Ugh ... spent a week back at home with my family ... lots of food and NO exercise ... oh boy!

Options
I had a great time back at home visiting with friends and family. i enjoyed eating all the foods I don't usually eat. Lol i even enjoyed taking a break from exercise.

What I do not enjoy, however, is feeling like i am incredibly deconditioned and all my clothes are tight tight tight!

Kind of disappointed with myself but just going to try to move forward. Starting by getting back to my healthy eating and exercise!

anyone else do this when they go home???

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    No. I don't. I get up in the morning if I'm on a break from teaching and can visit my family and they know that the first thing I do is go for a run/the gym. And they don't interrupt. They gave been to almost every marathon I've run and know that I am a b%%# before getting my workout in, so easier to just give me the time and space to do it. Also, my mother and family have fallen suit since I becamw more active A while ago. She will ask me what vegetarian stuff she might pick up for me before I arrive.(I've been vegetarian since 18). I've made it clear its important to me and they respect that. Sure we enjoy ourselves, and have the occasional treat, but my mom has type 2 diabetes and is very careful. Look, it was just one week. You'll be fine. Reestablish your normal routine and move on from there. I imagine this won't be the last trip to see your family so its best to figure out a way to take control over your habits and choices at any time--not just when you're away from them. good habits don't take a vacation.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    whenever i go on holiday, if there are no gym facilities, i go for a run every day. even if its only 3 miles, its still better than nothing. And even though i might take a break from calorie counting, i try to make it so i only eat when im hungry, i try to avoid junk as best i can and i make healthier choices at meal times. If i am a bit naughty, I dont mind too much. Just maintain some part of your routine and the rest should follow suit
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Eh, my egg donor drives me up the wall and judges every bite I eat. Whenever I go back to that pit I wind up starving myself and going running every chance I get.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    No, back when I was in that situation my parents ate healthier than I ever did and I would end up sneaking naughty treats when they weren't looking. My dad was a fitness freak and we used to run together.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    timpani9 wrote: »
    I had a great time back at home visiting with friends and family. i enjoyed eating all the foods I don't usually eat. Lol i even enjoyed taking a break from exercise.

(...)

anyone else do this when they go home???
    Absolutely. 0 fuks given.

Don't worry too much about it. Even assuming you ate 2000 calories over maintenance every day for a week, that's only 4 extra lbs... and that's very much an upper bound, 2000 over maintenance is hard to maintain except on purpose.

ETA : and a lot of the "gain" is from bloating and will go away in a few days. True story.
  • missbirrell
    Options
    Yes - when I go to visit my parents. I see friends I don't see much and that usually involves eating out and cooking at my parents' place is a no-no. I'll either make healthier choices or I'll just go with the flow and have my standard weight gain of 2lbs. I don't mind - that's life. I'm not going to miss out on the fun just because I want to shed the lbs, life's too short for that.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    There is no time, with the exception of a diet break, that I don't log, therefore know what I'm eating. It was one week and its over, so move forward. Perhaps next time (as we're coming into the holidays), you need to have a plan. Try pre-logging your food and give yourself a budget of maintenance calories.
  • RHPSgirl1984
    RHPSgirl1984 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    We're going home for Thanksgiving to visit with family. I won't be able to get to a gym but I'm still going to try and go out for my walks and log what I eat. Last time we went home I think I gained about 5 pounds haha. I'm determined not to this time.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    When we visited family last June we ate out every day, every meal, and yes I gained 2 pounds in a week (really because I couldn't resist having dessert once a day0, but I went for runs and walks... I just can't stand sitting there doing nothing anymore.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I'll be going home this week and while I'll be a little less strict with myself, I will walk/run my two miles a day and eat my normal breakfast and lunch. Dinner will be my splurge. Next time, make a plan and stick to it.
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I only see my family about once a year (distance). Their life is eating, and watching TV. But they live on a big farm, so I bring my walking/running shoes. Their dog loves it when I come, he's my exercise buddy. Once we went to an "all you can eat" buffet, and they were upset that I only had one plateful, not getting my money's worth! I filled up a second plate with lean salad. You gotta love you family, but they are who they are. If you want to succeed in your goals, it is YOU who will sabotage or stick to your plan. Not easy. You will feel better about yourself if you enjoy a few special family favorites but fit them into your macros. And if you go too far off track, just jump back on when you get home and carry on! No one is perfect, many of us have to do this!
  • abbeyjones1994
    abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky enough that when I'm home from school for a holiday (which I am right now), my parents and I have similar healthy lifestyles going on. They go to a gym, and since it's a little gym inside a Physical Therapy clinic (three treadmills, two ellipticals, two bikes, two rowing machines, and some dumbbells), the owners don't make me pay to go, so I'll go just about every day this week. My mom is actually the one who got me into MFP, so she knows that I don't eat as much as I used to, and was really accommodating when it came to my grocery list for the week not necessarily matching up with theirs. And while I have definitely indulged at some of my favorite restaurants the past few days, I have stayed under goal because my priorities are still in the right place, and I've earned enough calories back through exercise that I still got to eat a burrito this afternoon and stay on track. I know my situation is different from many (as in, most people's moms probably don't use MFP too), but as some people have said, if you make a plan, I don't think it's as difficult as some make it out to be.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    My visits home are rare and long (I think two weeks for Christmastime coming up).
    My Mom keeps a lot of junk food around and in the distant past I'd gain a bit from eating it.

In the past couple years though I've dusted off my old dumbbells I've left there so I'm lifting and eating at TDEE. Also going for long walks every chance I get with old highschool friends and extended family. Gotta get out of the house. It's a very car-focused, sprawly area so I'll also make a point of walking to the grocery store frequently and carrying stuff home.