Women: Anybody else refuse to weigh in during their period?

Options

Replies

• LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    lol, what the heck is bothering you? Weight gain from your cycle is caused by hormones. You said it wasn't a hormonal issue. Are you even reading your own posts? Of course hormones fluctuate during the entire cycle, but the surge of estrogen that starts your period can definitely cause a surge in water retention. It's not rocket science..
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    LuckyMunky wrote: »
    beamer0821 wrote: »
    I've never experienced my period making a big difference on the scale.
    imo its an excuse/myth, whatever you want to call it. =)

Just like everything else in life, this will vary from person to person, depending on their diet, exercise, hormones and current medication.

Dismissing something simply because you've never personally experienced it is ridiculous.

yes there are factors that shift water around I'm with you in that. but we aren't talking about hormones, medications, diet, etc. cause all those things are factors without the period.

I'm strictly speaking to the effect of weight gain caused by period.
    and if you are losing the same amount you gained because of your period than its a non issue anyways...

Uh.. your period is controlled by your hormones.. so yes, it is a hormonal fluctuation.

Yes. Also, medications like birth control do play a role in period weight gain as well.
  • LuckyMunky wrote: »

Just like everything else in life, this will vary from person to person, depending on their diet, exercise, hormones and current medication.

Dismissing something simply because you've never personally experienced it is ridiculous.

yes there are factors that shift water around I'm with you in that. but we aren't talking about hormones, medications, diet, etc. cause all those things are factors without the period.

and if you are losing the same amount you gained because of your period than its a non issue anyways...

Uh.. your period is controlled by your hormones.. so yes, it is a hormonal fluctuation.

Yes. Also, medications like birth control do play a role in period weight gain as well.

True! But generally will only make a difference in your weight when you start them. If you're taking birth control on a regular basis, that shouldn't make a difference.
  • feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I don't mind weighing during my period. The most I've gained from PMS is around a pound or two, but I keep my sodium really low during those times. I cramp up if I don't.
  • sing809
    sing809 Posts: 54 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    p4darwtgj7al.png

I like to track my weight daily so that I can get an idea what to expect, and hopefully not get discouraged when I don't see any progress with my weight loss for a week or two. You can see the weight fluctuations at the beginning and end of my chart that coincide with my cycle. I am hoping to see a sudden drop in a couple days when it is over. I also noticed a slight gain and stall last month right around ovulation. Hormones definitely have an effect on the scale.
  • I don't mind weighing during my period. The most I've gained from PMS is around a pound or two, but I keep my sodium really low during those times. I cramp up if I don't.

On that note - i've had lipton chicken noodle soup like 3 times this week. HA. Sodium overload!!
  • dangie2002
    dangie2002 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I always gain 10# in water weight during my cycle. I only weigh myself twice a month because any more and I'm obsessing with numbers. I take measurements once a month. I think its important to take pictures to help document progress. I also know I'm in better shape now because I'm lifting heavier weights, I get the "runner's high" when I workout, my plank times are getting longer, my heart rate is lower, my endurance is greater, I'm going down in clothing sizes. This is all so much more important than the numbers on the scale. You have to look at the whole picture. :)
  • stonegirldancing42
    Options
    Yes. Usually 5, sometimes more. Same happens if I have more alcohol than normal (while still in my cal goal). I'm a sensitive one w/water weight. Annoying yet comforting in a way (when it goes up & I know why).
  • sing809 wrote: »
    p4darwtgj7al.png

I like to track my weight daily so that I can get an idea what to expect, and hopefully not get discouraged when I don't see any progress with my weight loss for a week or two. You can see the weight fluctuations at the beginning and end of my chart that coincide with my cycle. I am hoping to see a sudden drop in a couple days when it is over. I also noticed a stall last month right around ovulation. Hormones definitely have an effect on the scale.

LOVE THIS IDEA!
  • feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I don't mind weighing during my period. The most I've gained from PMS is around a pound or two, but I keep my sodium really low during those times. I cramp up if I don't.

On that note - i've had lipton chicken noodle soup like 3 times this week. HA. Sodium overload!!

lol... I wish I could have more since I tend to crave salty things, but the end result is either no pain or lying in bed in fetal position all day. Totally worth the sacrifice for me. :smile:
  • IndiaGuerita1983
    IndiaGuerita1983 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I go up around 8-10 pounds near my period and I eat clean 99% of the time. It drops back down to my normal weight about three days after my cycle starts. I still weigh daily during my cycle...mostly out of habit.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    It changes my weight, but I weigh in anyway. It's just information.
  • I go up around 8-10 pounds near my period and I eat clean 99% of the time. It drops back down to my normal weight about three days after my cycle starts. I still weigh daily during my cycle...mostly out of habit.

I tend to weigh myself daily.. as apart of my morning routine, but I don't track it on MFP. I think I'm going to start doing that. I feel like it would hold me more accountable and make me focus on short term victories as well.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

tumblr_lrs9mtry7Z1r1thdeo1_400.gif

Hermione_eye_roll.gif

I'm usually up 3-5 pounds when my cycle hits, and knowing that helps me be a little more aware of when it's impending since I'm not regular due to health issues.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    LuckyMunky wrote: »

True! But generally will only make a difference in your weight when you start them. If you're taking birth control on a regular basis, that shouldn't make a difference.

That's not what I mean at all. Birth control pills can help control water weight gain during your period as they help stabilize your hormones. So it does make a difference, it's just not one that we can see until we stop taking them.

• Cielazul
    Cielazul Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself on my usual schedule, about four times weekly, including during that time, but I put all of my weights into a program that analyzes the ups and down and creates a change curve that is an average of my weights, and de-emphasizes the ups and downs. Happyscale is the app. It is actually very helpful.
  • LuckyMunky wrote: »

That's not what I mean at all. Birth control pills can help control water weight gain during your period as they help stabilize your hormones. So it does make a difference, it's just not one that we can see until we stop taking them.

I actually did not know that! Thanks!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I don't weigh but every few months anyway, never noticed significant difference during period. Even if I did, and it came off when it was over I wouldn't even consider that a gain. I would consider it bloat. Like after a night at Oktoberfest. I dunno, I've had my period for over 20 years so I guess I'm just used to it. Or maybe it's that I don't track my weight down to the decimal why it doesn't bother me.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    bdenitto wrote: »
    My weight goes up for that week, 1-5 pounds and then I immediately drop that plus what I would have lost for the week. I skip the weigh in that week because I know it is going to be off. It seems to be different for every woman.

^this, but I don't skip the weigh in. It's awesome to see a 4 pound drop in one day.

• DrunkenGamer67
    DrunkenGamer67 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

giphy.gif

Amen