Atorvastatin/Lipitor and increased appetite?

Options
Is anyone else here taking statins for high cholesterol and triglycerides? My liver cranks 'em out like there's no tomorrow. So this week I started on 10 mg Atorvastatin and I notice that my appetite has gone up a lot. Since I'm female I don't know if this is hormonal (I'm menopausing, so it's unpredictable) or if it is a medication side effect. I have been feeding the excess hunger with vegetables so as not to ruin my total calorie count for the day. I'm already so close to goal that the weight loss is at a snail's pace.

Can anyone share their experiences taking a statin drug, and any effects on appetite and weight especially? Thanks guys.

Replies

• osothefinn
    osothefinn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I noticed that a little , but within 7 days of starting atorvastatin I ended up in the ER with premature ventricular contractions, so I stopped taking it (no more PVCs since). Ended up dropping my numbers into the normal range with exercise. Good luck.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    It does seem like a med where you really have to be super vigilant. My cholesterol was freakishly high and did not respond to workouts, modified diet, or natural remedies, so after ten years of trying everything I caved in and said I would try the statin. I've been checking my blood sugar every evening with my glucometer because increased blood sugar is a possible problem. My dad takes it too and has noticed only minor muscle soreness. This is going to be an "adventure" I'm afraid. lol
  • gothchiq
    Options
    *bump* help help? Please?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Never heard anyone complain about that.

Just watch for the warning signs they give you because in rare cases, it can cause some serious problems. Not likely! But it happens once in a blue moon.

http://www.lipitor.com/side-effects
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You should contact the pharmacist.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I had an increased appetite while I took Lipitor, because this was before my weight loss (and unfortunately somewhat of a gain) journey. I quit taking it cold turkey because of the leg cramps I had. I felt better within a week. Of course, my cholesterol went high. Once I had lost the weight, it was in normal ranges, but now that I've gained some back, it is high once again. I refuse, however, to take a cholesterol medicine, because of the leg cramps. I have them bad enough without adding to them with medication.
    I do take fish oil supplements at my doctor's suggestion, and they have been helping with the cholesterol levels. I just know I need to lose the weight I regained (or a good portion of it). I was probably too thin at my lowest.
  • gothchiq
    Options
    Okay, problem over. It went back away after a few days. So far no muscle problems.... if I can just stay on this low dose, it seems all right. If they bump it up tho I expect I may see some issues because just about everyone does as far as I can tell! Thank u all for the responses.