Losing hope in weight loss..need some advice

Options
For the last month I have lost hope in my weight loss journey.
I stopped controlling how much I eat..and gained nearly 1 pound in the process.
I have also stopped exercising. I think I am ready to give up.
I really need some advice at this point.

Replies

• pdxheathrow
    Options
    I have also stopped counting how much I eat. It's part of the process. Also 1lb gained? That's nothing. My body weight goes up and down all the time. Don't give up. Start fresh tomorrow.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    hannah6109 wrote: »

you have two choices really. give in and stay the weight you are which presumably you are unhappy with? or put your big girl pants on, suck it up and get on with it!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

weight loss isn't about hope - it's about committment

You don't need advice you know this - you're just feeling sorry for yourself. Stop it!

Re-commit to what you want. Because you're the only one in this for you.

Losing weight is hard. Being overweight is hard. Pick your hard.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Everybody slips up. :) (Or most people - I don't like absolutes.) One pound is nothing! You can get right back on that horse and be getting healthier again in no time. Tomorrow is a brand-new day. Every day you make choices. Make good choices just this one day. Then just the next day... ;) It adds up.
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You want advice? Get off your *kitten*, hit the gym and watch what you eat instead of lamenting the consequences of your bad decisions.

More constructively: you need to set a firm goal, visualize that goal, imagine how you will feel, what you will look like etc. You then need to think of what will happen if you don't and continue on your current path.

If that doesn't motivate you enough to get up and go do something about it, well, congratulations - you'll be just like the other 80% of decadent western society who live in a universe of congratulatory self-loathing, spending their time on social media forums trying to make themselves feel better about their pathetic lives.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Either you want this or you don't. I'm the type of person who usually gives up after three days, yet ten months later I'm still here. You can live the same life you've been living, inevitably gaining weight, or you can get back out there and work to get what you want.
  • Jojomotivated
    Jojomotivated Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Keep going! You can do this =) Consistency is the key!
  • Mandea0321
    Mandea0321 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was in the hospital for 4 days recently and because I couldn't exercise and still am not able to (due to heart issues) I gained 5lbs but when I got out, but now I've figured out how to adjust my eating so that I can still lose weight without exercise. :) Soon I'll be able to exercise again and all will be good....
    point to this is, don't give up, it's a journey and anyone who has traveled knows that there are usually set backs on any journey but you just have to keep going and sooner than you realize you will be at your destination.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

My advice: Don't give up. Start exercising. Stop overeating. Examine why you are giving up.

Did you cut your calories so low that you were always hungry or unsatisfied? Did you choose an exercise program that was too agressive or you did not enjoy? Have cut all your favorite foods in favor of eating "healthy" or "diet" foods?

Find some type of exercise that you enjoy. As long as you are moving, you are on the right track. Eat foods that you enjoy. Keep your diet balanced, but don't give up everything you love. Make room for rest days and treats. You don't have to be good all the time to get good results.
  • hannah6109
    Options
    Aww thanks guys:)
    That's exactly all that I needed.
    Today was really a big improvement.
    And tomorrow I'm hoping it can be even better.
    You all really gave me a push in the right direction.
    Thanks again..really appreciate it!!

• hannah6109
    Options

My advice: Don't give up. Start exercising. Stop overeating. Examine why you are giving up.

Did you cut your calories so low that you were always hungry or unsatisfied? Did you choose an exercise program that was too agressive or you did not enjoy? Have cut all your favorite foods in favor of eating "healthy" or "diet" foods?

Find some type of exercise that you enjoy. As long as you are moving, you are on the right track. Eat foods that you enjoy. Keep your diet balanced, but don't give up everything you love. Make room for rest days and treats. You don't have to be good all the time to get good results.[/quote]

I really do cut down on eating and almost make it to 1000 calories. I really will
    try my best to enjoy what I eat and still eat in moderation.
    And exercise I absolutely hate it. Any suggestions?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Find some type of exercise that you enjoy. As long as you are moving, you are on the right track. Eat foods that you enjoy. Keep your diet balanced, but don't give up everything you love. Make room for rest days and treats. You don't have to be good all the time to get good results.

I really do cut down on eating and almost make it to 1000 calories. I really will

Gosh, there are so many options when it comes to exercise. Hiking, bike riding, DVDs, walking, running, swimming, weights, calisthenics, active video games. Seriously, anything that gets you moving and your heart rate up is good. Turn on some music and dance. Dancing is great exercise.

I prefer outdoor exercises so I struggle a little more when it's cold out. And sometimes you just have to suck it up and do it even when you don't like it. There are days when I just get out my old step (from step aerobics) and step up and down while watching TV. Even 20-30 min of exercise a day can make a difference.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

why are you only eating 1000 calories?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    What are your age/height/weight? Your ticker says you only have 26 pounds to lose, so 1000 is probably going to be too low.

I'm a person who hates exercise as well, and I've finally graduated from months of only walking to elliptical for my cardio days and strength training. You can start out with maybe a 30-minute walk, and increase your speed and distance from there.