Starting Crossfit in a week...

Options
Anyone know of a Crossfit group here, or have experiences with Crossfit you'd like to share? Thanks!

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    There's a group called CrossFit Love. You will find a lot of support there.

You will get mixed reviews about CrossFit in the main forums. I personally love it - have been doing it for almost 2 years - it's the only workout I've been able to stick to, mostly because of the community.

Make sure you are going to a reputable box. They should have some kind of a beginner program, often called Elements, to teach you the basics before you really get started. Take it easy on the weights until your form is right. ALWAYS ask a question if you have one. Be safe, have fun...and all that jazz.
  • Niff314
    Niff314 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I did a lot of research before picking a box; we're really lucky in Seattle because there are almost as many boxes as Starbucks. =) I'm starting the On Ramp on 12/1. Very excited!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I like the fact they call it a box.

It's an interesting strength sport. Really though, know your limits, and stick to them. Like Waterfalls.
  • JZ_Evolution_Mark2
    Options
    Where are you? You should try a few different places before choosing the one for you. They're known as "boxes"... and they will all have different WODS (Workout of the Day)... geared to all fitness levels. So it comes down to the intructor and the people there. You'll know which is right for you after trying a couple.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I did it for a year and half. I really enjoyed it, but had to quit because it just wasn't fitting in my budget and schedule anymore. I may go back to it someday though! Have fun with it and enjoy the ride.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I apologize in advance because I don't feel like editing and will just bombard you with one long paragraph of random thoughts:

I lift heavy and run on my own but it's kind of apples and oranges compared to Crossfit. I do both and like both, in different ways. I take classes at my gym but my Crossfit classes are completely different in that I feel like I get more personal training in CF than when I actually had a personal trainer. Plus, the community environment is really fun. It's cool to log your progress and see where you've gone. I mean little things like getting caught in my jump rope on singles when I started a little over a year ago to being able to do 30 unbroken double unders...going from cleaning 15 pounds to 135...doing a handstand again at age 41...getting my very first strict pull (s) and rope climb...doing a workout and doing it 6 months later and taking 33% off your time and doing it with more weight. It's so MOTIVATING and when you surround yourself with athletes who are fitter than you, your concept of what is possible changes and suddenly those things seem possible FOR YOU. I truly believe your body doesn't go where your mind doesn't push it and CF has been a complete game changer for me. It has changed me in all aspect of my life. I am more mentally tough than I was a year ago. I've made a lot of really good friends too. I never played sports. I realized at age 40 that I am promising strength athlete, and a lot of that was through CF. I have developed a passion for lifting heavy things. My box also offers free olympic lifting coaching from certified trainers (not just CF coaches, USA-W coaches, legit!) six hours per week and they even arranged for me to have one-on-one coaching from powerlifting coach when I was preparing for a recent meet (at no charge). A lot of what you get out of it depends on your box and how much help you ask for. I get more because I do more and ask for more. Some people just go in, workout and leave. They have a great time too though. It can be used by many people in different ways. It's probably the single best thing I've done in the last 10 years. I've been in 2 Crossfit competitions and one powerlifting comp in the last 6 months and putting myself out there like that (and actually doing pretty well) boosted my confidence to the point where I feel like I am more competent and fit at 41 than I was at 25. :)
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think it is really fun. You never know what you are going to get because the workout is different every time. You do things you wouldn't do in a gym, like skip rope and climb and do handstands and do Olympic lifts, a lot of them. Mostly, you push yourself a lot harder than you would on your own because there are people watching you and encouraging you, and you don't want to look like a whimp, and you are racing a clock.
  • Niff314
    Options
    Where are you? You should try a few different places before choosing the one for you. They're known as "boxes"... and they will all have different WODS (Workout of the Day)... geared to all fitness levels. So it comes down to the intructor and the people there. You'll know which is right for you after trying a couple.

I'm in Seattle. A good friend of mine is a Crossfit coach and highly recommends the box that I'm visiting today.

I've been doing cardio and lifting on my own since July, and whereas I'm seeing results, I know I can accomplish much more with guidance and teamwork. People that I know that do Crossfit swear by it, and whereas I build muscle rather easily, I really need work on my stamina and endurance - hoping this will help me achieve those goals. =)

Thanks for the responses everyone! Really excited to begin.
  • Niff314
    Options
    tufel wrote: »
    I think it is really fun. You never know what you are going to get because the workout is different every time. You do things you wouldn't do in a gym, like skip rope and climb and do handstands and do Olympic lifts, a lot of them. Mostly, you push yourself a lot harder than you would on your own because there are people watching you and encouraging you, and you don't want to look like a whimp, and you are racing a clock.

That's exactly what I'm looking for. And I need to up the challenge on my bodyweight squats...looking forward to having access to weights to start really leveling up on my squats.