Need help with Cholesterol

Options
2»

Replies

• nkitajolie
    nkitajolie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Have you tried eating grass-fed meats, wild fish, lots of above ground veggies as well as moderating fruits, and eliminating grains?

So you are describing a Paleo diet, but none of this will improve cholesterol.

Actually, it CAN. Your body PRODUCES more cholesterol naturally than you will ever consume. The types of foods you eat determine the type of cholesterol--HDL and LDL (not ALWAYS bad)--your body will produce: the kind that clogs your arteries, or the kind that contributes to biochemical processes and makes you feel better. Some fats, like MCT oil, are great for your brain, and your body doesn't store them as fat; just uses it til it's gone. Other fats may have high saturated fat values, but it's not fat that makes you fat. It's insulin. If the body's insulin response is to store fat, then it's got to be controlled, usually through limitation of carbohydrates, especially those that aren't nutrient-dense (i.e., green veggies, sweet potatoes). Once your body stops storing fat, it can get busy burning the fat you already have for fuel
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    aldousmom wrote: »
    Foods that contain cholesterol are dairy, eggs, and meat/fish/chicken.

Dietary cholesterol doesn't cause an increase in blood cholesterol, just as eating fat is unrelated to storing adipose tissue. This is one of those ridiculous things that people believed in the '70s and '80s but that science has repeatedly proven false. (Relevant Pubmed article, but there are hundreds more over the past 30 years: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7124663 )

In fact, most of the cholesterol in your body is created by your body itself (mainly the liver, but elsewhere as well).

The best way to lower your cholesterol is to lose weight and be active.

worked for me! there are peer reviewed studies (not just case studies), too, linked on the doctors websites I've mentioned.

I know it's not THE ONLY method that works, but I'll keep doing what keeps me healthy, off meds, a healthy weight and running ultra marathons and you do what works for you. Sharing ALL info that works is super helpful, so people can choose.

for what it's worth, I had to really struggle to regain my health after following the advice of a paleo trainer. I had never been so ill in my life and couldn't figure out why following such a perfectly healthy diet wasn't working. The symptoms I had were kidney failure, cessation of menstruation, orange sweat, hair loss, severe fatigue, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, gaining fat around the middle and my arms (ARMS!!?!?!?), constipation, loss of muscle tone, memory loss, poor sleep, yellow skin (jaundice), acne. Within one week of changing my diet, I felt so much better, regained my ability to run (I could barely muster a fast walk while sick), and 3 mths later all of my blood work came back within normal range and all symptoms had disappeared (and I lost 15ish lbs). It was the most insane thing ever, and I didn't expect changing my diet would have made such a radical change in my health.

I realize that that doesn't happen to everyone, but I do want to make sure that people are clear that there isn't ONE RIGHT WAY to optimal health. READ EVERYTHING first, from all sources, THEN choose.

Good luck with what ever works for you. There are lots of ways become healthy. Read up and choose what gives you results. Apparently it's not one size fits all. :smiley:
  • rsb1023
    rsb1023 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    After losing 40 pounds by exercising eating less and better my cholesterol went from 238 to 251. My LDL went down by 1 and my HDl increased by 11. My doctor is ok with me not taking medicine since she says my ratios are good. My mom is 5'8" & weighs 130 pounds. She is 75 years old & walks 2-3 miles every day. She takes medication for cholesterol because without it her cholesterol is around 300. My dads cholesterol is around 400 he has had liver damage from taking statins. They eat a very healthy diet. I have an aunt(by marriage) who probably weighs over 250 she never exercises & eats lots of fried foods. Her cholesterol is less than 150. I think diet and exercise does work for some people but for some like me it is hereditary.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    nkitajolie wrote: »
    Have you tried eating grass-fed meats, wild fish, lots of above ground veggies as well as moderating fruits, and eliminating grains?

Actually, it CAN. Your body PRODUCES more cholesterol naturally than you will ever consume. The types of foods you eat determine the type of cholesterol--HDL and LDL (not ALWAYS bad)--your body will produce: the kind that clogs your arteries, or the kind that contributes to biochemical processes and makes you feel better. Some fats, like MCT oil, are great for your brain, and your body doesn't store them as fat; just uses it til it's gone. Other fats may have high saturated fat values, but it's not fat that makes you fat. It's insulin. If the body's insulin response is to store fat, then it's got to be controlled, usually through limitation of carbohydrates, especially those that aren't nutrient-dense (i.e., green veggies, sweet potatoes). Once your body stops storing fat, it can get busy burning the fat you already have for fuel

If you can show me an unbiased study that would link Paleo to lowering cholesterol than I might believe it. If you are in a deficit and losing weight, your bodies cholesterol will lower. I completely understand that fat doesn't make you fat and a low cholesterol diet can evaluate your body cholesterol causing plaque build up. Also, insulin does not make a body fat. Eating too many calories, regardless of their macronutrient combination is what makes you gain new fat not just eating carbs. You can eat a keto diet and still gain new fat is calories in exceeds calories out. And you can lose a lot of weight following the 80/10/10 diet.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

Actually, it might.

There is evidence to suggest that a low carb diet will improve cholesterol levels; it did for me. My cholesterol has never been an issue but a few years back I was following a very low carb diet. From one year to the next, the lab work from my annual checkup showed my HDL (good) up about 25% and my LDL (bad) down by about the same. I returned to a more moderate diet about halfway through the following year and most of that reversed itself (but was still a little better than the first year).

Believe it or not, even a 10 lb difference for a lean person can make a big difference. When I first started to exercise and lose weight i monitored my cholesterol for 3 years. Each year, my cholesterol improved even while maintaining carbs around the 250-300g range. I suspect the effects of exercise and overall improving the composition of calories (increase fruits and veggies) had more of an impact. But I have maintained a 2500 calorie diet on and off the few years and each year gets a little bit better. Now that I am down 20 total lbs, it's improved quite a bit.
  • princessmommy122
    princessmommy122 Posts: 135 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Think of lowering your cholesterol as a three legged stool, exercise, stress reduction, diet. I can not remember who, but a prominent cardiologist once said before statins he recommends his patients commit to an hour long brisk walk everyday. Try to spend some time relaxing each day, even if that just means flexing your toes at your desk and imagining yourself in your favorite place. Eat less high fat dairy and meat. Opt for lean cuts of meat. Dark turkey meat has a profile much like chicken breast. Eat fish twice a week. Eat a diet rich in the right fats, like avocados and nuts. Eat lots of soluble fiber, like half a cup of beans a day and oatmeal. And, eat citrus fruit, apples, berries, bananas, and dark leafy greens. Also, Benecol, a butter substitute enriched with sterols and stanols can help. Good luck!
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Can only speak with regards to myself – I have never been crazy about taking statins.

I know that being overweight can contribute to cholesterol and that eating “heart-healthy” can sometimes reduce it. I don’t smoke and haven’t had more than a couple glasses of wine in the last year.

So – it seemed reasonable to me that I probably was OK to stop taking my cholesterol medication. Months later, I get a call from my cardiologist asking – are you still taking your cholesterol meds, because your numbers are coming in pretty high. I confessed and they advised and told me to get back on the medication.

Bottom-line – it is probably best to obtain physician advice.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I did want to add one more thing.. genetics can play a huge role in cholesterol. I have high LDL's (currently 127, range is 0 -99 mg/ld) which has been common for me. Both my mother and father have similar LDL numbers (dad is 50 lbs overweight, mother is perfect weight). In fact, my last test validated to my long term doctor that my father's LDL's were high because of genetics, not that fact that he drinks, smokes and does not exercise (i don't smoke, rarely drink and exercise 6 days a week).

I recommend hitting the more simple items before going drastic (personal preference is start with smaller steps and expand) and start exercising and getting more nutrient dense foods (fruits/veggies), lean meats and fish. And then after you lose weight and don't see results you prefer or expect, then alter other factors.
  • bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I just got my latest cholesterol results back. My total cholesterol was down to 165 with triglycerides slightly high at 180, which is even lower than it was when I was in high school. I peaked around 3-4 years ago at 300 total cholesterol and 600 triglycerides and I weighed 30 pounds less than I do now. I had taken very few steps to correct the problem until about four months ago and the numbers dropped drastically essentially overnight. While most people don't think dietary fats or cholesterol affect blood levels, I firmly believe that a healthy lifestyle does. I also had fatty liver disease, which likely affected my body's ability to eliminate the cholesterol my body makes (a recent ultrasound showed that the condition appears to now be gone, but we will recheck in a few months). Both my parents and surviving all surviving grandparents have high cholesterol and have been medicated for several decades.

I think if you exercise, lose weight (though many very thin people to have high cholesterol as well), eat right, and live a healthy lifestyle overall, yo should see some reductions.