My strategy for tracking exercise

Options
indianwin2001
indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
edited November 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
Can anyone see any flaws in my strategy. I am in maintenance now and am changing some things. I have a 2 Garmin HRM's. One is the Garmin15 which is also an activity tracker and the other is a Garmin 220. Here is my routine.. I lift heavy weights 5 or 6 days a week for 1 hour. I than do 30 minutes of ab work--This is done in a gym--I report that as burning 150 calories (purposely under-reporting.) I wear the Garmin 15 to record my steps while I do everything--I don't use it as a HRM. Later at night I do 30-45 minutes of treadmill or outside walk/runs or steady-state walking depending on the day. I alternate these. For that, I take off my Garmin activity tracker and use the Garmin 220 HRM,so I don't get double-counts. I link all of this into MFP. Does anyone see any flaws with this strategy?--Thanks for your input--I appreciate it.

Replies

• longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Why do you need the 220? isn't the 15 a gps watch too? the 220 is cool, but seems like you dont need to switch watches for that activity?
  • indianwin2001
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Why do you need the 220? isn't the 15 a gps watch too? the 220 is cool, but seems like you dont need to switch watches for that activity?

The garmin 15 would also record the cardio as steps thus double-counting. Besides I already had both HRM's--1 was a gift
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I don't think I see any flaws, but it sounds kind of confusing and quite frankly, a lot more effort than I would put into it.

Why don't you just do the TDEE method on here that way you don't have to track exercise calories?
  • indianwin2001
    Options
    I don't think I see any flaws, but it sounds kind of confusing and quite frankly, a lot more effort than I would put into it.

Why don't you just do the TDEE method on here that way you don't have to track exercise calories?

I was doing that but since I just entered maintenance I want to double-check myself. Eventually, I will get back to using IIFYM's TDEE---Thanks for your input
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    As DCrainmaker says on his sports Tech blog. Activity trackers are great for 23hours a day the other 1hour you need a proper Watch/app to track you. If you are happy with how you are doing it I can't see there being an issue especially if you are under reporting your cals burned
  • indianwin2001
    edited November 2014
    Options
    chunkytfg wrote: »
    As DCrainmaker says on his sports Tech blog. Activity trackers are great for 23hours a day the other 1hour you need a proper Watch/app to track you. If you are happy with how you are doing it I can't see there being an issue especially if you are under reporting your cals burned

Thanks--I do make sure to underestimate my lifting calories because there is no way of knowing how much weight training burns.

P.S.-Dcrainmaker is awesome and that's where I got this idea from
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    He is my 'go to' when anyone asks me about whats best etc. I'm a Garmin fan and have the 620 for running and the Edge500 for the bike. Not quite convinced myself I need a Swim yet though.
  • indianwin2001
    Options
    chunkytfg wrote: »
    He is my 'go to' when anyone asks me about whats best etc. I'm a Garmin fan and have the 620 for running and the Edge500 for the bike. Not quite convinced myself I need a Swim yet though.

Nice--Garmin has good stuff---keep training and enjoy and thanks for your input.