Vegetables

Options
I was wondering if you guys log your vegetables? I try to eat some at every meal and sometimes even as a snack (like tonight I cooked some mixed frozen veggies because I was still hungry after dinner). Same with things like a salad (all I have in my salads are lettuce and cucumbers.) I'm asking because I'm underweight and need to gain some weight but I don't wanna gain it in my stomach. So if I see I ate calories in veggies, I won't eat anymore in fear of going over my limit.

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Vegetables have calories, so I log them. Probably not what you want to read, but there it is. :/
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I log my veggies.
  • slenderizeme
    slenderizeme Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I don't because they are so low in calories for me it isn't worth the time. I would only log them if you eat a ton of vegetables and they count for a significant amount of calories.
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I log servings of veggies - my salads, my side dishes, etc. If put a lettuce leaf and a single wheel of a tomato on my sandwich, I probably won't log it out of laziness.
    They are calories and they are important calories - - but they are also LOW calories. I don't fret if the reason I went over was an extra bowl of broccoli.
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I log all my vegies :smile:
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Yes I log fruit and veg because they are an importnat and significant part of my diet and daily calories.
    I'm asking because I'm underweight and need to gain some weight but I don't wanna gain it in my stomach. So if I see I ate calories in veggies, I won't eat anymore in fear of going over my limit.

Sorry this is messed up. Yes you are underweight. You are sometimes easting as low as 700 calories a day and are consistently below 1000 calories a day. Your eating habits are unhealthy. If not logging food helps you trick yourself into eating more then go for it, but you need to eat more to gain weight and thats a lot more.

Why not eat more and exercise to gain some muscle? That way you can be toned and shapely, but gain weight as well.
  • makingmylifebetter
    makingmylifebetter Posts: 37 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    smoriarity wrote: »
    I'm asking because I'm underweight and need to gain some weight but I don't wanna gain it in my stomach. So if I see I ate calories in veggies, I won't eat anymore in fear of going over my limit.

Wait, what? You need to gain weight, but if you eat vegetables you're afraid of going over your limit? At this point, if you're underweight, why are you even worried about a limit? Eat! Enjoy!

Seriously doubt that anyone ever gained weight because of vegetables, anyway. : )

• smoriarity
    Options
    Thank you guys for your input.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I was wondering if you guys log your vegetables? I try to eat some at every meal and sometimes even as a snack (like tonight I cooked some mixed frozen veggies because I was still hungry after dinner). Same with things like a salad (all I have in my salads are lettuce and cucumbers.) I'm asking because I'm underweight and need to gain some weight but I don't wanna gain it in my stomach. So if I see I ate calories in veggies, I won't eat anymore in fear of going over my limit.
    Yes, I log veggies. Because they have calories! Not many, but still. They count. I am fat (really fat, not BDD fat) and I need to lose!

If you don't want to log them, skip it! They're so low in calories. If the number freaks you out, just don't record it. Easy peasy.

If you plan to gain, you have to eat more. There is no easy way to gain without it.

We cannot control where we gain, but if you eat enough to be strong, you can do some work on your body, crunches, six inches, planks - stuff that will tone your abdomen. It might take a while before the hard work pays off, but your belly can be flat and smooth and not look muscular, if you eat enough and do the work.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I log my vegetables; I log everything. In addition to tracking calories and carbs, it also helps me make sure I eat enough vegetables.
    Try changing your perspective on your "limit". Instead, call it a goal. Try to stay within 50-100 calories above or below your goal. That's a relatively small variance, so it shouldn't make a big difference. Since you're trying to gain, rather than lose, then making vegetables "free" (not logging them) might be a good option for you. We all have to find what works.

I'm not sure you can really control where you gain weight. You're going to gain it everywhere. Read some of the posts in the Gaining Weight section for tips about healthy weight gain.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Wait, what? You need to gain weight, but if you eat vegetables you're afraid of going over your limit? At this point, if you're underweight, why are you even worried about a limit? Eat! Enjoy!

Seriously doubt that anyone ever gained weight because of vegetables, anyway. : )
    Some people have issues with food that make them fat.

Some people have issues with food that make them too skinny.

Different struggles, equally difficult.
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I only log things that have a significant number of calories. I can't be bothered logging, lettuce, spinach, celery, peppers, onions, cucumbers and that sort of thing unless I am creating a recipe and then I add them. I do log tomatoes, squashes, sweet potatoes, corn, peas, cauliflower, and broccoli.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I log everything I eat and drink. Everything has calories and they add up. You have the opposite problem that I have though as you are trying to gain weight, so I guess the calories in veggies would be a moot point for you. Still good nutrition is important for everyone and may effect your overall health, so perhaps it may be beneficial for you to track just for the nutritional value.
  • smoriarity
    Options
    I guess everyone has different preferences and I was just wondering what they were.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I log everything, but then again, I'm currently trying to lose weight.

If you are underweight, you may not have to worry about logging veggies as they may be somewhat inconsequential to your goals, but you also should be trying to eat more calorie-dense foods (protein/fat) to help you gain.

Edited to add: looking at your diary, you are nowhere near exceeding your caloric goal on most days--don't freak out about going over--you definitely should be trying to minimally hit your goal EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    You're not going to gain eating 800 calories a day. Change your goals to GAINING weight, meet that goal EVERY day, and log properly. You can't force your body to gain where you want it, but eating just a bit above maintenance will help minimize gaining too much fat.Lift heavy while eating at a surplus, lots of protein, and you might avoid much fat gain at all.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I log vegetables, just like I log everything else. It's not just about calories for me, since I also track protein (yes, vegetables have them), fat (yes, vegetables have a little tiny amount in general, except the obvious ones like avocado), fiber (vegetables have lots of this) and other nutrients, all of which fuel your body.

You might have more luck in the Gaining Weight forum.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Vegetables have calories too. Some have a lot of calories.
  • TheTiagooo
    TheTiagooo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I don't log any salad portion that's under 30 calories. Tend to assume my daily allowance is an estimate anyway, I just try to be sensible.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I log my veggies...I log everything. :)

Yum, veggies.