Calories burned for 30min gym session with a trainer

Options
A mix of cardio and strength?

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Are you asking how many calories you burned? There's no real way of knowing.
  • NateMcG76
    NateMcG76 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many variables... If you give a lot more info on the details (your weight, age, exercises done, weights, sets, reps, intensity level, type of cardio...) someone might give you a range of calories you may have burned but that's about it. Tough one to guess. Good luck to you!
  • kingjethro
    kingjethro Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Get a good heart monitor that estimates calorie burn and allows you to put in variables such as your fitness level, age, weight, etc. Even then, it's only directionally correct. (By the way, never trust the calorie estimates on cardio equipment in the gym. For many people, the estimates are way off, often on the high end.)
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I use my hrm
  • srobertking
    srobertking Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The best estimator I've found for those type of situations is to use a heart rate monitor. If you want MFP to give you a quick estimate go to the cardio section in the exercise part of your diary and add 30 minutes of circuit training. It won't be perfect but it will give you a ballpark.
  • djprice_69
    djprice_69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Use a heart-rate monitor like an inexpensive Polar FT7 or something similar. As others have said there are a LOT of variables, but a decent HRM should at least give you a relatively accurate estimate.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site.

When I log my workouts, I log the cardio by minutes performed BUT I only log 50% if using MFP numbers because it seriously overestimates the burn. e.g. If it's 20 minutes on the treadmill, I'd log it as 10.

I personally don't log strength training towards my calorie burn. Unless you're spending hours in the gym or have so little rest between sets that it IS a cardio workout, then the caloric burn is minimal.

• eatmindfully
    eatmindfully Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think I might log that under circuit training?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    zarckon wrote: »
    Welcome to the site.

When I log my workouts, I log the cardio by minutes performed BUT I only log 50% if using MFP numbers because it seriously overestimates the burn. e.g. If it's 20 minutes on the treadmill, I'd log it as 10.

I personally don't log strength training towards my calorie burn. Unless you're spending hours in the gym or have so little rest between sets that it IS a cardio workout, then the caloric burn is minimal.

Yep.

People are suggesting using a HRM, but those are only accurate for steady-state cardio like running, walking, biking, or swimming. Certainly not for anything with intervals, and definitely not strength training.
  • philwrightfitness
    Options
    The only rough estimate that has any scientific basis is: two sets lasting approximately 45 seconds each will deplete around 5g of carb , if you assume 4 calories per gram that's 20 calories per 2 - 45 second sets . Anecdotally using an hrm , a work out usually nets me 100 to 150 calories, which is not far off the predicted value. If your sets are shorter or longer than 45 secs just pro rata the value.