Strength training/toning

Options
I'm adding strength training to my repertoire so I can tone up while losing the weight. :) Is this a good regimen?

Monday - Brisk 25-30 minute walk, 20 minutes of high impact aerobics, strength training
Tuesday - Brisk 25-30 minute walk, house work
Wednesday - Brisk 25-30 minute walk, 20 minutes of high impact aerobics, strength training
Thursday - Brisk 25-30 minute walk, house work
Friday - Brisk 25-30 minute walk, 20 minutes of high impact aerobics, strength training

Also, what kind of strength exercises should I do an for how long?

Replies

• Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    only way to "tone" is to lower your body fat % :] just so ya know :D

so what you want to do is build, so when you strength train do HIGH weight at LOW reps
    so like a rep of 6-8 at high weight :] about 3 sets
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    I get my strength training work out from freetrainers.com
    I dont mess with any thing else on there lol just the fitness profile part...it will lay out the whole thing for you once you answer just a few question...totally awesome.
    And it does the low reps high weight to help you build!
  • miriamcpweg
    miriamcpweg Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I used to do lots of cardio and then some weight training as you have scheduled, but now I made my workouts into circuits, If you can do cardio and strength together why not right? Circuit training gives you a great burn as well as helps tone your body :)
  • atabt
    atabt Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    In response to the previous post, I think you can "tone" your muscles i.e. build and strengthen them. But yes, your body would appear more toned by losing body fat. And by increasing muscle mass you make your body more efficient at burning calories since the more muscle you have the more calories your body will burn, even when you are resting.

I think your exercise regime looks very manageable! Kudos to you for taking this next step :o)

Someone recently suggested that exercise bands are an inexpensive yet effective way to get in your strength training. I have some small hand weights but I travel a lot and so I'm going to get some bands since they are easy to pack. That way I won't "fall off the wagon" whenever I go away. I also recently started working out to the 30 Day Shred (by Jillian Michaels from the Biggest Loser). It's a 20 minute workout that combines strength training, cardio and ab work. There are three workouts (easier, harder, hardest). I like that it's 20 minutes and she definitely gives a good workout. I'm on the first level(day 5) but as I get more fit I can move to the next level.

Anyway, congratulations on your 19 lbs lost and best of luck to you on your journey!

Cheers
  • frenchfri87
    frenchfri87 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Are you working out in a gym? If not what sort of equiptment do you have access to?

Bodyweight exercises can be very effective. Squats, lunges, planks, pushups, pullups are some excellent basics.
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Are you working out in a gym? If not what sort of equiptment do you have access to?

Bodyweight exercises can be very effective. Squats, lunges, planks, pushups, pullups are some excellent basics.

No, at home. I really do not need to work on toning my legs, as my brisk walk and aerobics do plenty in that area for me. :) I have 2 8 lb weights that I want to incorporate.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    In response to the previous post, I think you can "tone" your muscles i.e. build and strengthen them. But yes, your body would appear more toned by losing body fat. And by increasing muscle mass you make your body more efficient at burning calories since the more muscle you have the more calories your body will burn, even when you are resting.

to get the "tone " look you have to lower body fat % strengthening your muscles while not losing the fat will not make you look tone.

there is no way to "tone" a muscle. You either build, increase glycogen, or lose it.

common mistake among people, women especially.
    Thinking they will "tone" or "shape" a muscle by doing endless reps at low weight without a tiny bit of struggle
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options

to get the "tone " look you have to lower body fat % strengthening your muscles while not losing the fat will not make you look tone.

there is no way to "tone" a muscle. You either build, increase glycogen, or lose it.

common mistake among people, women especially.
    Thinking they will "tone" or "shape" a muscle by doing endless reps at low weight without a tiny bit of struggle

I don't plan on doing a little bit of strength training every other day without any struggle and think I did something, lol. Maybe tone was the wrong word to use?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    You might want to consider putting the strength training before the intense cardio. The lighter cardio would be a good warm-up for the strength training, but if you do strength training correctly helps to be fresh. Some also claim you will burn more fat because you have depleted the glycogen stores in your muscles by the strength training. As mentioned above body weight exercises will work well and require little to no equipment. Add an exercise ball and may rig up a suspension system with nylon dog leashes see here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAowF2K0qrs for other body weight options.