Weightlifting on a schedule

Options
Ok, I'm sure I can find an answer somewhere in the forums, but I'm short on time. I am able to workout Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursdays I can do cardio on other days but I don't have access to the gym. What would be the best workout schedule/exercises to use to maximize my access to the gym?

Replies

• jstrun
    jstrun Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I would lift weights probably Monday Tuesday and Thursday, I Lift only 3 times a week though, and run on the other days.

I do full body work outs though, so I'm sure you could lift Monday Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday but targetting a different body part each day in order to give your other muscles a rest (i.e. Back Monday, Core Tuesday, Legs Wednesday, Arms Thursday) or something along those lines (I am far from a pro!)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I'd either do a full-body workout on Monday & Thursday.. or upper body on Monday, lower on Tuesday and full-body Thursday.
    Either way, i'd prioritize compound exercises using freeweights.
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Monday - upper body
    Tuesday - lower body
    Wednesday - upper body
    Thursday - lower body
  • browndog1410
    Options
    I only workout 3 days a week - full body in 30 mins. pullups, handstand pushups, jumping squats and plyopushups. do them back to back (about 2.5 minutes) rest for 1 minute then repeat 5 times). Give yourself a day between weight bearing exerciese or your muscles don't recover properly. I'd initially stick to body weight (as indicated above) but incorporate weights if available.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    bbastin55 wrote: »
    Ok, I'm sure I can find an answer somewhere in the forums, but I'm short on time. I am able to workout Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursdays I can do cardio on other days but I don't have access to the gym. What would be the best workout schedule/exercises to use to maximize my access to the gym?

*disclaimer - don't wanna get bopped in the noze (sic) for this*

depends on your goals.

there are good two or three day splits. stronglifts is a good program (i prefer it to upper/lower splits, but YMMV)

if the stronglifts program doesn't address your goals (or Rip's program, which is similar) or any "push/pull/squat" type of program, i got nuffin, and would be psyched to hear what others have to say
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    jbach2 wrote: »
    Monday - upper body
    Tuesday - lower body
    Wednesday - upper body
    Thursday - lower body

I'll do the same.
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    It would be hard to do a full body routine each day, since you would have to have back to back workouts once a week. Given 4 consecutive days to lift, I would probably run something like Legs/Push/Pull/Legs.

Push days being things like bench press, overhead press, etc...working on chest/shoulders/tri

Pull days would be rows, pullups, and other back/bicep movements.

If you do an upper/lower split, you would probably want one of those upper/lowers to be at something less than 100% of your working weight, otherwise your wednesday/thursday workouts might be rough.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Don't make your own split. If you're asking what you can do with your schedule, it means you lack the basic knowledge needed to make your own split.

Get a canned beginner's program. SS, SL, et al. DTFP. Reap the newbie gains, then deal with a more advanced form of programming later.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Don't make your own split. If you're asking what you can do with your schedule, it means you lack the basic knowledge needed to make your own split.

Get a canned beginner's program. SS, SL, et al. DTFP. Reap the newbie gains, then deal with a more advanced form of programming later.

^^^ This. I lift 3 times a week focusing on alternating 2 workouts which encompass 6 compound moves:
    Barbel squat
    Bench Press
    Dead rows
    Overhead shoulder press
    Lat pull downs
    Deadlifts

• Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Look up 'the big 4' compound exercises; they allow you to work out your whole body with just 4 exercises. Great if you are short on time.

They are:
    Deadlift
    Bench press
    Squat
    Overhead press.

Personally I'd also throw in a lateral pulldown or pullup in there, and some bicep curls and tricep extensions.

If you do full body workouts spread the workouts a little more, like twice a week. If you want to do 3 times a week split them into upper body, lower body, upper body. That will make sure each body part has enough time to recover between workouts (>48 hours ideally).

If you want to lengthen the workouts do exercises that work the same muscle groups on the same day e.g.
    Day 1:
    Deadlift, over head press, lateral pulldowns, back row, seated dumbell flies, bicep curls
    Day 2:
    Squat, leg press, calve raises, leg extensions, leg curls.
    Day 3:
    Bench Press, cable crossovers, incline bench press, dips or decline bench press, tricep extensions.

Good luck.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

^^^ This. I lift 3 times a week focusing on alternating 2 workouts which encompass 6 compound moves:
    Barbel squat
    Bench Press
    Dead rows
    Overhead shoulder press
    Lat pull downs
    Deadlifts
    Yup, those get you 80% of the way there. I don't do the pull downs, but I'll rock pull ups, and I do a bit of accessory and iso work to bring up weaknesses, but yeah... the squat, the presses, the rows, the deadlift. Those are the cornerstone.