Walking Points Question

Options
I just started and my Iphone tracks my steps and recalculates my calories, do you really go off of that amount or should you stick with the 1200 calories regardless?

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It depends on you. If you have your activity level set to sedentary you could certainly eat some of the extra calories you earn from your daily movement but there's really nothing that says you have to. MFP already builds in the deficit you need to lose weight at your goal rate so those extra calories will keep you at the set deficit.

For those who have a lot to lose, and don't get more hungry from the exercise, not eating the extra calories should have no effect. It seems to get more important to eat them back the less weight you have to lose but your mileage may vary.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    stay 1300-1400 calories and you should be fine. walking yourself thin can happen

29509743.png
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'll second SueInAZ's comment, but if you choose to eat back your exercise calories, I would encourage you to not eat !00% of them. Remember; the calories you burn and the calories you eat are all based on estimates - there's a lot of room for error baked into each input. Eating between 50% - 80% of your exercise calories helps to ensure the aggregate errors don't inadvertently put you over your daily goal.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    If it's a lot of calories you can eat back some of those calories. Otherwise you might be eating way under your weight loss cal goal too much.

Unless you are doing the TDEE method in which your workouts should have already been accounted for.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    1200 Net is as low as MFP will go (it's a default). So you don't need to worry about eating some of your walking calories back while still losing weight. You have room.

Logging steps as exercise in MFP has it's problems though. Sedentary people take steps....so MFP already includes some calories for steps. If you log 100% of your steps there will be some double counting. Walking briskly burns more calories than walking slowly....so there's the issue of how fast your steps are. Purposeful walking that raises your heart rate is best measured with a heart rate monitor. I only log purposeful walking.

Find a balance that you can sustain. I couldn't stick with 1200, plus I'm closer to goal and a large deficit doesn't support lean muscle efficiently (over 50 and can't afford to lose more muscle).
  • TinaLynn155
    TinaLynn155 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    It depends on you. If you have your activity level set to sedentary you could certainly eat some of the extra calories you earn from your daily movement but there's really nothing that says you have to. MFP already builds in the deficit you need to lose weight at your goal rate so those extra calories will keep you at the set deficit.

For those who have a lot to lose, and don't get more hungry from the exercise, not eating the extra calories should have no effect. It seems to get more important to eat them back the less weight you have to lose but your mileage may vary.

That's not right

MFP gives you a calorie allowance without any exercise for your goal loss

If you exercise then you are supposed to eat back those calories so that you eat the calories set

So if you have 1300 calories and burn an extra 300 walking then you should eat them to ensure that you're netting the right amount

Alternatively if you follow a cut on TDEE plan this advice is spot on because exercise / movement is built in