Women: Anybody else refuse to weigh in during their period?

I know there's such thing as bloating and water weight. But does that actually make a difference on the scale or is this in my head?

Replies

• weightlosstrainer
    weightlosstrainer Posts: 21 Member
    As a trainer, I often end up knowing my clients "cycle" because they will often gain up to 10lbs of water retention starting a week before their cycle begins. It is not in your head, weight gain is common during that time of the month, just know that it is not permanent and stay well hydrated.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    I weigh daily - shark week or no. And yes, it does absolutely change your weight. Mine is usually just a few pounds up, but for some it's a lot higher.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    I've never experienced my period making a big difference on the scale.
    imo its an excuse/myth, whatever you want to call it. =)
  • beamer0821
    10lbs? come on...
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    beamer0821 wrote: »

giphy.gif
  • weightlosstrainer
    As a trainer, I often end up knowing my clients "cycle" because they will often gain up to 10lbs of water retention starting a week before their cycle begins. It is not in your head, weight gain is common during that time of the month, just know that it is not permanent and stay well hydrated.

Ahh! Praise baby jesus! I've been feeling somewhat discouraged.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member

Everyone's different. I only gain two pounds right before TOM, but others can easily gain 5-10.
  • beamer0821
    i guess i should qualify big difference. i can accept 2 lbs or less. I'm just not buying 10lbs sorry. i know that will drive people bananas that i can't quite possibly fathom 10lbs but its true i can't. lol
  • I certainly don't think i'm up 5-10 pounds.. Like Weightlosstrainer said, it totally varies. If i'm up 2-3 lbs from my actual weight, I will be ecstatic! I have SUCH a hard time dropping pounds with a thyroid condition.
  • LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member

Well, lucky you. Many women (including myself) experience a lot of water retention around that time. My gain is around 6 lbs. It happens *every* month and is definitely not a "myth" or "excuse" (especially since it usually goes back down 3 days after my cycles starts..)
  • LuckyMunky wrote: »

Well, lucky you. Many women (including myself) experience a lot of water retention around that time. My gain is around 6 lbs. It happens *every* month and is definitely not a "myth" or "excuse" (especially since it usually goes back down 3 days after my cycles starts..)

Do you completely lose the 6 lbs?
  • beamer0821
    sounds like you are lucky too if it comes off and right back to normal 3 days after cycle.
  • LuckyMunky
    It's not luck, it's biology. And yes, I completely lose the 6 lbs. It is definitely water weight (it comes with the bloat!)
  • beamer0821
    LuckyMunky wrote: »

Well, lucky you.

arent I just biology too then? and not lucky?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member

Just like everything else in life, this will vary from person to person, depending on their diet, exercise, hormones and current medication.

Dismissing something simply because you've never personally experienced it is ridiculous.
  • LuckyMunky
    edited November 2014

arent I just biology too then? and not lucky?

Huh? My body is most certainly different from yours. If you don't gain much during your cycle, that's just your own body doing it's own thing. Just like my gain - and loss- is my own thing.
  • bdenitto
    bdenitto Posts: 210 Member
    My weight goes up for that week, 1-5 pounds and then I immediately drop that plus what I would have lost for the week. I skip the weigh in that week because I know it is going to be off. It seems to be different for every woman.
  • beamer0821

Just like everything else in life, this will vary from person to person, depending on their diet, exercise, hormones and current medication.

Dismissing something simply because you've never personally experienced it is ridiculous.

yes there are factors that shift water around I'm with you in that. but we aren't talking about hormones, medications, diet, etc. cause all those things are factors without the period.

I'm strictly speaking to the effect of weight gain caused by period.
    and if you are losing the same amount you gained because of your period than its a non issue anyways...

• LuckyMunky

yes there are factors that shift water around I'm with you in that. but we aren't talking about hormones, medications, diet, etc. cause all those things are factors without the period.

I'm strictly speaking to the effect of weight gain caused by period.
    and if you are losing the same amount you gained because of your period than its a non issue anyways...

Uh.. your period is controlled by your hormones.. so yes, it is a hormonal fluctuation.
  • beamer0821
    uh...hormones fluctuate throughout the month not just during your period my friend.