What Are "CLA" Supplements?

Options
Please don't comment if you are just going to say that no pills help. I've seen people mention CLA supplements for weight loss but I don't know anything about it. There are several of these products on Amazon and BodyBuilding with lots of reviews but I worry they are fake. I just want reliable information.

Replies

• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I have taken them and I don't feel that they really did anything extra for me. I'm not sure what they are supposed to do, I just bought some because someone else told me they helped them lose weight. Again, I took them and noticed no difference. I lost these 20 lbs while not taking them.

One thing I do take that I feel helps is GABA. I take 2-3 grams before bed and it helps me sleep. It's supposed to promote HGH production. I don't know if it does that, but it gives me a kinda warm fuzzy feeling, and helps me get a good night's sleep and wake up feeling more rested. It's also really cheap, and one container will last a long time.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    They are a fat supplement or conjugated lenoleic acid.

I have tried them when I got them free with my protein and didn't notice any benefits from them. I stick with my omega3 caps.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Damn. Seems like they don't do much behind all the fake reviews online.
  • Smamfa
    Smamfa Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I take them - have been for a month or so. I think they have helped me. I lost an inch from my hips and waist in the first 3 weeks which for me is great progress.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I take them - have been for a month or so. I think they have helped me. I lost an inch from my hips and waist in the first 3 weeks which for me is great progress.

How do you know it's not because of your diet and exercise activities? Were you at a plateau until you started taking CLA?
  • AntonyLamsdell
    Options
    When I did my initial weight loss I used them, exercise and dieting to lose 5 stone, I feel that they complement exercise driven methods more.

Ultimately though read the supporting scientific paper/journals which tend to be more concrete than anecdote. :)
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    CLA is a fatty acid that is being sold supposedly as a fat burner.
    Scientifically, the level of evidence is minimal / non existent in terms of reduction of fat after absorption of CLA.
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Perhaps interesting to read for you:
    http://examine.com/supplements/Conjugated+Linoleic+Acid/
  • Smamfa
    Smamfa Posts: 139 Member
    Options

How do you know it's not because of your diet and exercise activities? Were you at a plateau until you started taking CLA?

My diet and exercise routine havent changed for months. I hadnt lost any inches for a while - whether it was a co-incidence or the CLA I cant say 100%.
  • JaneyB311
    JaneyB311 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have taken them for around 6 months now ad in that time have lost around 40 lbs and 16 inches however I do eat well and exercise 4-6 times per week, so it's difficult to gauge their effectiveness alone.

I take them more for their antioxidant properties along with a multivitamin, however I have read that rather than be a fat burner the way some supplements are, they prevent the laying down of new fat cells and therefore are more helpful at assisting maintaining weight rather than being an aid to fat loss.

I am certainly no expert (and don't profes to be!) so I can only tell you things from my point of view.
  • calorie712
    Options
    I've taken 6000mg/day for over a month. I think it really helps with cravings. I take it in the morning, noon, and night. I don't think you "need" it, but I think it is helping me so I'm going to keep taking it. If I miss it my crazy carb cravings come back. I am 225lbs and 5'8". So I am obese and I've read it helps obese people.

755878.png
  • Branawesomer
    Branawesomer Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I take CLA along with a bunch of other stuff currently. In the past I've taken just cla. I did notice a difference between using it and not. A bit more of weight loss. I believe it can work.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Please don't comment if you are just going to say that no pills help. I've seen people mention CLA supplements for weight loss but I don't know anything about it. There are several of these products on Amazon and BodyBuilding with lots of reviews but I worry they are fake. I just want reliable information.

They're a great way to spend $40. Give it a try and find out.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) is a fatty acid related to the Omega 6 fatty acids. It occurrs naturally in milk and red meat. It's not a stimulant or some kind of synthetic fat burner.

There are studies that seem to show that it may be effective with aiding fat loss in those who are already doing the right things (exercising and eating at a caloric deficit). It's supposed that this could be due to aiding in the release of energy from fat cells or perhaps from inhibiting the growth of existing fat cells.
    It's also thought that CLA may aid in muscle retention and muscle building (I read one of one study where participants ended their diets and those who stopped taking CLA gained 75% fat and 25% muscle while those who continued taking CLA gained 50% fat and 50% muscle).
    Unrelated to fat loss, CLA is being studied as a possible preventative for some types of cancers including colorectal cancers and possibly even breast and prostate cancer.

Long story short: It may or may not make a noticable difference for you but there have been no negative effects associated with taking CLA and it has been shown to have the potential for several health benefits regardless of whether it aids with fat loss. For that, I see no harm in trying it and if it helps with reaching your goals then all the better.