27 female in need of support!

Options
ITnerdybird
ITnerdybird Posts: 6
edited November 2014 in Motivation and Support
I am pretty new in my journey and in need of advice/support. My journey started when I went to an amusement park and it took two employees to smush me into a roller coaster, I was mortified, I have always chunky since middle school but never had any trouble getting on the roller coasters. This opened my eyes to just how big I have gotten over the past few years. The next day I got on the scale and I was 321 lbs, I was disgusted! I started using myfitnesspal and that has helped quite a bit, in the past months I am now down 16 lbs. I know that is pretty decent progress but I don't feel any different whatsoever. I also have trouble drinking a lot of water throughout the day, it's not that I drink other things...I am just not that thirsty. I only end up drinking about 3 glasses if that. One thing I have noticed is that my appetite is getting smaller and I love that, however some days I end up eating about 1000 calories because I am eating cleaner foods and I am not hungry to eat more. Myfitnesspal is saying I should eat about 2060 calories a day to lose 2 lbs a week, I rarely get past 1500 calories...is this a bad thing? I definitely don't want to be unhealthy.

Replies

• JoKessho
    JoKessho Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the progress you've already made! Are you taking pictures? Those can really help when you feel that there isn't much change.
    Drinking more water is just something you need to teach yourself. Try making it a habit to drink 1-2 glasses of water first thing in the morning. You might have to "force" yourself at first, but you'll get used to it. Also, keep a water bottle with you/on your desk, so that you're reminded of drinking all the time.
    Try to always eat more than 1200 kcal. Eating less might make you prone to binges and cause muscle loss. Although the best thing is really to listen to your body and if you don't feel that hungry, then there's no point in trying to force 2000+ kcal per day.

P.S. feel free to add :wink:
  • ITnerdybird
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I actually just took my first pics the other day so I won't see progress for a bit. I was too scared to take the pictures but I am glad I did because although I am severely overweight I do not look as bad as I thought I did in my mind, that made me feel a bit better.
  • EvelynR1967
    EvelynR1967 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your great progress so far. Listen to your body. if you feel good at 1500 calories, that is a great place to start. I don't think there is a magic number set for everyone, just listen to your body. I wish you so much success on your awesome journey!
  • galaxyhearts
    galaxyhearts Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Try making some plain (unsweetened) tea, or add some lemon juice to your water if you're not drinking enough. I find that sometimes a little flavor helps me suck down some extra ounces during the day. =]
  • ITnerdybird
    Options
    I have been adding lemon, which definitely helps!! It's not even that I don't like water, I just don't feel thirsty. I know I need to drink a lot more than I am. I will try doing unsweetened tea to see if that helps! :)
  • eat_hike_b33r
    eat_hike_b33r Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I just started about 10 days ago and I often have it tell me I am under (at around 900-1000 calories) but honestly I know for sure I am eating enough because I feel full and satisfied. I don't force myself to eat more and assume that I am underestimating portions or for some items the nutrition info may not be accurate.
    I would just say that as long as you aren't losing too rapidly and you are meeting your nutrient requirements that is what matters:)
  • AmandaLY17
    AmandaLY17 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress thus far!! I drink only a glass or two of water a day (or coffee or tea), you get a lot of water from veggies and if you are eating really clean I would guess youre getting quite a few of those a day. Also, you can eat clean and still eat high calorie foods, meats, nuts and avacados are a great start.
    As for noticing your loss. I've lost 40 lbs this year. I didnt notice myself til the 35ish mark. Everyone else would comment, but I couldnt see it and I couldnt feel it. Dont despair, just remember why you are doing it and keep plodding along. One day you'll wake up and notice :)
  • TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job and I try to get up every hour to rest my eyes and get a few steps in. I have a small water bottle and every time I get up I usually try to drink down to at least halfway if I'm not already there. It keeps my water intake up and gives me an excuse to walk down to the water fountain adding even more steps.

I don't know if you have a job that you can do the same type of thing, but something similar to that might help you increase water intake.
  • CleverClone
    CleverClone Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss so far, that's great! :smile:
    For those of us who have more to lose it often takes a lot longer to see changes. I've lost about 30lbs so far and am only now starting to see some differences (even though I know I've lost both weight and inches). I think it's because you usually lose fat pretty evenly all over your body; it's not like you lose 5lbs of fat from your belly at once, you're more likely to lose a thin layer of fat all over your body so it takes a while for the losses to accumulate into something you can see in the mirror.
    Just don't get discouraged, keep doing the right things and you'll get to your goal! :smile: And like others have suggested, take both pictures and measurements in addition to weighing yourself.

Feeling thirsty is your body's way of telling you you're already dehydrated, so you shouldn't rely on it as a cue to drink. It's a habit you need to form, and while you might have to force it a bit in the beginning soon you'll get used to it (and start feeling icky if you don't drink enough!). What helped me is filling a couple of bottles of water in the morning and then having one of them with me at all times during he day. Much easier to have a few sips every hour than down a massive glass in one go.

As far as food goes, it's probably a good idea to stay as close to your goal as you can get, but obviously don't force yourself to eat if you simply can't. However I think the general rule is to never let yourself get under 1200 calories as it's extremely hard to get all the nutrients you need if your calories are below that (not feeling hungry does not always mean your body has gotten all he nutrients it needs). Like someone already said an easy way to up your calories is to add things like avocados, nuts (peanut buttaaaaaah..!), meat, oils etc. into your diet. Make sure you get enough (good) fats, your body needs them.
    Also, there's nothing wrong with having treats if they fit into your calories; I make room for chocolate several times a week and still lose weight, and so do a lot of other people. It's about finding a balance that works for you.

Good luck (and feel free to add me if you wish)! :smile:
  • vamaena
    vamaena Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss so far, that's great! :smile:
    For those of us who have more to lose it often takes a lot longer to see changes. I've lost about 30lbs so far and am only now starting to see some differences (even though I know I've lost both weight and inches). I think it's because you usually lose fat pretty evenly all over your body; it's not like you lose 5lbs of fat from your belly at once, you're more likely to lose a thin layer of fat all over your body so it takes a while for the losses to accumulate into something you can see in the mirror.
    Just don't get discouraged, keep doing the right things and you'll get to your goal! :smile: And like others have suggested, take both pictures and measurements in addition to weighing yourself.

Feeling thirsty is your body's way of telling you you're already dehydrated, so you shouldn't rely on it as a cue to drink. It's a habit you need to form, and while you might have to force it a bit in the beginning soon you'll get used to it (and start feeling icky if you don't drink enough!). What helped me is filling a couple of bottles of water in the morning and then having one of them with me at all times during he day. Much easier to have a few sips every hour than down a massive glass in one go.

As far as food goes, it's probably a good idea to stay as close to your goal as you can get, but obviously don't force yourself to eat if you simply can't. However I think the general rule is to never let yourself get under 1200 calories as it's extremely hard to get all the nutrients you need if your calories are below that (not feeling hungry does not always mean your body has gotten all he nutrients it needs). Like someone already said an easy way to up your calories is to add things like avocados, nuts (peanut buttaaaaaah..!), meat, oils etc. into your diet. Make sure you get enough (good) fats, your body needs them.
    Also, there's nothing wrong with having treats if they fit into your calories; I make room for chocolate several times a week and still lose weight, and so do a lot of other people. It's about finding a balance that works for you.

Good luck (and feel free to add me if you wish)! :smile:

^ This is all great advice!

I'll be sending you a friend request as I can relate to how you feel... I'm 27 and started my journey at 338lbs. I always felt great but realized I needed to get fit and lose weight when the bunk broke on me on my last backpacking trip. I was so mortified that I only stayed in that hostel the one night instead of 4 and found another place. I didn't want to face the other people staying in that room.

I started my journey for realsies back in May 2014 and so far I've lost 53lbs. I started to notice a bit of a change at 20-25lbs but didn't start feeling different until I was close to 45-50lbs down.

My daily goal is set to 2320 calories a day. As CleverClone has mentioned a great easy way to boost those calories is to add things like avocados and nuts to your diet if you haven't already (also if you don't have allergies to them). My food diary's open if you'd like some ideas. I pretty much eat similar foods daily since I like to prep stuff in advance. Prepping and pre-logging has helped me a lot.

As for water, at first you might have to force yourself to drink some. I had to do that but now easily average 12 glasses a day, sometimes way more.

It's been said, progress pics. I also read that you took your first ones, that's great news! I will be honest and say that I took some pics back in May when I started and when I took them again in July I didn't see much of a difference (luckily I had a trainer who pointed out all the tiny changes). When I took them again in September I saw a huge difference and again in Novembers (even though from September to November I only lost 3-5lbs my body composition changed and my body fat percentage went down by 3%). Another thing you can do is take measurements. That also helps when you don't see the scale move.
  • 13shark77
    13shark77 Posts: 65 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I use to be over 220 lbs when I was 22 years old. I understand the frustion myself when trying to do good. As years goneby. My lost weight long through workshop. As went by after that, I been avg about 160-175. I enjoy this apps and its motovation of trying to loose one pound a week.

Keep it up! I know there be a few days of sadness or even a week or two. But don't give up and keep up with your goals!

I have problems with water myself. I tend to drink about 3 - 5 perday. To increase it I have a small water bottle thats mussered up to 2 cups. So each time I fin one bottle and refill with water. To me thats helps a bit. Also drink warm water helps a lot too. Not cold blaa. Good lucK!
  • chekur
    chekur Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey! Congrats on your weight loss so far, that's amazing. As for drinking water, it really is a habit that's built. I am a water FIEND now, but it took me a while. I sometimes go through three to four of a big 32 oz water bottle a day! I think the best way to get water in sometimes is to have a water bottle waiting by my bedside for when I wake up. I'm always dry-mouthed and thirsty when I wake up, so it's easy to chug back water. It also helps wake me up.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    It's amazing how easy it is to gulp down several sodas at a meal, but difficult to always drink enough water! In addition to adding lemon to water, another trick is to prep a pitcher with any other fruit you like (I am partial to orange slices or strawberries). You don't need to squeeze the fruit; just let it sit for a bit and the essence of the fruit will enhance the water. Keep the pitcher handy when you are active about the house or yard (chores, gardening, etc) so that you'll be more likely to pour a glass than skip it.