My exercise routine. Hoping it's a good start!

Options
I'm finally getting back into the routine of things. I really didn't know what was a good amount for someone to exercise a week. I looked online and it said that on average, people should be getting 150 minutes a week of exercise (but of course is can vary from person to person. So, as of right now, this is my plan. I have a small gym in my apartment building. So, I do an elliptical weight lost workout. I work on my legs on low impact and try to do a push and pulling motion on the higher impact to work my arms (I don't know if the elliptical works the arms too well, but my underarms [triceps] really need to tighten up). Then I do a cool down for 5 minutes. The whole program itself is 33 minutes long, switching every 4 minutes to low impact to a higher impact, back down to low again for 28 minutes. Then it has a 5 minute cool down session. I usually burn about 350 calories from that. Then I go back into my apartment (because I'm too embarrassed to do it in the gym), and do 12 minutes of squats, wall push-ups (because I can't do a regular push up yet), and crunches. I do one minute of squats, one minute of wall push ups, and 2 minutes of crunches. I repeat that 3 times. I do that 3x a week. As I lose weight I will most likely need to switch things up, but for right now I'm hoping this is a good start.

Replies

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Any start is a good start! :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If it's more than you were doing last month, then yes... it's a good start.
  • ScottDowell
    ScottDowell Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Surely it is a good start. But please continue it daily. Don;t leave after some days.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    it's a good start, and having rest days in between is perfectly fine.

After a while, you may want to add in some variety - what else is there on offer in the gym? Do they run group classes? Ask the gym for help - most will set up a workout programme for you based on your goals and how often you can go.

Don't be afraid or embarrassed to do squats or push-ups in the gym - firstly, people are generally concentrating on what they are doing themselves, secondly, if they do pay attention to you they are more likely to be impressed than critical.

Are there 'non-gym' activities you like to do? Me, I like to walk and swing dance. So I don't go to the gym daily but try and fit in some other activities, and yes, sometimes lounging on the sofa is just fine.
  • EmilyRay150
    Options
    I love kickboxing. But my college is in a very small town, so nothing like that is offered. The school itself does offer some workout classes. Due to my schedule this semester I wasn't able to make it, but next semester I'll be able to go. I've nervous, but excited because I know I'll be getting a better workout. Also, I'm looking to sign up for badminton next semester as well. As for the gym in my apartment, it's just a small gym. There are no trainers there or programs or anything, it's just a bunch of machines in a room.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Also for a beginner you can do knee pushups until you build up. You can also do workout vids from youtube there are all kinds for free. Walking also is very good all over workout. With a hour walk you will start to see results! Maybe not scale wise right off but definitely inches. I love it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I love kickboxing. But my college is in a very small town, so nothing like that is offered. The school itself does offer some workout classes. Due to my schedule this semester I wasn't able to make it, but next semester I'll be able to go. I've nervous, but excited because I know I'll be getting a better workout. Also, I'm looking to sign up for badminton next semester as well. As for the gym in my apartment, it's just a small gym. There are no trainers there or programs or anything, it's just a bunch of machines in a room.

Kickboxing DVDs? .....see if the library has them, or if there are some on YouTube.

This lady gets great reviews.......

http://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=ilaria