Please help me! I need motivation

Options
iamadreamer2
iamadreamer2 Posts: 11
edited November 2014 in Motivation and Support
I am here tonight because I need motivation. My eating habits are bad...I am too embarrassed to share what and how I have been eating in detail but I am afraid of gaining the weight that I had worked so hard to lose this summer. Running outside is not something I look forward to anymore because it is so cold and by the time I have the time and the energy to go running it is dark. I say that I will workout indoors but I don't.
On the bright side of things is that I fluctuate between losing and gaining 3-4 kgs but I want to not gain and lose even more. I am still far from my ultimate goal of 75 kg. I need to stay motivated. I need people to encourage me. Can you help me?
I know with the right support, I will log more and feel more responsible for keeping up better eating and exercise habits. Please add me or just start a conversation with me and in return, I promise to be encouraging as well!

Replies

• Chandler330
    Chandler330 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'd love to help support you and hopefully you can do the same for me :) I've found that it's a lot easier to stay good and stick with things now that friends can see what I'm taking in and be held accountable. I'm sending you a friend request now
  • rjvt5691
    Options
    feel free to add me! we can do this together & hold each other accountable!
  • MandaMarie2010
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well!
  • weatheredcheese
    weatheredcheese Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Part of motivation is to find what gets you going, why are you trying to lose weight, how far to that goal and what is stopping you. These are the questions you need to ask yourself and if the answer to the last question is "it is too dark" then get some lights, get some hi-vis gear and get out there.
    I'm not confident in my body, I lied in a half hearted attempt on MFP for a couple of months this year where I wasn't logging everything, but do it! Log EVERYTHING! Especially the bad things as you can look back and say "was it worth the 5 minutes of enjoyment to have to then run for 30 minutes to get rid of it".
    Ideally exercise would be easy and we would all find being healthy easy, but then we wouldn't need MFP then would we!
    If this seems brutal, I apologise, but I had to be brutal with myself to get back into a regime and get myself on the right path again. Hope you can find some motivation in these words.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Find a goal and a visible reminder, to keep you going.
    Mine was a dress I loved that my sister had given me for my 40th birthday; I wanted to wear it in my 60th.
    It hung opposite the bed for a year and I saw it every morning when I woke up. It made me walk through the field in the dark and snow in the winter to get to the rec centre, go out and walk miles in the rain, and count my calories.
    When the year was up the dress fit me better than it had when I was 40!
    I wore it for my 60th and it still fits great 18 monthe later.
    Only you can motivate yourself, find your inspiration and everything will fall into place.
    Cheers, h.
  • iamadreamer2
    Options
    Part of motivation is to find what gets you going, why are you trying to lose weight, how far to that goal and what is stopping you. These are the questions you need to ask yourself and if the answer to the last question is "it is too dark" then get some lights, get some hi-vis gear and get out there.
    I'm not confident in my body, I lied in a half hearted attempt on MFP for a couple of months this year where I wasn't logging everything, but do it! Log EVERYTHING! Especially the bad things as you can look back and say "was it worth the 5 minutes of enjoyment to have to then run for 30 minutes to get rid of it".
    Ideally exercise would be easy and we would all find being healthy easy, but then we wouldn't need MFP then would we!
    If this seems brutal, I apologise, but I had to be brutal with myself to get back into a regime and get myself on the right path again. Hope you can find some motivation in these words.

It's not brutal, it is honest! It is true that I need to hold myself accountable and it is easier (at least for me) if I have a group of people I have to "report" to. Of course, I do it for myself to be healthier and to feel more confident but it is also not an easy task when things chaotic. Thank you for the advice and I certainly think that logging that 100g of Ritter Sport I have been eating almost daily will make me feel like I need to stop!
  • Ferrous_Female_Dog
    Ferrous_Female_Dog Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    What kind of motivation works for you? Now, I'm not asking which you like the best, but which gives you results.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    You can friend me if you like. I also recommend opening up your food diary. I find that if it would embarrass me to have my MFP friends see that I ate 10 cookies, I only eat 2. And don't think I won't look at your diary if you friend me. I like peepin what other people are eating. lol
  • iamadreamer2
    Options
    You can friend me if you like. I also recommend opening up your food diary. I find that if it would embarrass me to have my MFP friends see that I ate 10 cookies, I only eat 2. And don't think I won't look at your diary if you friend me. I like peepin what other people are eating. lol

I have added and you and made my food diary available!

Thanks for the support all! It certainly made a difference today even though I did go over my calorie count...trust me I was eating A LOT more.
  • iamadreamer2
    Options
    What kind of motivation works for you? Now, I'm not asking which you like the best, but which gives you results.

The kind of motivation that gives me results is the kind that reminds me that I need to keep on going. That highlights the good things I am doing...this way I continue to do them.
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Don’t be upset by the result you didn’t get with the work you didn’t do.
  • Faithhopenlove
    Faithhopenlove Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, the extra support always helps:-)
  • lauramegan28
    lauramegan28 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just recently quit smoking and joined this site to combat the dreaded weight gain. I have multiple huge changes and no results yet. I quit smoking (using Chantix) I quit caffeine completely actually all beverages completely only drinking water. I started walking for atleast 30 min every day and doing a rigorous work out 15 min about twice a week. Also cut down to 1200 or less calories per day. I think my body is just in shock its only been two weeks. But it is discourging to change so much and have no results. So I totally get needing motivation I also have two children at home which makes working out really hard. I just keep telling myself I want to be the hot mom. So I will stick with it even if I lose nothing I will be healthier in the long run. My weakness is sweets anything chocolate so I just don't buy it I tell my husband if he buys it he better be eating it on his way home or its going in the trash.
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Something that really clicked with me "It's not about motivation, it's about dedication."
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I've been afraid.
    I've been exhausted.
    I've wanted to quit more times than I remember.

I just never did.
  • yesidorun
    Options
    We can all use motivation :-) feel free to add me!
  • donnasinc
    donnasinc Posts: 114 Member
    Options

It's not brutal, it is honest! It is true that I need to hold myself accountable and it is easier (at least for me) if I have a group of people I have to "report" to. Of course, I do it for myself to be healthier and to feel more confident but it is also not an easy task when things chaotic. Thank you for the advice and I certainly think that logging that 100g of Ritter Sport I have been eating almost daily will make me feel like I need to stop!
    [/quote]

Sounds like you are walking towards the right thinking. Logging in daily and actually planning my daily food log in advance has helped me to keep to a plan. I have sort of used it like a grocery list in some ways.

I hear you on the dark factor. It is dark here now by 4:15 and I have no desire to jog so I really have to push myself to do that first thing in the morning. Yesterday I got distracted and did not achieve that goal but I decided around 8:30 at night that at least if I could get out and walk our dog up our hill that it would count for something. And yes, buy a head lamp. It is the best purchase I have made.

Add me if you like. I am also looking for support. We can all use it. :)

• oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I just posted some quotes on my profile that motivate me. I'm really stalled in my weight loss efforts and the encouragement of my friends on MFP really helps. Never give up! Please feel free to add me. We can all use more motivation, whether it's in the form of quotes, cheering someone on, or being frank about stumbles. It's all good!
  • iamadreamer2
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone! Just in these last couple of days I have been doing much better. I know its a struggle, I know that I have to be self-motivated and work hard but it is also important to find others that share the experience of the struggle and that is why I like MFP. Regardless of whether I should do this for myself, it is necessary to create a personal support group. This is the reason why people build communities, attend sporting events, and help others--we crave community, a shared experience. In terms of weight-loss and being healthier, it is rewarding to share and have a dialogue about one's experiences especially when someone is struggling at being healthy to begin with.
  • iamadreamer2
    Options
    And just to note my profile shows that I have lost 7.9 kg, however, I have lost overall 20 kg. It is a big deal, something that I accomplished with self-motivation but also because I was inspired by the stories that I read on this message board.