Female Training Progam

Options
Hey there, I would love some suggestions on a training program to try? I would prefer a 12 week program, and it would be great if people have had personal success. I'm looking to lose about 15-20lbs, I'm naturally very athletic, and I am not afraid to lift heavy. In the past I have successfully completed Jamie Eason's Live Fit program and was very happy with the results but would like to try something new. Oh and I have access to a gym. Suggestions please!

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5
  • ShiraDarling
    ShiraDarling Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Have you had success with that program or??
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Have you had success with that program or??

Personally no, but I know at least 20 people that have had a lot of success with the program. It's perfect for those who are new, or new-ish to lifting heavy and helps build strength very well. The last time I was new to lifting was when I was 15, and I lifted in high school for sports so a beginner program isn't useful to me, but Stronglifts is a great option for those who want to build strength and they're new to it.
  • ShiraDarling
    Options
    I'm not new to strength training, i have been lifting weights for 12 years- but just to stay fit- never to gain mass. I don't want that. So I guess I would consider myself more on the intermediate level- is it still worth checking out this program?
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    You won't gain mass unless you are overeating. You gain muscle and fat or you lose muscle and fat. With few exceptions, that is the end of the story. SL5x5 will get you stronger faster than anything else and make you like what you see when you lean out much more. Weight lifting changed my body a lot more than just losing weight with walking and eating less. Check out my pics if you want to see what it's done for me. I do SL and martial arts. Why do you want a 12 week program?
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    you can't really gain mass in a calorie deficit unless you are on gear...strong lifts (SL) is really a great program for building strength. It is going to be heavier lifting and more compound lifts than Jamie's program. Another one you might like is strong curves which is all about the booty. I have done Jamie's program and SL. I like them both for different reasons. I was also cutting while doing them. Jamie's program was less daunting than SL. SL really intoduced me to the big lifts like bench, deads, squats, OHP and rows. It's not girly and can be kind of boring after a while but I recommend it to just about everyone. I saw huge improvement in my strength on SL and I also lost inches.
  • ShiraDarling
    Options
    Thank you for the insight and suggestions. Anyone else know of a program that would be worth checking out?
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    A second for Strong Curves - various 12 week programs in the book to suit novice to more advanced
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi! There's really no such thing as a gender specific plan, IMO. You just go as hard or light as you want in any plan.
    This one has great reviews, and you are familiar with the site, if you have done Jamie's plan before: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jim-stoppani-six-week-shortcut-to-shred.html
    It's six weeks, but you can always do each week twice.
    I've been doing Erin Stern's Elite Body Trainer on there, which is a 4 week plan, 3 times in a row so far. Still getting stronger, maybe I'll go another round. Check it out, too. It's got an easy to follow routine, weights, cardio, HIIT... perfect to carry you over until you find something else.

Happy training!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Wendler 5/3/1?

I do like Stronglifts5x5 though and think even an intermediate lifter would benefit from it. It'll really builds strength quickly and can show you what you are really capable.

However, after a while squats every workout started to just kill me so now I do a variation of this one:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/373801