To weigh in or to not? That is the question.

Options
Tomorrow is the "WID" day. I've been going hard for the last 10 days. I'm very proud of myself for all the good choices I've made and the workouts I've gotten in. But I'm terrified of the scale. I'm thinking as of now I might not weigh in. I feel like I'm doing so well and I don't want to get discouraged if I don't see a lose that I want. However if I don't weigh in I wont know if what I've been doing is working. Any thoughts?

Replies

• annehdavis
    annehdavis Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I weigh in twice a day but know it is not what I should be doing. My hat is off to you for not weighing in for 10 days. I would like to break up with the scale until 2015. I think you will ultimately know what is right for you by tomorrow. Good luck and keep up the good work. It pays off.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    If you don't think you are mentally strong enough to see something you don't want to see (maybe a smaller loss than you were planning), wait it out. If a weigh in will derail your progress, don't do it.

If you lose the expectations (say.. 2 pounds a week, every week - that's not going to happen all the time!!), and just shoot for progress, then you may be happier with the scale results.

Just remember, for times that you aren't moving the way that you want - slow progress is still progress!
  • Plumbkinpie
    Options
    Personally I would weigh. You want to know if you've been logging accurately and if not it can be rectified before you make any more mistakes. I weigh once a day just because I HAVE to know! Just tell yourself whatever the result you're gonna take a step in the right direction and chances are, you're gonna be really pleased with yourself anyway! :)
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Weighing in no more than twice a month is awesome. Good Luck

29509743.png
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    This is totally a personal choice, no one "right" way works for everyone. I tend to weigh in daily when I am at home so I know what is going on.
  • rpsg0534
    Options
    Firstly, you have to recognize that the scale is not a perfect representation of the work that you are doing. It is only one metric and it does not show a linear progression of weight loss. Weighing in is an important part of my data collection, but even so, I do have to give myself a pep talk if the scale does not show the loss I would like. But, I am in this for the long haul. I have lost 50 pounds but I am looking to lose another 100. So I am not ready to give up. If the scale is moving in the right direction then I am heartened and I continue doing what is working. If it is not moving in the right direction (over a period of time) then I tweak what I am doing. I would also reiterate what kr1stadee said "slow progress is still progress!"

Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • barbz2119
    barbz2119 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If you are feeling good and don't need to know why bother if you feel it will discourage you. Do what feels good for you. I weigh every day, just habit but only log my weight once a week or when I remember.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people say you shouldn't weigh in daily because of daily weight fluctuations, but that is exactly why I do weigh in daily. Otherwise, it can be really discouraging if your weigh in day happens to be a heavy water weight day. I think it's helpful to weight daily, at the same time each day (I do it first thing after I get up and use the restroom) and then you can see your trend instead of just one point in time. Yes, I'm a bit of a stats geek, but as any stats geek will tell you, the more data points, the more accurate the information!

Also, someone on another thread posted a recommendation for a free app that actually shows you your weight loss trend. I just tried it and love it! It's called Libra.

Good luck!
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I was doing weekly weigh-ins and dreading it. I decided to weigh daily with no expectations and it has completely eliminated the anxiety and most of the frustration. I try to do it at the same time every morning. If I see 2-3 days of a similar number I will log it. I have been very consistent so I know any increases are just water weight. I have a good caloric deficit every day so I know I am losing. And I can look in the mirror and see it.

Just a tip, I drink a gallon of water a day. I pretty much hate it but do it anyway. I have noticed much less weight fluctuations when my water intake is consistent.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people say you shouldn't weigh in daily because of daily weight fluctuations, but that is exactly why I do weigh in daily. Otherwise, it can be really discouraging if your weigh in day happens to be a heavy water weight day. I think it's helpful to weight daily, at the same time each day (I do it first thing after I get up and use the restroom) and then you can see your trend instead of just one point in time. Yes, I'm a bit of a stats geek, but as any stats geek will tell you, the more data points, the more accurate the information!

Also, someone on another thread posted a recommendation for a free app that actually shows you your weight loss trend. I just tried it and love it! It's called Libra.

Good luck!

+1

The more I weigh in, the less the individual number effects me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

This is me too.

OP, I think you need to know yourself. If you are confident you are on a good track and want to make sure that gets firmly established before you deal with the scale, I think that works for some. My first couple of weeks I didn't weigh myself (at all, I didn't have a starting weight), because I was afraid the number would be so discouraging and only after I had a plan and had convinced myself I could execute it did I decide to deal with the bad news (which is silly because of course I looked the same and my health was the same with or without the number).

However, for me it has always been ultimately necessary and important to know the number and be able to monitor it (without taking it as the be-all for success or health). I don't know why that is--maybe because I'm a numbers geek, but also because it's about taking ownership of it, not allowing myself to be in denial or think that it's all so long term it doesn't matter. And seeing the number go down is motivating. I know one year I lost a good bit of weight (based on clothes) and was working out a lot, but could not get the courage to weigh myself, and I think not seeing the specific numbers was part of why it was much easier for me to fall out of my plan that time than I have this time.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    The number on the scale is just information. It doesn't mean you are not making progress or are unhealthy. Just establishing better eating habits or routine exercise is progress to a healthier life.
    I personally would weigh in on my planned date. I would want to kick the emotional habit of being afraid of the scale and giving it too much importance.
    I weigh once a week, record it and move on. I can't weigh daily like some people because I get negatively obsessed but once a week is just right for me. You might be a person who is better off waiting longer or you might be a person who is better off weighing more frequently.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I never get on a scale!!! I find that I sabotage myself if I don't see that loss that I was expecting or worse yet if I have a gain. I use how my clothes fit to determine how I am doing. Try weighing once a month and see if that works for you.
  • kufahlaatc123
    kufahlaatc123 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your feed back. I am a freak about the scale. I used to weigh myself daily, some times twice a day (or even after using the bathroom.) It got to the point that the scale was running my life. I would do great and then not see results so I would back slide and self sabotage. If the number went up I would be mad at myself or I would be in a mood that whole day or sometimes even for weeks. It has been very hard to not get on the scale (it helped that my husband hid it from me.) I am terrified of what is going to show tomorrow. I am proud of the steps I've taken these last two weeks. I feel like I'm finally back on track. I don't want to lose that feeling because of a number.

However on the other hand I need to know what that number is so that if I am doing something incorrectly I can change it before it takes affect on the scale or in my clothes. The first time I lost weight I worked Weight Watchers program religiously. I haven't had much luck with calorie counting. I find it confusing at times. So I am afraid that I might not be doing it right. I know it is a matter of calories in verses calories out. However the data base has so many choices that fluctuation in calories that I worry I'm not picking correctly.

I hope I'll be able to face the scale tomorrow and be accepting of whatever it shows.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It's a personal decision when to weigh or not. For me, I hated weighing only once per week on a set day; a lot of those times I wouldnt see a loss but the next day would weigh (out of curiosity) and see like a 4 pound loss. I started weighing myself every day in the morning after waking up and going to the bathroom. It has helped to see what makes me bloated and how different eating days affect me. I don't record every single day but record only when I see a loss and it sticks for a while so I know it's not just a fluctuation. But it doesn't seem like the scale is important to you and you are more concerned with how you've been eating and being healthier, which is great! I would weigh if you know you can be strong and keep going with good habits even if you don't see a loss. Good luck!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    If you're stressing about the scale, how about take measurements and a selfie instead. I know it sounds lame, but I take a selfie every Saturday - standing in the same exact spot and wearing similar clothes and I'm amazed at the results.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    +1 to the daily weighers, but its a personal choice. The benefit of having up to date information and not worrying or having it prey in my mind is a reason for me weighing as often as I feel like.

Back to your OP, then I would weigh. You have a distance to go and youd like to know the effect of what you have done thus far. It looks like just the start for you so if its working carry on. If you are losing less, then reassess and think why. Its preferable imo to find out now.

Warning its only ten days, so be patient. Numbers at the beginning dont tend to be representaive.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    This is possibly the easiest question ever asked here. If you don't want to weigh in, don't weigh in!

You don't need a scale to lose. The weight and your body will be the same whether you hop on or not.

I lost forty pounds with no scale. Then I got one and for the longest time, I was on that thing multiple times a day, obsessively checking out differences, figuring out stupid, unimportant stuff that I wanted to know.

Now I'm on every morning. I do like the lines on the graphs, though.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options

Good luck!

This is exactly what I do. I plug all my numbers into excel and run trends on it. The fluctuations don't bother me and didn't while I was losing either, because I could see the longer term. The first 3 months I approached as a data-gathering exercise.

• kufahlaatc123
    kufahlaatc123 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    faced the scale this morning 4.2 yeah.