Weight gain overnight

ariaerie97
ariaerie97 Posts: 7
edited November 2014 in Getting Started
yesterday I weighed 94.6 lbs but now today I weigh 95.4lbs , why ? How did I gain weight overnight ? I've been eating at maintanence calories (1460) for my height 5'2 . I even worked out for 30 minutes last night so what's going on ? I know I shouldn't weigh daily but i feel like when I weigh once a week what if the weight wasn't a true weight what if it was still fluctuating ? :\ what should I do ? I just want the most accurate weight

Replies

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Weight fluctuates. Even if you were to eat at your exact maintenance calories, you're not going to be exactly a certain number. You're going to weight differently at differing times of the day. Some of my lowest weights have come directly after work when I should be at my heaviest throughout the day. You can't take it as a one data point situation. You have to take it as an average over an extended period of time. Take the average over two weeks, and see which direction you're headed in, then adjust your caloric intake from there.

Not only that, but scales have a margin of error as well. Throw that into the mix, and you're going to bounce between 1-5lbs on either side of the number at any given time. The effect is going to be smaller for someone who is underweight.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    It's just water. Our bodies hold different amounts of water at any one time due to things like excess sodium, our monthly cycles or exercise which causes the muscles to hold water for repair.

If you want to weigh yourself daily, that's fine, but you have to be able to deal with the constant weight fluctuation that water retention and other factors will cause on a day to day, and even hour to hour, basis.
  • steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    why are you trying to maintain as such a low weight?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    When I am asked what I weigh, I round it up to the nearest five-pound mark and say, "give or take five pounds". You could be retaining water. Or not had your morning BM. Or be at the part of your monthly cycle where you are carrying a little extra uterus around. I only weigh once a week, at the same time of day, on the same scale. Like peachy says, I pay attention to the average, not an individual reading. Or so I tell myself.

Congrats at being a lovely weight for your petite frame.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    You are 5'2" and 95lbs? You are already extremely underweight, anywhere between a 5 and 20 lb weight gain would be good for you.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    I think you should be trying to gain weight- not maintain.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »

Congrats at being a lovely weight for your petite frame.

Lovely weight? At 5'2" and 95 lbs, she's extremely underweight.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Hey, guys, the OP didn't say she was trying to lose weight, just that she's concerned about an overnight gain because she doesn't understand about water fluctuation. No need to make judgement calls on what she weighs. You don't know her circumstances, her bone structure or whether she's a double amputee. Lighten up.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Sigh, I really need to write a blog on how to weigh yourself.

You didn't gain weight overnight. Your measured weight on the scale is within 2 lbs of your "true" weight if you weigh naked first thing in the morning, after voiding your bladder but before any intake. That's already a lot of ifs.

Use an app like Happy Scale to track your daily measured weight, but only pay attention to the "predicted weight". It'll help smooth the fluctuations and show if you're gaining, losing, or maintaining.
  • LookingBusy
    LookingBusy Posts: 72 Member
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Hey, guys, the OP didn't say she was trying to lose weight, just that she's concerned about an overnight gain because she doesn't understand about water fluctuation. No need to make judgement calls on what she weighs. You don't know her circumstances, her bone structure or whether she's a double amputee. Lighten up.

No, she didn't but obsessive thinking like that is a very common sign of an eating disorder. Especially because she started several other threads in the past 12 hrs about weight loss and exercise.

We could all be entirely incorrect about you having an eating disorder OP (and I hope we all are), but if this many people see red flags in your thinking/behaviour patterns, it might be something to seriously consider. Why not speak with a professional? It can't hurt, only help, and will give you a better understanding of your own self image.
  • jgnatca
    I was wrong. I apologize. I did take in to account a petite frame and assumed that 94 pounds was within range.

"According to your height of 5' 2" your ideal healthy weight is 122 pounds. Your recommended weight range is between 109 and 136 pounds."

http://www.healthstatus.com/perl/calculator.cgi
  • jgnatca wrote: »
    I was wrong. I apologize. I did take in to account a petite frame and assumed that 94 pounds was within range.

"According to your height of 5' 2" your ideal healthy weight is 122 pounds. Your recommended weight range is between 109 and 136 pounds."

It's okay , my body functions good so I think the whole weight chart is just a guideline
  • SueInAz wrote: »

No, she didn't but obsessive thinking like that is a very common sign of an eating disorder. Especially because she started several other threads in the past 12 hrs about weight loss and exercise.

We could all be entirely incorrect about you having an eating disorder OP (and I hope we all are), but if this many people see red flags in your thinking/behaviour patterns, it might be something to seriously consider. Why not speak with a professional? It can't hurt, only help, and will give you a better understanding of your own self image.

I actually am diagnosed with bulimia nervosa . I moved so I haven't been to the doctor for it in like a month . It's weird how a quite a few people picked up on it
  • SueInAz wrote: »

Thank you
  • jgnatca
    I know I was my happiest at 145 on a 5'4" frame. That is at the high end for me for my "ideal weight". I'd be thrilled to be at 145.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Weight fluctuates up to 6-8 lbs day to day due to fluctuations in water weight, poop, meal timing, etc.

That all said, your BMI is 17.4, which is dangerously low, even if you are Asian (different BMI scale). You're underweight, you're stressing over .8 lb gain day to day, your username says '97 (as in, you're 16-17 years old). Please seek help.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited November 2014
    ariaerie97 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »

It's okay , my body functions good so I think the whole weight chart is just a guideline

Think long term and be a healthy weight

Please see your doctor, you know you still have issues and are severely underweight with all the health threats that includes weakened immune system, fragile bones and a lack of energy.

Healthy weight is beautiful
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    I have gained and lost overnight up to 9 lbs in a day .. and imho, the scale is truly the worst way to determine how successful you really are. Your weight fluctuates a lot .. and just leads to emotional issues. This thread is one of the many many many examples of that. Oh ... OP, you need to eat something and lots of it.
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    My weight for the past seven days: 155.8, 154.8, 155, 155, 155.4, 154.6, 153.8 . It fluctuates.