This ones for the bathroom - BM question...

Options
FlatWet
FlatWet Posts: 109 Member
edited November 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys! Gonna jump straight into this one.

So, I have always been pretty regular and never worried about my BMs. BUT, in the past 2 months, (since I have been logging / counting calories rather than eating intuitively), my BMs have been not regular at all, or that frequent. To clarify: I didn't radically change my eating habits when I began logging, but do eat some foods (like heavily fried thai noodles) much less frequently now.
I am also a water fanatic, drink 2 cups of coffee in the AM (which never was problematic before) and drink a lot of tea, green and herbal, throughout the day.

My diary is open, is there anything that I am blatantly lacking? Or - suggestions to get more evened out?

Thanks so much!!
Xo

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Eat more fiber.
  • Daphnerose86
    Daphnerose86 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the same changes to my body as well. There's not a lot of information on the web pertaining to how regular is the right kind of regular for bowl movements. On days where I don't have a BM I don't feel any discomfort or bloating or anything either. I figure that because I am eating at a deficit to lose weight my body is trying to use the foods I provide it more efficiently- leaving less waste- less to discard. I tried eating more fiber and it just made me super gassy- embarrassingly so. You may simply just not have anything to get rid of. If you are concerned you may be constipated there are a lot of good gentle over the counter stool softeners that may help you.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Swap out the sugar column for the the fiber one. Slowly increase your fiber so that you don't get all bloated and fart a lot.

Water! Drink water instead of other beverages as much as you can.

Exercise! Even a daily 20-30 minute walk will help keep the poopies moving.

When people don't eat enough, constipation is a common problem. So make sure you're eating enough. If you are starving (not saying you ARE, just IF), you will have trouble pooping.
  • bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have IBS and diverticulosis, so I suffer frequent bowel problems. Are you suffering any adverse effects from the infrequency such as bloating, intestinal pains, etc? If not, the frequency itself is probably not a big deal unless you're only going once every 3 days or something like that. If your stool is dry and difficult to pass, you could try increasing fiber and possibly healthy fats. You could also try a stool softener like docusate sodium (make sure it doesn't contain any stimulant laxatives as many softeners do). If that doesn't work, you could move up to something more powerful like polyethylene gylocol (Miralax), but don't take any of these for more than a day or two without the advice of a doctor because they can cause dependency. Also, don't be upset if your weight goes up because these are both osmotic drugs that aggregate fluid in the large intestine to soften the stool.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Rather than fiber (as you seem fine there based on your diary), look to up your fats a bit. Pooping is not always about fiber.

However, depending on how severe, it may be advisable to see a doctor.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You may want to increase your fat intake.

http://modernhealthmonk.com/low-fiber-diet/

This article helped me a lot, when I reduced my calories, at the beginning of my weight loss journey. I didn't know why I was so constipated, despite eating oatmeal, fruits and vegetables daily. So I tried to rectify the issue by consuming even more fibre, and ended up even more bloated and constipated. Once I introduced more fat into my diet, such as eating peanut butter or avocados, I had no issues. This may or may not work for you, but you may want to try it out.

Alternatively, what has also helped me greatly, in instances that I don't have high-fat foods around, are papayas, or plain black coffee.

Good luck, OP!
  • FlatWet
    FlatWet Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Ok! Definitely will try upping the fats and getting my cardio in more frequently. Thank you guys so much for your help! :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Less food in = less waste out

That said fibre tracking instead of sugar, have oils in your diet
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Colace is a great stool softener, but it won't make you go. It just softens the poop up so that when you do go, it is easier to pass. No straining to get a dry little pebble out. :) The generic is just as good. Find the Colace, flip it over and read the ingredients. Then compare that to the generic. If the generic is the same, it's the same stuff. (With generics, it's often the same stuff, made by the same people, in the same plant...and packaged differently.)

If you go 4+ days without pooping! call the doctor! for sure.

Hope it all works out (tiny pun intended.)
    :)
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Have taco bell, it will get you going
  • sarahjane135
    sarahjane135 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Go to Long John Silvers & be sure to get it to go because you will not make it back home otherwise. Seriously though I have been going through the same changes and some things that help are mangoes, more water, a tablespoon olive oil mixed with a tablespoon lemon juice, squats, & abdominal massage.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    More oils, foods with magnesium like black strap molasses, aloe gel or juice, baking soda, prunes /prune juice (have sorbitol in them).