Need something high in calories with good nutrition

Options
So I started using this simple meal to lose weight
Salsa, for the taste,
Kidney beans, for the protein
and cottage cheese for both reasons.
The problem is that it fills me up but my calories are extremely low.
Fiber does that I hear
So what I need is something healthy with higher calorie density so I can supplement my calories
Any ideas?

Replies

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Quinoa or avacados would go good with that. I think.....are you putting the cottage cheese on that? Just curious lol. Just add more food, or eat a snack between that meal and the next.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Check out Edamame seed pods. They'd go great with salsa. Chick peas or their blended counterpart, hummus.
  • stjanki
    Options
    Of course eating more would be an easy solution. I was wondering if there was an area where I was lacking in nutrition. And yes I put cottage cheese on it. It preserves the taste of the salsa but eliminates the spicy feeling I get in my mouth :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and a doughnut for dessert?
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Bacon, meat, avocado or more cheese
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    quinoa , avocado ,nuts , seeds,chickpeas,hummus
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Icecream for the fats and protein, oily fish for omega 3 essential oils, olive oil, full fat greek yogurt, fruit & veg for vitamins etc nut butters and maybe a burger to top you up at the end?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I love cottage cheese and salsa as a dip. That meal sounds tasty but isn't it rather low on protein and high in sodium? Perhaps salsa, kidney beans and full fat plain Greek yogurt instead? That'd give you lots more protein and much less sodium. If the texture is off you could half and half the yogurt and cottage cheese, maybe.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Cashew chicken...............go heavy on the cashews.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Never thought of mixing cottage cheese with salsa. Will have to try soon. Thanks for the tip!
  • stjanki
    Options
    Hmmm. What if I were to add some tuna to the mix?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Tuna would definitely up the protein factor but not help the sodium. I guess as long as you aren't experiencing any water retention issues or have a family history of heart disease you're okay with a lot of sodium but if I ate cottage cheese all the time I'd look like a water balloon.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Another low calorie protein, not what you are looking for if the issue is being too full and leaving yourself too low.

You asked if your were leaving yourself deficient in anything, maybe opening your diary would help with suggestions

But to me it does sound like you might not be getting enough fats
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    stjanki wrote: »
    Of course eating more would be an easy solution. I was wondering if there was an area where I was lacking in nutrition. And yes I put cottage cheese on it. It preserves the taste of the salsa but eliminates the spicy feeling I get in my mouth :)

Whether or not you're lacking in nutrition is going to depend some on what else you're eating for your other meals. You can look through your nutrition reports on MFP to see if you're low on anything, though.

If you eat meat, you could add beef or chicken. Also, cheese, sour cream, avocado, or sweet potato would mix well with that meal, I think.
  • Tickwomp
    Options
    I would die without peanut butter. Almond butter is also high calorie/fat/protein.
  • stjanki
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses
    In response to sodium, my family has no record of heart disease
    At this point, it isn't water that makes me look fat. Fat is making me look fat :)
    Maybe once I drop the body fat, I will drop the sodium too for a better physique.
    And in response to nuts. There isn't a nut on this planet that I wouldn't spit out. I am not allergic, just don't like the taste of them :)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Cheese stuffed filet mignon.
  • ScottDowell
    ScottDowell Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    For gaining high calories you can have Fat and oil,dry fruits and fruit juices, Avocado,Whole grains, milk and egg,oily fish,meat etc.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    How about adding chicken and avocado and some shredded cheese to that mix?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    That meal needs some fat in it. Avocado, nuts, or hummus all pack good nutrition along with fat and calories.