Not losing weight- Stuck in a plateau and losing motivation

Options
Ive been stuck at 158-160lbs for 4 MONTHS. Nothing has budged. I've been eating 1400-1600 calories a day (my TDEE is like 2100 and my BMR is 1400).
Ive done the 30 Day Shred and nothing happened. No weight loss, nothing. I also have a thyroid disease (Hashimoto's) that makes my metabolism slower anyway, but I REFUSE to believe this is the lowest weight I can achieve. I eat 90% clean and work out 5 days then take a rest day (so it ends up being about 6 days a week). I started this journey at 220 (I'm 5'2") and I'm so happy, but I want to go all the way. But nothing is happening and I'm starting to get discouraged.
HELP? Do I need to up my calories or something??

Replies

• dragongummy
    dragongummy Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I would bet you are eating too much or logging too many calories in exercise

refocus on weighing and logging everything

speak to the doctor - unfortunately the thyroid disorder could make it more difficult to lose
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    re-adjust your intake, and make sure it's accurate.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary? Additionally, are you weighing and measuring your food?
  • dragongummy
    Options
    I havent been up to date on here as far as my diary goes. I guess I'll have to start doing that again. And Im not weighing my food or measuring, but I'm very good about portion control. I feel like since my BMR is 1450, I should be eating maybe 1500-1700 calories instead. It's just so difficult since it takes weeks to notice if a calorie intake change is working.
  • monicabroadbentswearingen
    Options
    Have you tried eating your minimal calories per day and not eating your exercise earned calories. Also all that exercise you must have a lot more muscle. Which I am sure you realize weights more than fat. Also maybe step back on the exercise a little, I know that sounds crazy but your body has probably became complacent with what you are doing. It needs something different. 4 months is a long time been their done that. Hope this helps let me know what you decided to do and if it helps.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Have you tried eating your minimal calories per day and not eating your exercise earned calories. Also all that exercise you must have a lot more muscle. Which I am sure you realize weights more than fat. Also maybe step back on the exercise a little, I know that sounds crazy but your body has probably became complacent with what you are doing. It needs something different. 4 months is a long time been their done that. Hope this helps let me know what you decided to do and if it helps.
    Monica, I know you mean well but that is not right, the OP is not accurately counting her calories. She is at a standstill because she is eating at maintenance.
  • dragongummy
    Options
    Ive never tried not eating back exercise calories, but im willing to give anything a shot. Thank you. :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I havent been up to date on here as far as my diary goes. I guess I'll have to start doing that again. And Im not weighing my food or measuring, but I'm very good about portion control. I feel like since my BMR is 1450, I should be eating maybe 1500-1700 calories instead. It's just so difficult since it takes weeks to notice if a calorie intake change is working.

Your problem is since you aren't logging, you have no clue how much you eat. And since the average person under reports their intake, you are probably eating a lot more than you think. Use a food scale and log all your calories every day.
  • dragongummy
    Options
    ^ I dont know what I was thinking. That I could magically log calories in my head (ignorance, I know). I hope it gets better with logging. Cause I'm not sure what else to do. But I will start today!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

yep

No you're not. You're eating too much
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I hate to think how this thread will end up in a few hrs with words like 'clean eating' and 'plateau' mentioned lol.

But anyway I think just start weighing and measuring your food again, log it accurately and you'll do okay. Eat back most of your exercise calories too to fuel your workouts. Best of luck x
  • monicabroadbentswearingen
    Options
    Did not realize you where not tracking food intake. That is the most important thing you can do, or how do you really know how many calories you are taking in. When you stop logging u just set yourself up for failure. Get back to logging I bet with in no time the weight will start coming off. Success is in the accuracy of cal. + exercise. Wish you luck
  • dragongummy
    Options
    Thanks guys. I love that you're all like, "Yep, that there is the problem." I love it. Love that. Will adjust and track again and keep on trucking!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I was not only not losing, but I would have huge water weight gains although I was sticking to 1200 calories a day and exercising . I backed off on cardio. I love cardio and was doing up to 2 hours a day. I have been reading so much about excess cortisol from over exercise. So, I cut back to 45 minutes a day, made not other changes and have lost and have lost 4 pounds in the past 3 weeks. Don't know for sure if it was just time and a whoosh, but I'm trying to stick to the 45 minute or so cardio workouts.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options

Bingo! How in the world do you know you are eating that much then? I weigh less than you, same height, and am losing on 1400 a day at this point (I'm down 40 pounds). I WEIGH MEASURE AND LOG EVERYTHING. I have no thyroid conditions either. It stands to reason that since you DO, you need to be more diligent.
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    You gotta log. I plan everything I'm going to eat the day before and it really helps.
  • missbirrell
    Options
    - Log everything.
    - Try lowering your calories, try upping your calories.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yeah, OP, you kind of answered your own problem just by stating you log. I DO log and have not lost weight because I'm obviously still eating too much. If you're not logging, you don't have as good of an idea as you think you do.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Your problem is since you aren't logging, you have no clue how much you eat. And since the average person under reports their intake, you are probably eating a lot more than you think. Use a food scale and log all your calories every day.

This.