Treadmill incline grade/percentage

Options
I have an el cheapo Weslo Cadence 5.9 treadmill. There's a manual incline option via adjusting the legs to either-or positions, so it's either at an incline or it's not.

The legs are adjusted at the back of it, so going from level to the incline position means the back is in negative inches, and that's the opposite way to measure according to what I've been reading which tells you to measure the amount you gain at the front.

The back drops 3 inches, so could I just calculate it as the front raising by 3?

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Too much math. Go outside.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I, too, have an el cheapo Weslo Cadence, although mine is the G40 model. I've been trying to find an accurate way to determine the incline, as the "flat" adjustment is not quite flat. I downloaded a free app to determine the degree of the angle, and based on that (and some fancy math calculations I found with the help of Google), the flat setting on my model is actually about 1.5% elevation.

So that didn't answer your question, but if you're trying to determine the incline, it's a start!
  • Oceanborn2
    Oceanborn2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I emailed Weslo and they said it's a 6% incline. Considering that I read someone else calculate their treadmill at 6.7% when the front of theirs moved up by 3 inches, I'm guessing 6% is probably accurate.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Good to know! Is yours completely flat when it's not inclined?
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPhone, there is an app that you can download that will allow you to lay your phone down on an inclined surface and it will calculate the gradient/incline for you. I use it sometimes when I am curious about the grade of a hilly road that I am walking on outside. I don't have my phone in front of me, but if I recall, the app is called iGradient, and as far as I recall it was free. They may have an Android version, but I don't know.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Oceanborn2 wrote: »
    I have an el cheapo Weslo Cadence 5.9 treadmill. There's a manual incline option via adjusting the legs to either-or positions, so it's either at an incline or it's not.

The legs are adjusted at the back of it, so going from level to the incline position means the back is in negative inches, and that's the opposite way to measure according to what I've been reading which tells you to measure the amount you gain at the front.

The back drops 3 inches, so could I just calculate it as the front raising by 3?

yes. because by dropping the back three inches,, the front is now three inches higher. (assuming it has not moved during the drop.)
  • Oceanborn2
    Oceanborn2 Posts: 16 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I haven't measured it as meticulously as I should have, but from the appearance alone, it's probably no more than a 1% incline by default at the flat position, if that even.

I don't have an iphone but everything seems to point to a 6% incline. Maybe I should go in there and measure again just to check.
  • Stale29
    Stale29 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I have a similar question. I have a Wesco Ex14 treadmill where you manually change the elevation. I currently have it down 1 notch from horizontal which my phone level says is a 3.5 degree incline. If I ran 4.16km, what formula or calculator do I use to figure out the elevation gain?