Not enough water, now I am in trouble :(

Options
Well today I started having pains in my lower left stomach and around to my lower left side/back area. The pain is constant but not too bad (around a 2 or 3 on pain scale). But then it intensifies from time to time and runs about a 6 or 7. Now I am also nauseous, and starting to throw up. I input my symptoms into medical checker and it says I have kidney stones. It also stated that one of the causes of kidney stones is not drinking enough water and a high protein diet. I only drink 2 or 3 glasses of water a day, and I started my diet 6 weeks ago and I try to eat a lot of protein. So guess I am off to ER tomorrow morning and get checked out. So, please guys-drink plenty of water. Don't find out the hard way like I am doing now.

Replies

• AestheticStar
    AestheticStar Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    When you eat high protein foods, you HAVE to drink water. Fitness people say that constantly. Because if you don't drink water, then it's hard on your kidney & your liver I do believe. Water is essential with proteins & fibers. Just remember that next time. You definitely have to have more than 2-3 glasses of water a day. I had a doctor tell me you should have a glass for about every hour you're awake. Which yeah, that's extreme. I try to have at least 8-10.
    Good luck though & I hope it's nothing serious.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You should go to the ER or at least call your doctor (who will tell you to go to the ER.)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    rcookenc wrote: »
    Well today I started having pains in my lower left stomach and around to my lower left side/back area. The pain is constant but not too bad (around a 2 or 3 on pain scale). But then it intensifies from time to time and runs about a 6 or 7. Now I am also nauseous, and starting to throw up. I input my symptoms into medical checker and it says I have kidney stones. It also stated that one of the causes of kidney stones is not drinking enough water and a high protein diet. I only drink 2 or 3 glasses of water a day, and I started my diet 6 weeks ago and I try to eat a lot of protein. So guess I am off to ER tomorrow morning and get checked out. So, please guys-drink plenty of water. Don't find out the hard way like I am doing now.

Yep, going to the doctor is your best bet. However, since you will go to the ER, why are you waiting until tomorrow?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Good luck at the ER.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor, NOW, please.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    If it's bad enough to go to the ER instead of your GP, then it's bad enough to go now.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    You're going to wait until tomorrow for the ER? Then don't waste the ER's time and go to an urgent care. You don't view this as an emergency, so keep the ER queues open for emergencies.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    You're going to wait until tomorrow for the ER? Then don't waste the ER's time and go to an urgent care. You don't view this as an emergency, so keep the ER queues open for emergencies.
    Agreed that saying, "I have an emergency, so I'll take a nap and then take care of it" is not logical.

OP, please consider the idea that the Internet might be wrong about the source of your pain and it's cause. Seek help from people who know what the hell they're doing.
  • eatliveplay
    eatliveplay Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ah Dr. Google...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If it's bad enough to go to the ER instead of your GP, then it's bad enough to go now.

this
  • rcookenc
    Options
    I chose to wait cause even if I go to the ER, all pharmacies are closed now and I wont be able to get any Rx filled till then anyway. As far as an Urgent Care, there is only 1 I know of that is close to me (25 miles), and they don't take my insurance. And it takes at least 2-3 weeks from time I call to get appt. w/ my PCP. Anyway I just woke up and feel a lot better right now. I am sure as the day progresses that it will return, unless I have been lucky enough to pass it late last night or this morning. I am preparing tho to go today as soon as any symptoms return. And I plan on drinking plenty of water from now on. Thanks for all your comments and advice.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    One of the main reasons i cold turkey soda on the first day of my WOE was to make water my main fluid intake. Still have a cup or two of coffee a day but otherwise its water water water.

Be well and good luck.
  • ScottDowell
    ScottDowell Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with you, water is really very important for our body and if you don't drink it in a proper amount then you can have several body problems. So, as the quotation goes, Prevention is better than cure, therefore if you don't drink water than start drinking it because nothing is much important in your life than your health.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why would you wait until tomorrow to go to the ER?
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I always think of lower left pain as being diverticulitis and that can come and go.
  • nhaynie228
    nhaynie228 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hope you get to feeling better! One way that I make sure to get my water is I got a 32 oz. water bottle and just make through I drink one full bottle between breakfast and lunch, one full bottle between lunch and dinner, and then generally one more from dinner to bed. That way I get in my goal of 80-100 ounces a day! Hope this helps!
  • GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I had something similar except it was accompanied by palpitations. The internet had me convinced I was dying. I went to the doctor (as you should) and it turned out to be from the multivitamins I was taking. Switched brands and it went away.
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    If you feel you need to go to ER go now. They can give you medications if needs be to tide you over until the pharmacy opens.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    You all must live in places that have very different ER care from what i am used to. My local ER doesn't do much of anything unless you are having a heart attack, stroke, or need something sewn back on. Even then, they usually drive you to another hospital.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    CarrieCans wrote: »
    You all must live in places that have very different ER care from what i am used to. My local ER doesn't do much of anything unless you are having a heart attack, stroke, or need something sewn back on. Even then, they usually drive you to another hospital.

I sat in the ER for two hours a week and a half ago, and there was only one person ahead of me. I had a fever of 102 for 5 days straight and a headache that made me think I had a brain tumor. Unless you complain that you are having trouble breathing, they'll just give you fluids and a light pain medication and tell you to follow up with your GP --- when you eventually make it out of the dang waiting room.

But I do agree, going to the ER now is better than waiting until tomorrow!