What's the point?

Options
I'm currently feeling like this. I'm 5'2 and weigh 60.3kg. I want to get down to 53kg, but I kind of feel like there's no point in it. Mainly because I want my bodyshape to change, but obviously it never will.

I'm an apple and store most of my fat in my stomach. While the rest of my body is PERFECT right now, my tummy is still very rounded. It's getting smaller, but not changing shape or becoming less rounded. I know it won't. Because that's the way I am, it's the way I've always been since I was a little kid.

So I'm feeling like, what's the point in losing more weight when I know I will still look the same and just be a smaller version? My clothes all fit again, but somehow I'm still hoping it will change if I lose more, yet it has never changed in my 21 years of life. It was the same even before I got chubby. Any thoughts? :|

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Lift weights...
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Just keep going anyways - maybe you'll surprise yourself and change more than you think. Also, carrying weight around the mid section is one of the worst places to carry it (in terms of health) - so it can only help you health wise to work on that, even if it doesn't appease you visually. I'd bet that once you get closer to your goal you'll be surprised at the changes in both your appearance and how you feel overall.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Oh...I don't know...maybe being healthy is pretty important and all....

Maybe the "point" goes beyond superficial *kitten*....
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    I agree that it's also about health. In terms of that I'm already at a good weight. Which is probably why I'm having these thoughts. I'm not overweight anymore. This goal is only for vanity's sake. I guess I'm not as motivated to do it anymore because of that. I'm technically out of "danger" already.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    i found my shape started to change as i started lifting heavier weights. My waist went in and my hips and bust stayed the same. Turned me into a perfect hourglass. Get weight lifting - if anything will change your shape, that will
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    As someone who believed I would be an out-of-proportion pear shape my entire life, I say, just keep going! Yes, add weight lifting. It's amazing how much you can change your body that way. I did and now I no longer have disproportionately large thighs and hips. Never thought it would or could happen, but it did. (not that there's anything wrong with being a pear shape; I personally just wanted a different figured)
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options
    It WILL change. I was a pear shape. But, since I have reached goal my hips and thighs have become smaller... smaller than when I was your age! Which was a looong time ago. :) Don't give up, keep going. But more than doing it for how you look, do it for your good health. It's not good as Deena-Bean said to have fat around the mid-section. Exercise, strength training and aerobics will change your physique. Believe! :D
  • stevesilk
    stevesilk Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You can make a positive change in your shape, but if you are convinced you never will see the change, it won't happen...becuase you won't let it. You'll never be 6'2", but you can change your "round" stomach. You said in your post that YOU ALREADY HAVE SEEN A CHANGE there. Having said that, weight is a misnomer. I can be 86 kg and in great shape, or I can be 86 kg and be in poor shape. My perspective is that I'm not done. While I don't want to weigh more, I do want to change the COMPOSITION of the weight that's there, and that's totally on me. I get to impact that result every day I wake up. if you're OK with the way you are because you're feeling good about yourself, congratulations. You shouldn't have to look like someone else to be "OK". But you don't have to settle for a second best you.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to change, then don't.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'll second or third the strength training suggestion. Continuing to lose weight would lead to even thinner legs, etc. along with the stomach shrinking. Instead, focus on reducing body fat and gaining strength. I think you'll be surprised at how much of a difference that will make in how you look and feel.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Why? Good health and longer life.
  • yoovie
    Options
    oldmomma wrote: »

sadly, that's not much of a carrot for a lot of people.

It needs to be something like... you'll be THIS HOT by June if you follow THIS DIET every 5 days.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »

It needs to be something like... you'll be THIS HOT by June if you follow THIS DIET every 5 days.

You bumped a thread from an OP who already decided to make the chances for the right reason.

• yoovie
    edited December 2014
    Options

You bumped a thread from an OP who already decided to make the chances for the right reason.

NO, i responded to a thread that is always relevant on MFP to new users, because I came across it on page 6, searching for something different. Then I responded to another user on this thread, which you quoted.

If she did change her mind and do something for the right reasons, she didn't post it here. And I didn't tell her that her reasons were wrong or right, i only told her that she doesnt have to do anything that she doesn't want to do yet.

And since many people use forums by searching for the topics they want to read (instead of always making a brand new one just for themselves) my responses aren't just for the OP - they are also for those that read and don't comment.

You bumped a thread for no reason other than to tell me to shut up.

How am I the jerk?

• habeebz921
    habeebz921 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I understand what you mean since I have the same type of body shape and have been the same my whole life; sometimes you feel great, then others your body looks so out of shape and sagged out. It's the 'skinny fat' problem and from what I've read, it's serious exercise that combats it.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options

NO, i responded to a thread that is always relevant on MFP to new users, because I came across it on page 6, searching for something different. Then I responded to another user on this thread, which you quoted.

If she did change her mind and do something for the right reasons, she didn't post it here. And I didn't tell her that her reasons were wrong or right, i only told her that she doesnt have to do anything that she doesn't want to do yet.

And since many people use forums by searching for the topics they want to read (instead of always making a brand new one just for themselves) my responses aren't just for the OP - they are also for those that read and don't comment.

You bumped a thread for no reason other than to tell me to shut up.

How am I the jerk?

Quote me on where I called you a jerk.

kthnxbai
  • librarydebster
    librarydebster Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Never give up on yourself. I have had large stocky calves and shins for years. Now that I have lost a lot of weight I can definitely see and feel the difference in my legs. They truly are resculpted, and will change more. I thought I was doomed to have large lower legs. It doesn't matter what gimmicky term they use to describe bodies - we can change!
  • GoingSlightlyMad
    GoingSlightlyMad Posts: 190 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    If you have an apple body, you tend to store fat mostly around your vital organs - that is the most dangerous kind of fat. There you have a pretty good point to keep it up with the weight loss.

While it is true that you can't change your genes, you can lift weights to give your body the shape you want.

Just keep going. :)
  • sensitivefool
    sensitivefool Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You say you won't then you won't.
    You say you will then you will.
    Maybe the point isn't to look better.
    Maybe the point is to believe in yourself.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    While I agree that your weight is reasonable, if you kept losing weight, eventually you would lose fat from your stomach. Or as people have pointed out by lifting weights you could recomp your body. (Stay the same weight, but change the your body composition so you a higher % of that weight comes from muscle instead of fat) But it's up to you. If you want to work hard, you can change, if you are content, you can maintain. But it doesn't sound like you are content, just weary and without hope. You might do a search through old thread for lifting result pictures. It might give you hope and motivate you to keep going