Thanksgiving dinner (we are hosting). Thank you so much.

Has anyone found a good substitute for butter in baking recipes?

Tanya

Replies

• PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Low in fat AND sugar? More like low in taste. Just enjoy yourself, it's one time a year.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You can lowER fats and sugars. But remove them and you likely won't be asked to host Thanksgiving ever again.

I would just go with pumpkin pie....it's a single crust already.....just roll it thinner. Use skim evaporated milk and egg beaters.....both non-fat .....expect a different texture. Not horrible, just not as good. Substitute Splenda, be warned is browns more easily. You may need to cover your pie with foil when you bake it.

Rule of thumb you can reduce fat and sugar (about 25%) and most recipes will work. Applesauce is a great substitute for oil in cakes.....in cookies only use if you are going for a "cake-like" texture. Watery texture applesauce is NO substitute if you want crunchy, crispy cookies.

I make a pumpkin crunch cake (nothing fancy).....cake mix (you could use sugar free) + 1 cup pumpkin + (some) water + eggs + baking soda....pour 1/2 batter in pan. Sprinkle streusel...then layer again. I would have to look for the exact recipe when I get home.

Angel Food cake is non-fat. I've seen pumpkin angel food cake recipes. I would buy a sugar free angel food cake before I would attempt to make one on my own.

Meringues are non-fat. I would imagine you could use Splenda. Make a pretty meringue shell and top with fruit.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I am going to be making individual serving desserts in mini fillo cups (they are in the freezer section). There is a recipe for quite a few different flavorings and they are 60-80 calories each. Mousse type filling. I think a nutella with a toasted hazelnut in the center and a pumpkin mousse in some. You could do any flavor you like. Grand Marnier, Baileys etc.
  • JourneyToWonderWoman
    Options
    If you go to Hungry Girl's website, she posted some awesome recipe. There's a pumpkin pie parfait that I am excited to try out!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Well if you're hosting... I'd go with the regular stuff, and maybe do one lower calorie dish for yourself (like a nice apple crisp or something). I mean, I can't imagine serving crustless pumpkin pie to my guests on Thanksgiving.
  • tpcramer
    tpcramer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your tips! I will have a low fat/low sugar dessert as well as other desserts. My family respects and supports my weight loss journey and are alright with whatever we make. Plus, my dad is diabetic so it helps him as well. Thanks again!
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Maybe a crustless pumpkin pie? It is only one day a year.
  • Taajsgpm
    Options
    tpcramer wrote: »
    Anyone have any desserts (such as pies, bars, cookies, etc) that are low in fats and sugar? Looking for dessert ideas for Thanksgiving dinner (we are hosting). Thank you so much.

Has anyone found a good substitute for butter in baking recipes?

Tanya

This year my Thanksgiving day dessert is goingto be a long walk , one or 2 beers and a sweet fruity vape, since Ive also quit smoking this year and couldnt be more grateful for anything else, no sweets , I dont need them , they dont make me happy in the long run :smiley: just my 2 cents , not knocking anyone, moderation in all things , just dont let the "holidays" trick you , happy holidays everyone