Dancing!

Options
Dancing - most people love it.

One of my fitness goals is to get back into dancing shape- which means dropping pounds, toning up, and getting my butt back into to class.

Looking for other lovely pals who are interested in, obsessed with, and/ or can't live without...dancing.

What are you favorite kinds of dances?
And how do you deal with some of the aches and pains that come with it?

Thanks lovelies, and feel free to add!

Replies

• adesaracho
    adesaracho Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love it! My birthday is this Thursday and I'm getting myself a membership to this Dance studio that has a ton of adult fitness classes! I'm super excited!
  • scaryfairy81
    Options
    I do Zumba a few times a week and love it. But I can't stress enough to wear proper shoes!! The gym where I go has low carpet(!!) in the room where they have classes until they finish remodeling and I made the mistake of wearing higher tread brand new Nike walking/running shoes, and last Tuesday I slid and pivoted wrong and ended up folding my foot and twisting my ankle. Without the right shoes, it can also be really hard on your knees. But it's fun and a great workout as long as you do it right!
  • phoenixsxflight
    phoenixsxflight Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I go to a studio like that around here.
    What kind of dancing are you most excited about?

I really want to get into modern, but in the mean time I'm working on my technique and doing lots of jazz.

I took a Tahitian class recently too and that was SO much fun and I swear muscles I didn't even know that I had were sore.
  • phoenixsxflight
    phoenixsxflight Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    @scaryfairy81

I feel like I'm always trying to guess what type of shoes I should be wearing since I don't own any footzies (sp?).

I'm usually dancing on hardwood so socks are out. And barefoot usually sucks.
    How is it that you turned your ankle when you had your running shoes on?
  • scaryfairy81
    Options
    They recommend really low tread shoes for Zumba so you can slide and pivot easier without twisting your ankles and knees. I guess Nike actually makes Zumba-specific shoes now! Plus you can order them through the official Zumba website too I think. But I didn't want to buy separate shoes when I first started going to classes. I did wear Adidas Sambas once and the instructor said indoor soccer type shoes are actually a really good choice! It's really hard to pivot your feet on carpet while wearing running shoes, I had been told that for 2 months lol, and had to end up learning it for myself the hard way! I did Zumba on the Wii at home and tried it barefoot because my shoes made the rug slide all over the hard floor but my knees couldn't take it.
    @scaryfairy81

I feel like I'm always trying to guess what type of shoes I should be wearing since I don't own any footzies (sp?).

I'm usually dancing on hardwood so socks are out. And barefoot usually sucks.
    How is it that you turned your ankle when you had your running shoes on?