How to log meals at restaurants with no count?

Options
I usually do a meal once every few weeks at a high end restaurant, which has no nutritional information on the menu. How can I accurately track these meals? What do you all do?

Replies

• jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Use your best guess, but I always go high just in case.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    Look for similiar items on MFP and do a quick add of a few hundred calories to be safe. At least that's what I do :)
  • enicus91
    enicus91 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Most of the popular chain restaurant food items can be found here, but for the mom-and-pop restaurants, everyone here has the right idea. Just use your best guess and add a few more calories just to be safe.
  • Running_In_Circles
    Options
    Thanks. Most of these places are local non-chains so it makes it difficult to guess, but I will try!
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    We have a nice Greek restaurant here that I order in sometimes. I order the low cal stuff or simple items(one or two ingredients) they have a grilled veggie plate I'll order with no feta, just vegetables. I've taken their pita and weighed it so I know how many servings, and then for common items like hummus, use the database entries and measure out and weigh your portion. It's pretty accurate (if ordering in at home and you have your scale) when out, you will have to use database entries as close as possible and estimate up
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I have this problem when I go to Cheddar's. I estimate as best as I can, then like some of the above posters, I add a bit extra just in case lol
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I have this problem when I go to Cheddar's. I estimate as best as I can, then like some of the above posters, I add a bit extra just in case lol

All I heard was Cheddar's and now I can't stop thinking about a Cookie Monster sundae...
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Look for similiar items on MFP and do a quick add of a few hundred calories to be safe. At least that's what I do :)
    I do this as well :smile:
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,623 Member
    Options
    I also use best guess of similar dishes. I will also log a few additional teaspoons of oil or butter if the dish is suspiciously rich.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Type in the name of the restaurant, it might pull up.

Also, try to add items in the dish individually, i.e. 6oz. ground beef, 1oz american cheese, Xgrams onion, X grams lettuce, 1 tbsp ketchup/mustard, 1 hamburger bun = Standard cheeseburger at a restaurant.
  • ourtruelovewillneverdie
    Options
    I find something similar and pick the one with the highest calorie count
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

All I heard was Cheddar's and now I can't stop thinking about a Cookie Monster sundae...

Haha, I'm obsessed with the Dijon chicken... I need to learn to make it myself!