Slacking. How do you get out of a funk?

Options
Okay, I am slacking. My weight loss has stalled in the past two weeks, and it is my fault. Aargh! I am not drinking as much water as I should, and I am not minding the macro-nutrients the way that I should be. I don't want to exercise. I just want to curl up on the sofa with a nice blankie, cup of hot cider, and read a book or watch a movie. I need motivation, stat. I know what I SHOULD do, and I know how to do it, but I just can't seem to get out of my own way.

It's me. It's all me. I need a reality check. What do you do to get yourself out of a funk?

Replies

• jsheter
    jsheter Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Want/need to see some replies, too, please! Feeling the same spiral--three days this week over (two were WAY OVER) daily calories and it is going to be hard as the holidays and all that yummy food are in front of me. Please keep motivation coming...
  • QueenMother14
    QueenMother14 Posts: 438 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I know the feeling. What I have had to start doing is the moment I walk in the door from work, I change into work out clothes instead of my comfy sweats. I start dinner and while it is baking, I do my T25 videos or some other routine I have come up with that takes around 25 minutes. Then on the days I am motivated or have more time, I will do longer workouts. But I figure even if I get 10 hard full out minutes in per day that is better than nothing.
  • sangster19
    sangster19 Posts: 5 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Fight.

Remember that feeling of dread when you knew, for weeks, that you needed to lose weight? Remember how sick you felt when you ate that crappy food for the third time that day?
    Remember how embarrassed you were when you looked in the mirror?

Don't forget those feelings.

Adopt exercise and healthy eating as a habit. Trigger your running/working out. When you come home from work, put everything away, put on your gym clothes, and lace up your shoes.

Go to the gym/Go Run/ Go Cycle/ Go Swim. Do your workout. Push yourself harder.

When you're done, weigh in. Smile. Big 'ol stupid "I can't believe I'm smiling like an idiot" smile". Smiling helps. It releases endorphins and makes you happier. It becomes the reward. It's like the reward satisfaction feeling when you clean the house.

If you want more information about the habit loop, pick up a copy of "Power of Habit". Great book.

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot this part.

Supplements. Take. Supplements. You're not going to "bulk up" because you're drinking protein. Get some Whey protein. Take BCAA's to increase the endurance of your muscles. Take some sort of pre-workout supplement to get you JACKED for your workout. I take C4 before my workouts, which are mostly endurance, and I'm HYPED by the time I come to the gym.
  • feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, when my body wants to be lazy because of this cold weather, I just treat it the way I would my job. Get it done and then relax. It gets easier. :smile:
  • QueenMother14
    QueenMother14 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Also, I have looked up several 30 days challenges and I keep the pics of those on my phone so that if I only have a few minutes or I am not real motivated, I can at least do what I am supposed to do that day for the challenge. Like push-up challenge, squat challenge, abs challenge, etc.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I get like this too. Its like now its Friday afternoon and I am already thinking should I go to the gym tonight? Or just chill out at home, watching tele, all cosy in bed? MMMM!

But I think I am going to push myself and just go. You feel so much better after. This time of year doesn't help, its cold & wet.

You can do it! Imagine when you do really well and see that number on the scales go down???

Make a collage of fitness/healthy things. Save a photo of your phone fitness inspired or quotes to help motivate you.

I follow groups on instagram - Sometimes looking at others looking amazing pushes me
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    For me, it's all about the workout. I found that I can push myself to run or go to the gym even when I don't feel like it. I treat it like an appointment that must be kept; almost like a medical need. It is literally a daily commitment that I won't break barring extraordinary circumstances. Once that commitment is in place, the diet side just falls into place because of how much my eating habits are affected by the quality of my workouts.
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, when my body wants to be lazy because of this cold weather, I just treat it the way I would my job. Get it done and then relax. It gets easier. :smile:

Exactly.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Do the lazies feel better than the sense of accomplishment you get after you override that thing... I know that when ever I crush a workout.. I feel way better than anything I could feel after sitting on the couch for a couple of extra hours... FEED THAT emotion.. NOW get up and get something done!!!
  • MelanieMamaof5
    MelanieMamaof5 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    We all do it. Especially in this kind of weather. It's only natural to want to "hibernate". :) Like the others have said before me....just do you best to move forward. Make yourself do what you know needs to be done. Especially the exercise. When I am unmotivated I make myself put on my shoes and tell myself to just get started and no quitting. Once I get started....and am committed to not quit until it's done, it only takes a minute for me to really get into it.

Good Luck. YOU CAN DO IT!
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    there's not really a response to this since motivation is internal. you just have to do it even if you don't want to and then you will break through it.
  • Ferrous_Female_Dog
    Ferrous_Female_Dog Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I do small tasks to build momentum. So, in your case:

The first thing I would do is just start getting up early. I am an AM exerciser so when I am slacking that usually means I am sleeping in. So first thing I'd do is get my sleep schedule in order.

Then I would focus on logging. Again, when I slack, that means I'm not logging. I don't aim to be within my calorie goal. I don't worry about that. I just try get back into the habit of logging everything.

Then I would try to get some exercise in.

Once I have that down, then I'd focus on staying within my calorie range.

One thing at a time helps keep me from the all or nothing approach and makes getting back on track easier.
  • mkraizel
    mkraizel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I often tell myself out loud "I am choosing to not work out/eat over calories/etc. and I know the consequences." I don't know why that really helps me. Sometimes I still choose the "bad" option but other times hearing it makes me stop and rethink.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options

^^^ Yup schedule it like a meeting and get it done. Also helps to invite someone else to that meeting. You are less likely to bail if someone is waiting for you...
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    I'm this way right now too. I recognize why I'm feeling this way - it's winter and gets dark early, and I haven't been getting 8 hours of sleep for a very long time. I usually get 5. I feel like... if I could just change my sleeping, that would help my energy levels! I'm going to try it this weekend.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I've felt this way all week, especially since it's been so cold out. I think about working out all day and then by the time I get off work I just want to sit on the couch. What I do after work is change into my workout clothes BEFORE I walk the dogs so I'm ready to go when I get back inside. I also don't sit down when I get home. Otherwise, I wouldn't get up.

I don't necessarily want to go so much as it is habit and I know I'll feel better afterward. Doing something is better than nothing.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    MUSIC
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    As soon as I hit my winter doldrums I
    -sign into MFP and start logging.
    -Renew my rec centre membership for 6 months.
    -Find a class I think I will benefit from in a fun way - this year Zumba and learning to swim.

The latter is the same as making an appointment, I've paid for the classes, so I'm not going to waste my money.

Sometimes one can't rely on motivation, one has to force the issue. I force it by not wasting the money I have spent.

As soon as I get up I weigh myself, happy that I am where I should be, I log my weight, if I have done my weight may as well do my breakfast and before I know it I have logged the whole day.

Find a stimuli for you and stick with it.
    Ooh, couch, coffee and a good book is just sooo much more me, but I really, really don't want to be a crotchety old grandma stuck on the couch.

Cheers, h.